Visor scratch-HELP!

mrgr8ness

Well-Known Hunter
Well crap, I got my bucket all done and visor installed. Then decided to pull it only and try to position a little better. Now I have accidentally put like 3 small scratches, all in the same spot, right in line with the right eye. It's annoying. The scratches are small and not very deep. Is there a way to remove them? I was thinking of trying to hit the area with some 2000 grit wet sandpaper or something, but I really don't want to make things worse. Anyone with experience in this area, please advise. Thanks:(

mrgr8ness said:
Well crap, I got my bucket all done and visor installed. Then decided to pull it only and try to position a little better. Now I have accidentally put like 3 small scratches, all in the same spot, right in line with the right eye. It's annoying. The scratches are small and not very deep. Is there a way to remove them? I was thinking of trying to hit the area with some 2000 grit wet sandpaper or something, but I really don't want to make things worse. Anyone with experience in this area, please advise. Thanks:(

You can buff them out with Brasso (Brass and chrome polish).

That's right Brasso. Read the can, it's safe to use for polishing watch crystals.

I've used it on a variety of hard plastic with very good results.

I used it on my Ipod Nano...and though I was skeptical..it took all of the small scratches out and muted all of the large ones. GREAT STUFF!!!

I'd say hit the local grocery store and get some BRASSO brand, its only $4 and everyone has it.

Prymer13 said:
I used it on my Ipod Nano...and though I was skeptical..it took all of the small scratches out and muted all of the large ones. GREAT STUFF!!!

I'd say hit the local grocery store and get some BRASSO brand, its only $4 and everyone has it.

It's also good for taking the scratches off CD's, DVD's, Etc.

Looks like a trip to the store tonight. Thanks guys. By the way, this stuff shouldn't dull or cloud the surface or anything should it?

It won't dull or cloud it...or shouldn't rather. You might want to try it on the inside near the bottom where it would be less conspicous, before doing it on the outside. ;)

I used a cottom swab to rub, and I mean RUB it in for almost 15 minutes. Let it dry(takes 10-20 minutes) then take some micro fiber cloth, like the kind you get at sunglass hut for polishing your glasses and polish it with that.

I don't know if this will help at all, but if there is a TAP Plastics in your area, I noticed they sell a rubbing compound that is supposed to remove scratches from plastics.

I'm not sure of the cost either, but I think it's around $6.00.

I use Mequires ScratchX for surface scratches on plexi. I use it on my plexi bezels on arcade games (I'm a collector). You can find it in the auto cleaners section of any store. there is also another product very popular in the pinball scene called Novus. it comes in 3 stages and can make plastic look sparkling new.

just some other options...brasso does quite a good job too.

Well, the Brasso didn't seem to do much for me. I used it on my Gameboy first, and it did and ok job, but then the screen looked kind of filmy. It didn't seem to touch the scratches on my visor. I then tried some other stuff I had-GS27, the stuff that used to be on TV for automobile scratches. I used it on my Gameboy and it seemed to work awesome, without much effort. Tried on my visor-helped some but not 100%. Oh well, battle damage now I guess. Its not really that noticeable the more I look at it.

Oh, and I'll keep an eye out for the Mequires. Thanks muttley. I use Mequires detailer on my vehicles and the stuff is awesome.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back