bmx potty + filler = helmet?

thanks for the comments. i' m still beavering away on the details, havent had a chance to mould the potty yet but heres the cold cast aluminium parts ive done so far! ( thanks to sss excellent tutorial, although its been adapted for casting )

DSCF0001_31.jpg

terminal fettler said:
unfortunately i dont. i can tell you it was made by Bell, and it had a ridge around the back which i had to sand flat. also had loads of vents which had to be filled. when i measured the circumference it was approx. 15mm more than the msh dimension, so i thought it would be a good match...
Is this style close?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO64BE/ref=nosim/002-3136930-0017634?n=3375251
Doesn't really have a ridge though.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0006FK5U4.01-A3N0HBHR81I3U1._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Or closer to this style?
-Great Helmet btw!

that first one looks close, you only need a basic form to start with, by adding thin layers of filler you can tweak the overall shape until its just right...i would use those mystery helmet measurements as a guide, cheers...

Oh, I'm not planning on doing a Boba helmet at the moment, lol, I still have other projects to finish up like my wolverine claws. I was just bored and did a quick search in case any one wanted try one of there own. Once again that helmet is sweet!

Just a quick update on my scratchbuild. I've just cast the clear resin piece and installed a basic led kit i modified to include a blue/white screen light. The kit included two adjustment screws for led speed and alternation and by a total fluke just snapped into place! I couldn't find a mercury switch so have installed a basic bearing tilt switch, seems to work just fine. I'm still tweaking details on the helmet and hopefully casting soon......

DSCF0004_18.jpg

DSCF0007_14.jpg

DSCF0001_36.jpg

Holy crap! That's awesome! This makes me want to give up on attempting a scratchbuilt! But I know I'll be trying anyways...

Amazing work! For us non-tech guys, what's a bearing tilt switch? I have a mercury switch in mine but its VERY sensitive.

webchief said:
Amazing work! For us non-tech guys, what's a bearing tilt switch? I have a mercury switch in mine but its VERY sensitive.

It's basically a small tube with a ball bearing in it.

it rolls down to the end and makes contact with two terminals - completing the circuit.

webchief said:
I think they work on the same principle, its a tiny tube with two terminals at one end (these run to the battery) the bearing rolls from one end to the other either making or breaking the current. This is also a very sensitive switch, as the bearing moves easily in the tube!
Damn, you just beat me to that explanation:facepalm

Finally got round to moulding the potty! Heres a pic of the skin mould sat in its two piece jacket, the T20 silicone rubber just peeled straight off the master leaving it intact, phew. (i had visions of having to break it up ) Luckily the T20 is very elastic(y) In 48 hours time (when its properly cured) i should have a cold cast aluminium bucket...........to start painting

DSCF0001_37.jpg

terminal fettler said:
Finally got round to moulding the potty! Heres a pic of the skin mould sat in its two piece jacket, the T20 silicone rubber just peeled straight off the master leaving it intact, phew. (i had visions of having to break it up ) Luckily the T20 is very elastic(y) In 48 hours time (when its properly cured) i should have a cold cast aluminium bucket...........to start painting

I read *cold cast aluminum bucket* :love That's :eek: wow!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back