ESB helmet paint templates idea

welsh hunter

Active Hunter
A while back I began making some templates for the battle damage on the ESB helmet since I intended to paint my bobamaker in this scheme. I was giving thought to completing these templates of the signature scars.

Using the AoSW hi res images of the ESB helmet, Ive traced a couple of the signature scars in vector format . .meaning they are easy to scale without loosing detail. This bit easy though tedious :) .

The problem though is accounting for the fact that these scars have been traced as they appear on a curved surface . . meaning they would need to be distorted slightly for printing. The other problem is knowing the scale/dimensions of each scar, though members input could help solve this issue. It would be a case of trial and error I think but it is workable.

Attached is an image showing how I have traced the scars to produce a vector shape/outline and gives an idea of how the templates might look. Please note this image is not to scale with a real helmet.

Let me know what you guys think of this example and if its worth trying to complete.

esbtemplatetest8jl.th.jpg
foreheadscar6rw.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like it! I would love to have something like this when I start working on my bucket. I've been playing around at "drawing" battle damage on an old Jango Fett Rubies and everytime I do, it comes out looking like I've either dropped something like mayo or mustard on the bucket, or it looks like camoflauge.

I think this would be an excellent idea/tool for people to use!!!! PLEASE CONTINUE!

Very cool!!! I agree W/ RS. Don't worry to much about the curves etc, just keep doing it like you are. looks awesome so far.
D

I posted the ones I'd already began making before because I did a search for paint templates and came up blank (apart from one thread which just discusses the use of templates). I didn't realize there are people making some already and I certainly dont want to step on anybody's toes . .especially AFFO$ considering I've just bought an awesome looking helmet from.

The two I have already made didn't take long at all really, maybe an hour and a half for the two combined.

I didn't mention about AFFO$ doing it because i thought you were stepping on his or anyone elses toes...
I just thought this process was already underway by some of the members here...

The more people doing it the better!... as mentioned above.

Mason.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back