AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED

I just want to say thank you for researching and making this thread. I definitly agree it should be sticky. I just got back from Wal-Mart with my 20 dollars of spray paint and now I'll be ready to go once my helmet comes in the mail. Thanks again!

Forcebewitya.

I would suggest drawing the scratches onto the helmet in pencil and then filling in with the appropriate paint color. That way you will have greater control over the size, spacing, and shape of the scuffs, scratches and dings. Use a pencil, that way if you mess up all you have to do is erase and start over.

Ok, I gave into pressure and started working on a ROTJ boba fett costume, and started with the bucket. Here is what the Helmet looks like using the paint scheme in this thread before weathering.

BTW; this is a DP 97 that I heated and molded into what you see here. I dont have pictures of what it looked like when I got it because I was in a hurry to justify my purchase.

Before
DSCN2015.jpg

DSCN2014.jpg

After
DSCN2067.jpg

DSCN2068.jpg

DSCN2069.jpg

DSCN2070.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2015.jpg
    DSCN2015.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN2070.jpg
    DSCN2070.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCN2069.jpg
    DSCN2069.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCN2068.jpg
    DSCN2068.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN2067.jpg
    DSCN2067.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCN2014.jpg
    DSCN2014.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 237
You might want to hit the upper cheeks with some more black misting to kinda tone down the blue. Lookin' good so far.

If he does that now, won't it be too dark after the final misting?

I'm painting a helmet right now, and the blue looks just like that (maybe even a tad lighter), thats why I ask. I know that I tend to really blast my helmets during the final misting. This is gonna be my first blue cheek ROTJ though (just used plain old flat black last time), so I could use as many tips from the master as possible. ;)

Thanks in advance... :)

Keep in mind this is my first Boba helmet (when I joined this site it was to make Jango), and thus the first time I ever had to make a "dirty paint job". I went ahead and misted some black on the cheeks, than to make it dirty I used charchol from michlals, smeered it on, misted black paint, and then Dull coat (Krylon Matte finish) Here are the results, but I will say it looks better in person.

Before aging:
DSCN2098.jpg

DSCN2099.jpg

After aging
DSCN2104.jpg

DSCN2106.jpg

DSCN2109.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2099.jpg
    DSCN2099.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN2098.jpg
    DSCN2098.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN2106.jpg
    DSCN2106.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN2109.jpg
    DSCN2109.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN2104.jpg
    DSCN2104.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 220
If he does that now, won't it be too dark after the final misting?

I'm painting a helmet right now, and the blue looks just like that (maybe even a tad lighter), thats why I ask. I know that I tend to really blast my helmets during the final misting. This is gonna be my first blue cheek ROTJ though (just used plain old flat black last time), so I could use as many tips from the master as possible. ;)

Thanks in advance... :)

I don't think it will be too dark when you do the final misting if you go ahead and tone it down now. Plus if you look at the pic's of the ROTJ helmet on the Reference Disk, the upper cheeks have just a hint of blue showing through the black grime and weathering. From a distance they almost look black.

Last edited by a moderator:
this thread should be stickied, it's too good to let it get lost on page two. i'm looking forward to affo$ spraycan list for armor.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back