AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED

AFettFullofDollars

Well-Known Hunter
I've gotten several requests for a list of the colors I use on the buckets I paint since I use spraypaints instead of an airbrush, so here goes:
***UPDATED 4/21/19***

ESB HELMET COLORS

SPRAY PAINTS

Dome and Lower Cheeks- Rustoleum Spruce Green

Upper Cheeks- Any Flat Black spray paint misted lightly with Rustoleum Spruce Green

Mandibles, Visor, and Keyslot Area Rustoleum Satin Cabernet lightly oversprayed with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Brown Primer.

Back of helmet-Krylon Hunter Green Satin misted over with Rustoleum Dark Grey automotive primer

Killstripes- Rustoleum Gloss Tuscan Sun (Available at Lowe's)

Left Ear-Rustoleum Spruce Green

Right Ear-Rustoleum Camouflage Khaki

Tan Scratches on Back of Helmet-Rustoleum Camouflage Khaki

Burn marks on bottom edge of lower cheeks- Rustoleum Anodized Bronze

BOTTLE PAINTS USED
These are the paints I brush onto the helmet

Grey Scratches on Green Parts of helmet- Pollyscale SP Lark Dark Grey

Grey Scratches on Red Parts of helmet- Pollyscale SP Lark Dark Grey

Dark Red Scratches- Pollyscale PRR Maroon (per RS List)

Small Silver Scratches- Testors Model Master Silver Chrome

Paint Splatter Between Dent and Killstripes- Pollyscale Black Green

Light Green Scratches under Killstripes- Apple Barrel Colors 'Wedgewood Green' (20530) This can be found in the craft section of Walmart. It is an acrylic paint and has to REALLY be thinned down before using.

Light Grey Scratches on left ear-Model Master Aircraft Grey (acrylic)

Red Scratches on Left Ear-Custom mix

ROTJ HELMET COLORS

SPRAYPAINTS

Dome and Lower Cheeks- Krylon Italian Olive(3522)
This color is a Satin so it will require dullcoting.

Upper Cheeks- Krylon Navy Blue misted with Krylon Flat Black

Visor, Mandibles, Red Trim- Rustoleum Satin Cabernet misted with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Brown Primer.

Helmet Back- ColorPlace (Walmart Brand) Kelly Green

Keyslots- Krylon Grey Automotive Primer*
*Krylon makes three different shades of grey automotive primers. The medium grey is just called 'grey' on the label. The dark and light greys are labeled as such.

Left Ear-Rustoleum Satin Cabernet (For the outer edge of the earpiece) and Rustoleum Anodized Bronze.

Right Ear- Rustoleum Anodized Bronze

Killstripes- Rustoleum Fire Orange

BOTTLE PAINTS USED

Dark Grey around scratches
- Pollyscale SP Lark Dark Grey

Dark Red around Scratches- Pollyscale PRR Maroon

Light Green scratches on Lower cheeks- Apple Barrel Colors 'Wedgewood Green' (20530) This can be found in the craft section of Walmart. It is an acrylic paint and has to REALLY be thinned down before using. After it is applied, mist over it lightly with the Italian Olive.

Silver Scratches-Model Master Silver Chrome

I am always on the look out for accurate spray alternatives so if you find one you think looks better, please post it here.

Thanks,

Paul

RotJ Right Front Complete.JPG

RotJ Left Front Complete.JPG

RotJ Back Left Complete.JPG

RotJ Right Back Complete.JPG

RotJ Back Complete.JPG

RotJ Left Complete.JPG

RotJ Right Complete.JPG

ESB Dent Complete.JPG

ESB Fett Complete 11.JPG

ESB Fett Complete 10.JPG

ESB Fett Complete 9.JPG

ESB Fett Complete 8.JPG

ESB Fett Complete 7.JPG

ESB Fett Complete 6.JPG

ESB Fett Complete 5.JPG

ESB Fett Complete 4.JPG

ESB Fett Complete 3.JPG

ESB Fett Complete 1.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks alot because the colors that are listed to paint the ESB version on the color sceme post,I can't find them! I'll try with sprays then air brush the rest.

(y) (y) (y) (y)

The two helmets are a MS1 and a BKBT Jango I converted to a Boba. The picture is an optical illusion. From the angle I took it at, the BKBT helmet looks alot bigger because of its placement. The MS1 helmet is actually slightly taller, while the BKBT is bigger in diameter giving it a little more flared appearance. The thing I fell in love with about the BKBT helmet was the 'squintiness' of the visor. I know it's not screen accurate, but its a One of a Kind helmet and it's soooo Clint Eastwood. Here's a pic of the two helmets from a better angle, MS helmet on the left, BKBT on the right.

Cnv0001.jpg

Cnv0004.jpg

Cool comparison pics!
Is the vertical part of the visor skinnier on the BKBT helmet as well? It looks that way. (Don't know too much about Jango helms)

Rat_Fett said:
Thanks for the list!
Have you done a RoTJ bucket? If so what are the optional colors from these?

Yes, I have. I will amend the list at the top to include the ROTJ Colors also. Here's an example of the one I have painted.

Grant's Pictures 175.jpg

AFettFullofDollars said:
Yes, I have. I will amend the list at the top to include the ROTJ Colors also. Here's an example of the one I have painted.

Excellent, thanks much!
Now off to the shops!

BTW, would love to also see front and rear shots of the RoTJ helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here ya' go.;)

By the way, the color on the back of the helmet in the pics is NOT 'Kelly Green'. I found the Kelly Green color after I had painted this helmet and I feel that it (Kelly Green) is a more accurate representation of the color on the back of the film used helmet.

Thanks,

Paul

Grant's Pictures 176.jpg

Grant's Pictures 178.jpg

Grant's Pictures 277.jpg

Between the color list, the painting tips, and the soon to be templates, you've been quite the contributor lately.. (y) I am so completely jealous of the skills that you have.. Everything you've done looks so amazing. Great work as always..

I have 2 quick noob questions. Before I begin, thank you AFFO$ for posting this list....I'm a teacher, and plan on using my upcoming spring break to begin my first Fett bucket.

My first question is, with spraypaints can i still use a masking solution and go with a layering technique? I like the idea of picking away the topical paint layer to reveal the chrome "damage" below, and then adding some of the greys on with a brush. My second question, is are these sprays pretty easy to find at places like Loews or Home Depot, or is it best to go to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby for this? I am hoping to do ESB style paint scheme.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Musical Fett said:
I have 2 quick noob questions. Before I begin, thank you AFFO$ for posting this list....I'm a teacher, and plan on using my upcoming spring break to begin my first Fett bucket.

My first question is, with spraypaints can i still use a masking solution and go with a layering technique? I like the idea of picking away the topical paint layer to reveal the chrome "damage" below, and then adding some of the greys on with a brush. My second question, is are these sprays pretty easy to find at places like Loews or Home Depot, or is it best to go to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby for this? I am hoping to do ESB style paint scheme.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Musical Fett.... I was able to get a lot of the paints I needed at my local Wal-Mart! So, you should be able to get the pray paints fairly easy. As for the bottle paints like the PRR Maroon, or Lark Dark Gray, I'd suggest you hit up a hobby store like HobbyTown USA, or something simular in your area!

Hope the info helps!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back