AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED

WannaBeBoba said:
Musical Fett.... I was able to get a lot of the paints I needed at my local Wal-Mart! So, you should be able to get the pray paints fairly easy. As for the bottle paints like the PRR Maroon, or Lark Dark Gray, I'd suggest you hit up a hobby store like HobbyTown USA, or something simular in your area!

Hope the info helps!

I just cruised by my Wallyworld at lunch today.

I did find some of the paints but mine only carried the sortta "primary" colors, for the ColorPlace brands. Nothing like "Kelly Green" just green, and the orange was a gloss which I don't know if that was right or not.

The Krylons they had but, the "Italian Olive" was only a "satin", didn't know if that was right as the burgundy listed is "satin."

The only Rustoleum Aluminum was call "Metalic Aluminum" so I didn't know if that was correct either. And they had nothing in the "American Accent" line. So I may head over to Home Depot and a few others.

Rat_Fett said:
I just cruised by my Wallyworld at lunch today.

I did find some of the paints but mine only carried the sortta "primary" colors, for the ColorPlace brands. Nothing like "Kelly Green" just green, and the orange was a gloss which I don't know if that was right or not.

The Krylons they had but, the "Italian Olive" was only a "satin", didn't know if that was right as the burgundy listed is "satin."

The only Rustoleum Aluminum was call "Metalic Aluminum" so I didn't know if that was correct either. And they had nothing in the "American Accent" line. So I may head over to Home Depot and a few others.

I'm sorry I didn't post it above. The 'American Accents' colors can be found at Lowe's. The Italian Olive is a Satin. You have to hit it with a shot of Dullcote to knock the shine down. Same with the orange. Dullcote kills the shine. I will amend this at the top of the list.

Hey FettFull
What's your secret misting techinque? When I used to do this with model kits it would wind up as tiny "speckles" of paint, is that correct or is there a better way or attachment used?

RatFett... that's interesting. My Wal-Mart had the Spruce Green, Hunter Green, Burgandy Satin there... The only real problem I had was trying to find that Antique Blue. I went to Home Depot, OSH, and even K-Mart to look... no luck. I ended up getting something called Midnight Blue. It was the closest thing to Antique Blue I could find.

I guess I should say that you will have to check your local hardware stores and stuff as well. I just assumed that if mine carried the colors, others should as well.

sorry.:facepalm

Hey all,
New guy here.
Can anyone tell me where I can find the American accents Antque Blue? been everywhere near me and no one sells it. Also been on the Rustoleum site and they don't list it as one of their colors.
OR, can anyone sugjest and equivalent color and brand. Looking for the colors for the back of the helmet (ROTJ).
Any help will be really appreciated,
Thanks
Dragon

WannaBeBoba said:
RatFett... that's interesting. My Wal-Mart had the Spruce Green, Hunter Green, Burgandy Satin there...

Well you got the East Bay covered.
I was referring to the Milpitas WM which is by my work. I can still hit my SJ one and the Mt. View one. If you found them there, I might still be in luck.

FYI, I'm doing the RoTJ bucket so I don't need either of those greens.

Hey again,
Just read acouple of the lastest replies.
here are my search results:
Lowes; Rustoleum spruce Green, Flat black,
Wal mart; Krylon Burgandy satin,Krylon Hunter Green satin
Hobbytown USA; Pollyscale colors

Hope it helps
Dragon

Rat_Fett said:
Hey FettFull
What's your secret misting techinque? When I used to do this with model kits it would wind up as tiny "speckles" of paint, is that correct or is there a better way or attachment used?

I mist over the base color while it is still wet. That minimizes the speckles in the blue/green mix. There will be some 'speckles' but this is usually only with the Dark Grey Primer and it ends up looking like grime on the bucket.

If you are having trouble finding the American Accents 'Antique Blue' any Dark Blue spray paint, such as 'Navy' will do. You can then adjust the darkness of the back with your Med. and Light grey primer mistings during the final weathering stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFettFullofDollars said:
I mist over the base color while it is still wet. That minimizes the speckles in the blue/green mix. There will be some 'speckles' but this is usually only with the Dark Grey Primer and it ends up looking like grime on the bucket.

Ok, if I understand this correctly the misting technique is meant to appear more as "grime/dirt" specks, than a soft blend of color. Thanks!

Ok, so I went out and got most of the paints, and started with the base coat.
Being a complete noob with this, I purchased foolishly purchased one of the fiberglass buckets off eBay. Not a great helmet, but it'll do....hopefully.

Anyways, I started with the a base coat of Testors Chrome, and it appears that I went on a bit to thick, as there are some drip marks. Since this is an undercoat, can I just leave this? Or is it best to sand this completely off and try again? At this point, that wouldn't be the end of the world, but I would hate to get several colors down and have to start over.

Also, is it ok to spray some paint in a little cup and brush on some spots that I msised, or should I just spray more on?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I would sand down any drips in the paint and paint over it. Remember, paint several THIN coats. I would also dullcote the 'chrome' spraypaint before you put your next coat on. And yeah, it's okay to spray some in a cup for touch up purposes. I do that all the time.

I would use at least a 500-600 grit sand paper. Something that won't leave big scratches in the paint because they will definitely show through the next layer of paint. Also, since you are painting the silver layer first, I assume you are going to paint this using the layering method. One thing you have to watch out for is the subsequent layers of paint sticking to your masking tape when you mask off the different areas for painting. I've found that the top layers of paint don't like to stick to the silver undercoat no matter how long you let them cure. Even the blue 'low tac' masking tape will still pull the paint off. What I had to do with the masking tape was stick it to the palm of my hand several times as well as to the comforter on my bed to really, really reduce the stickiness.

2 questions.

where do you guys go to buy masking fluid? I've had to buy mine on the internet.

and AFFO$: do you just spray from the can or do you use a seperate sprayer?

Fett prop artist said:
where do you guys go to buy masking fluid? I've had to buy mine on the internet.

I got some at Michael's. I think that's a fairly big chain, isn't it? Any 'art supply' type store should sell it. Maybe Ben Franklin? Or Hobby Lobby?

superjedi said:
I got some at Michael's. I think that's a fairly big chain, isn't it? Any 'art supply' type store should sell it. Maybe Ben Franklin? Or Hobby Lobby?

I can confirm Hobby Lobby. I got some from there on Saturday.

Here's an update for those trying to find some of the paints listed.

Thanks to AFFO$'s detailed list of paints I was able to finally score all but one of the RoTJ paints listed. They were all found at Walmart as the ColoPlace brand is theirs. Don't be swayed by the shelf labels, the accurate color is on a small sticker on the can. The "Green Gloss" is actually the correct "Kelly Green."

On the downside the "American Accent" line from Rustoleum has been discontinued. My Walmart had a side aisle with closed out paints, there were a few of this line but none of the "Antique Blue" i needed. I've hit a few other stores with no luck. If anyone on the West Coast had any luck finding this line, please let me know where, or if anyone has an alternative brand of this blue, please post it.

*UPDATE: Well I checked the Rustoleum website and "Antique Blue" is not a color available in the American Accent line. If it's possible to get the number type listed on the can, maybe they've changed the name.

*UPDATE 2: It's been confirmed from an email I recieved from Rustoleum themselves that Antique Blue has been discontinued with no replacement color.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back