My MS3 progress pics

*Golf claps

Bravo! Bravo!

Can't wait to get my MS3 (I too went for the earcaps) and begin painting it. Just hope I can pull something half as good as this example off.. even if it takes me eight years instead of eight days, hehe.

Edit: Which / who's T visor did you use?

tk7602 said:
that's what i love about the latex... it cuts so much drying time out.

i messed up a little bit - i didn't put it on thick enough in some places, which makes it REALLY hard to get off.

if you try it, make sure to put a few layers of the latex down, and it will go really nicely.

Thanks for the tips. Love the bucket.(y)

Lythas Vex said:
Edit: Which / who's T visor did you use?

i got one from the ebay guy, rembrandt-enterprises. he sells them in rubies size, but i asked him to cut one larger. he sells the rubies ones for 10, and i think he charged me 14 for the bigger.

in the thread from marrow sun about the helmet, he mentions the dimensions. that's what i sent to rembrandt-enterprises and it fit perfectly.

Excellent work, very nice...

I know this is in other threads, but any chance that you could get a picture on how you added the range finder onto the post (Did you use one of the BKBT Alumiun posts?), just for future reference when I do it...

Thanks...

Caomhanach said:
Excellent work, very nice...

I know this is in other threads, but any chance that you could get a picture on how you added the range finder onto the post (Did you use one of the BKBT Alumiun posts?), just for future reference when I do it...

Thanks...

i can try :)

it's just Gooped on, so there isn't much to see... i didn't put any screws or anything in there. the way this rangfinder is sculpted didn't seem very friendly to drilling and screwing.

TK6702 PAINT LIST

Base layer- Silver?
Gray second layer - Duplicolor Grey Primer
Dome and Lower Cheeks- Rustoleum Sage Green
Upper Cheeks- Rustoleum Hunt Club Green, misted with Rustoleum Blue and Rustoleum black
Visor, Mandibles, Red Trim- Rustoleum Claret Wine
Helmet Back- Rustoleum America's Finest Green
Scratches- Fine point silver paint marker (Berol Prismacolor)

What did you use for the kill stripes?

Anything to add?

What brand of masking fluid did you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ripcode said:
TK6702 PAINT LIST

Base layer- Silver?
Gray second layer - Duplicolor Grey Primer
Dome and Lower Cheeks- Rustoleum Sage Green
Upper Cheeks- Rustoleum Hunt Club Green, misted with Rustoleum Blue and Rustoleum black
Visor, Mandibles, Red Trim- Rustoleum Claret Wine
Helmet Back- Rustoleum America's Finest Green
Scratches- Fine point silver paint marker (Berol Prismacolor)

What did you use for the kill stripes?

Anything to add?

What brand of masking fluid did you use?

kill stripes i used an orange acrylic paint, daubed on with a brush. i went to the crafts store with a printed photo from the mom exhibit and found a shade that matched pretty well.

for the fine scratches, it was a mix of the marker and a razor. the tiny dots are the marker, along with the minor damage on the rangefinder. the hairline scratches are xacto.

the masking fluid was windsor & newton tinted - the clear was a bit hard to find once it dried ;)

TK, looks great! I read through your site but since there are no pictures of the "masking removal" I've got a question. When a section was painted, say the cheeks, the way I see it is you basicly just painted over that entirely with the masking fluid. Then painted another area not worrying about the over-spray. I don't see any taping technique anywhere so am I understanding the correct?

Well done! Could you go into a little more detail about the acrylic wash technique? Do you have pics of that process?

Rat_Fett said:
TK, looks great! I read through your site but since there are no pictures of the "masking removal" I've got a question. When a section was painted, say the cheeks, the way I see it is you basicly just painted over that entirely with the masking fluid. Then painted another area not worrying about the over-spray. I don't see any taping technique anywhere so am I understanding the correct?

exactly. the masking fluid serves the same function as using tape would have. i planned out which colors to do when based on masking things off with the fluid (hence why the dome was last, since by that point i wanted most everything covered.

Count Dookie said:
Well done! Could you go into a little more detail about the acrylic wash technique? Do you have pics of that process?

i don't have any photos of that really. if you search this forum for acrylic wash you'll see a ton of different approaches to it.

this is the way i did mine:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=11081

i figured i wouldn't reinvent the wheel and go over that stuff again, but it probably would be good to add that to my web page for people that aren't here.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back