MS 3 Earcaps

MARROW SUN said:
About the armor, I am working on a set still. When its done I'll be able to do a surface coat of the cold cast metal then back it with fiberglass. So you will be able to achieve that metal look/feel if desired.

Will that add a lot of weight to the armor?

MARROW SUN said:
I doubt the keyholes were metal, but if guys want a CCM copy of my keyhole piece that is completely possible.

Very sweet that this is a possibility! :D

MARROW SUN said:
ALSO! I wanted to point out that, YES, it would have been way easier just to cast the earcaps right on the helmet, BUT, that is not accurate. The real helmet had seperate earcaps. The system I've come up with is not accurate to the way the movie helmet was designed but it just makes things easier for you guys and a lot more professional in appearance.

I like the new attachment method.

The MS3 is coming loaded with a lot of sweet features! :love

Ripcode said:
Will that add a lot of weight to the armor?

:love
thats almost garenteed. but seeing as the vest is pretty fit it wouldnt do much. also it may help support the jet pack be equaling out the weight on yer back. Keep me updated on the armor MS :D :D :D :D im verry verry interested in this.

Wait. So how much were the MS3's? And how long will you be making these? I REALLY WANT TO BUY ONE, but I am short on cash, and I probably won't have the money until summer. Will you sill be making them by that time?

MARROW SUN said:
I doubt the keyholes were metal, but if guys want a CCM copy of my keyhole piece that is completely possible.

that would be kinda neat. i think whether i would do it would depend entirely on the cost. if the upgrade cost was comparable to the ccm earcap upgrades, then i probably would.

The real keyholes on the ROTJ helmet do not look metal, I'm not exactly sure why that's been considered but it definitely looks the same material as the rest of the helmet. You can even see the white showing where it hasnt been painted on the inside.

Jango_Fett_Jr said:
The real keyholes on the ROTJ helmet do not look metal, I'm not exactly sure why that's been considered but it definitely looks the same material as the rest of the helmet. You can even see the white showing where it hasnt been painted on the inside.

hrm... maybe it's just a matter of perception. i think the keyhole area looks very similar to the earcap finish. since the keyhole area gets painted a silver color, making the keyhole piece out of the cold cast resin would just remove one small step of the painting process.

Jango_Fett_Jr said:

The keyholes look similar in finish to the earcaps. That is why I was asking "If" they were metal.

It's just the quest for knowledge to make a better helmet! :D

Welllll to be clear, it is much more of a very faded grey-red than metallic. But if you say it matches the earcap finish, keep in mind the left earpiece is actually painted resin. Take a look and see how it differs from the metal earpieces on the right side. Now that's from a more purist frame of mind, though I can definitely see why it would be desireable to have both earpieces to be made from metal (like on the ESB helmet).

Jango_Fett_Jr said:
Welllll to be clear, it is much more of a very faded grey-red than metallic. But if you say it matches the earcap finish, keep in mind the left earpiece is actually painted resin. Take a look and see how it differs from the metal earpieces on the right side. Now that's from a more purist frame of mind, though I can definitely see why it would be desireable to have both earpieces to be made from metal (like on the ESB helmet).

Okay, I just went and re-checked the reference MOM pics.

So the right ear parts are metal on the ROTJ helmet and the left ear cap is painted to look like metal. I can see that now.

The painted one looks VERY close to the metal ones. The keyholes have a similar finish to the left ear cap.

Excellent info!

Jango_Fett_Jr said:
both earpieces to be made from metal (like on the ESB helmet).

So on the ESB they are metal and then painted over?

On the ROTJ, one is resin painted to look like metal?

Man that is wacky! :lol:

Icedevil said:
woot monday! can't wait to make this a ROTJ helmet! no more esb for me:p

welcome to the bucket minority! ;)

monday... sweet. if the postal service is really on the ball, i might even see it before the end of february :)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back