Flak vest

Ronin677

Well-Known Hunter
Hi ppl

i have finally got the templates and materials sorted for my flak vest and plan to start putting it together ASAP. I wondered if ppl normally pad their vests or not. Could anyone clarify this.

The stuff I use is called Traditional Batting by Poly-Fil. It's used for crib bedding. You can get it (or another brand) at most any Jo-Ann's or Hancock Fabrics. Even Wal-Mart carries it, too.

I use a fusible batting that you can buy at Wal-Mart. I usually press it to the lining and not the outer fabric. makes it easier to put together without the batting moving around and you can cut the batting withoutseam allowances so it doesn't make the seams bulky.

Jon,
I personally would use a cotton batting. The poly batting will eventually ball up after several washings. I've learned that mistake from years of quilting. If there is nothing to keep the batting from shifting about (ie quilting, like on the sleevecaps) it will tend to look lumpy. I use a 100% cotton batting in mine. Theres my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Christi

Thanks for the advise ppl. After a little shopping around i am going to try something a little different. I managed to buy some very thin (5mm) flexible foam (similar to the stuff which backs ironing board covers). I am going to glue in between the inner and outer material of the flak vest and see what happens.

either this will give me the look i am after or i will end up a cruppled heap in the corner crying :lol:

I will post pics in a couple of days once i am done. Wish me luck, i am going in :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back