Mold Making Material

CombatBaby

Well-Known Hunter
I did a few searches and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
I'm just wondering what kind of material is used to make those molds that have a blue color when they cure. I see a lot of people using them to make molds for their own sculpted props and I figure that is the best road to go down when I want to make casts of some of mine. I've done a lot of resin work before but I never used mold materials like that and I'm just wondering if anyone off hand knows what that is, where I can buy/order some, the rough costs, and if anyone has used it before and has any feedback.

thanks

-=QuinN!

You're probably thinking of rtv silicone. Depending on the manufacturer, it can be other colors. Try looking at www.smoothon.com and see what you can find to suit your needs. I recomend the mold max 30. It is a very durable molding compound, and will give you many castings before it starts to die.

judz dwedd said:
You're probably thinking of rtv silicone. Depending on the manufacturer, it can be other colors. Try looking at www.smoothon.com and see what you can find to suit your needs. I recomend the mold max 30. It is a very durable molding compound, and will give you many castings before it starts to die.

bingo! thanks a million

-=QuinN!

judz dwedd said:
So, where in Wisconsin are you located?

In New Berlin, suburb of Waukesha county, and about 15-20 minutes from the city of Milwaukee. I go to school at UWM for art education.

-=QuinN!

i actually live in the air, so it'd be hard.

you see, my space ship hovers around the city. it has a cloaking device so i don't hear from the cops too much.

-=QuinN!

CombatBaby said:
i actually live in the air, so it'd be hard.

you see, my space ship hovers around the city. it has a cloaking device so i don't hear from the cops too much.

-=QuinN!

Really? i live in an underwater house somewhere on san diego beach. there's this big window where you can see the whole ocean. also, my house uses water to make electricity. how does ur house make electricity?

The Blue material you are referring to is used by a lot of professionals but most buy from other sources that are much cheaper than Smooth-on.

I buy GI-1000 [SIZE=-1]RTV Silicone Rubber [/SIZE]from:

Circle-K Products
P.O. Box 909
Temecula, CA 92593
Phone: (951) 695-1955
Fax: (951) 695-0605

Email: sbkcirclek1@verizon.net

They may have a local distributer in your area.

There is a silicone I have seen in Home Depot that comes in 5 gallon buckets. Anyone know what this might be and if it is usefull for helmet sized molds?

Edit: I'll probably be going there tomorow, I'll try to see what the label says.

I went to Home Depot and couldn't find it, I look forward to hearing
if anyone else found it at their Home Depot location.

digital509 said:
There is a silicone I have seen in Home Depot that comes in 5 gallon buckets. Anyone know what this might be and if it is usefull for helmet sized molds?

Edit: I'll probably be going there tomorow, I'll try to see what the label says.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back