New guy and his new helmet! (work in progress)

travsall

Hunter
First off, I'd like to say thank you to everyone in this forum, it has been a veritible plethora of knowledge and reference, without which I know my helmet would not have have turned out near as good, or gone so smoothly, so thank you!

Now, onto what you all wanna see, the bucket! It's a kit from sgb I got from ebay, I'm sure you know all the details of it. I had a friend of mine do the fiberglass work, since I really don't like fiberglass, and he does, not to mention he does damn good work on it too! So here's the helmet as he recieved it
boba1.jpg

and on Dec 18th, when I recieved it.
The resin parts, ear pieces, and range finder.
bf1.jpg

the helmet.
bf2.jpg

bf3.jpg

bf4.jpg

bf5.jpg

and sicne then, I have been working like a man possessed!! Here is the silver undercoat
bf9.jpg

bf10.jpg

bf11.jpg

I tried to go with Rogues colors, but could only really find Panzer olive green at the PM hobby I hit, so I had to make a few of my own shades. Here I have the dome, back and outter cheeks done. Dome in panzer, back in panzer and a little aircraft interior black, cheeks in panzer and a lot of the black.
bf15.jpg

bf16.jpg

bf17.jpg

bf18.jpg

And the rest of the base colors finished, and the kill stripes. No luck with box car red, so I went with insignia red and a touch of the black, by my eyes, not too bad. The kill stripes are acrylic paint, red and a little yellow and black.
bf20.jpg

bf21.jpg

bf22.jpg

bf23.jpg

And here it is weathered, over spray with some acrylic, black and a grey/blue color, then the silver scratches, and some dark grey. Obviously I didn't do the full screen accurate version, more from reference, and what I liked.
bf25.jpg

bf26.jpg

bf27.jpg

bf28.jpg

bf29.jpg

bf30.jpg

bf31.jpg

bf32.jpg

I of course wanted to do the articulated range finder, so needed a way to make the ear removable, came up with this system of pieces I had. A snap assembly, and 3 metal posts, seems to do the trick pretty well, even if it doesn't look exacly beautiful!
254101.jpg

on the ear
254102.jpg

and how the fit together
254103.jpg

And the latest work from last night, the 2 red LED's for the RF. Wired them up with a button cell and a mercury switch, the don't strobe, but they're good enough for me, to sit on my shelf for now!
bf34.jpg

bf35.jpg

bf36.jpg

bf37.jpg

Not seen, is the interior, I lined it with a black pleather/vinyl and added some padding, an old unused set from a Cooper hockey helmet. The few things left to do, is get the T visor, ordered it from ebay, the smoked acrylic for ROTJ, and I definitely plan to get a set of the interior pieces from Marrow Sun when they go back up for sale! And to finish off the stand, cover the wood dowel with a sleeve of some sort, when I figure out what to use. But other then that, pretty well finished! I would love to hear any comments, and will of course update this thread as I finish things off!

Attachments

• bf1.jpg
    bf1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 354
  • bf2.jpg
    bf2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 193
  • bf3.jpg
    bf3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 189
  • bf4.jpg
    bf4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 184
  • bf5.jpg
    bf5.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 179
  • bf9.jpg
    bf9.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 191
  • bf10.jpg
    bf10.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 193
  • bf11.jpg
    bf11.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 184
  • bf15.jpg
    bf15.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 181
  • bf16.jpg
    bf16.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 183
  • bf17.jpg
    bf17.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 181
  • bf18.jpg
    bf18.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 189
  • bf20.jpg
    bf20.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 188
  • bf21.jpg
    bf21.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 387
  • bf22.jpg
    bf22.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 184
  • bf23.jpg
    bf23.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 179
  • bf26.jpg
    bf26.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 172
  • bf29.jpg
    bf29.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 179
  • bf30.jpg
    bf30.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 175
  • bf31.jpg
    bf31.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 178
  • bf32.jpg
    bf32.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 184
  • bf34.jpg
    bf34.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 151
  • bf35.jpg
    bf35.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 186
  • bf36.jpg
    bf36.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 175
  • bf37.jpg
    bf37.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks awesome nice job....in the pic of the ear parts you show a rf top with a little square at the bottom and a removable cover...thats cool...I make a solid one did you mod the one I sent or get a different one?

Thanks a lot guys! All that means a lot comming from the Fett experts! Thanks for the welcome too.
I always like seeing the progress of a piece, so when I do something up I usually do some progress stuff with it.
That range finder is a hollow one my buddy had that did the fiberglass work for me, it was an extra he had laying around, so he sent it over to me with the kit so I could do the lights! Still have the solid one here, trying to figure out some little project I can do with it, really nice piece, no way I could toss it!

tk7602 said:
i took the photos from mine, but i never bothered to post them. too intimidated by the other work i've seen here ;)
You shouldn't be.....that's what this forum is for.....Besides your finished product turned out AWESOME...(y) ...i'd be proud of it.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back