Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates

I can't say for sure but I think the 501st is looking for quality regardless of how you got there. Once it is painted who is going to know what it is made of.

Alan

P.S. I just noticed that this thread has over 12,000 views, very cool!

Hey Wizardofflight,

If you reverse the way the flat pattern is laid out, the middle of the dome won't want to come to a point. I modified your template so it is stronger in the center. It's not perfect, but I will tweak it later.

I will post pics of my finished cardboard dome using these patterns when I get it done.(these are not complete)
dome1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody got some tips for making those cheekbones work? I know how they are supposed to go together, but the Sintra is fighting me on this...I can't seem to get the right "depth" of curvature to the upper pieces when I place them on the "step" of the dual lower pieces (they look too shallow)...should I cut them into smaller sections, or use heat to bend them? I'm using the 2 mm sign Sintra...also, should I attach the upper pieces to the helmet mandibles first, and then attach the dual lower pieces? Can anyone suggest any curse words I haven't used yet??:p
Rob

Anybody got some tips for making those cheekbones work?
The easiest way I think is to use thinner Sintra. I built the whole helmet with 1mm Sintra, it was easy to cut by regular sissors. And was bendable pretty easily. Late re-inforce the cheeks by double layering with sintra and/or with resin and glass mats.
For glueing I used super glue and Pro Weld. With the superglue I could glue edge on edge by holding it just 5 seconds. That already became extremely firm! After that, put some Pro Weld on the edges, it will melt them together...
Look here are some photos.
I will start a new scratchbuild thread shortly, maybe you can adobt some things. I learned a lot from SD68's scratchbuild thread, look here :
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=13420

cheek1.jpg

cheek2.jpg

Chris

Look here are some photos.
I will start a new scratchbuild thread shortly, maybe you can adobt some things. I learned a lot from SD68's scratchbuild thread, look here :
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=13420

Chris...thanks for the pics... those cheeks look sweet! You make it look so easy....and I'm doing 3 pots at once, so I wanted to make it as streamlined a process as I can...please, post your tutorial/thread as soon as you are able...I'll be eagerly awaiting it!
And yeah, SD68's thread has been my bible so far through this whole maddening process!:eek:
Thanks again,
Rob

This is really amazing stuff! even though I just bought an ESB helmet, I plan to use these templates to scratchbuild a white fett helmet eventually.

Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication to the hobby!

new pics of my "Skater helmet"

Here are some new pic of my scratchbuild helmet using a skater helmet for
the dome.
Hope you like it.

Thomas

P6260132.jpg

P6260133.jpg

P6260134.jpg

P6260135.jpg

please, post your tutorial/thread as soon as you are able...I'll be eagerly awaiting it

Thank you Rob! Maybe next weekend I have some time left to write the tutorial. It'll be a lot of work, besides I have to build a bucket :)
Yesterday I start detailing the cheeks, the photos you saw before was right after glueing and a little bit of sanding.
I think a good way maybe is to cut the 2mm sintra cheeks in ,say 6 pieces. I made 4... You cannot bend the 2mm stuff, so all you have to build is a n-gon. The rest does the putty...
3 Pots ? Thats a lot of work you may have (y)
Wouldn't it make more sense to make a mold then ?

HelmetAlmostDone.jpg

Good work Thomas ! Another Boba made in Germany, Prost ! :cheers

See ya,

Chris

Tazman...that's nice work you've done there...thanks for posting the pics!(y)

Chris,
I must make a correction....like you, I'm using the 1mm Sintra also, not the 2mm....after your comment on cutting it with scissors (which I do), I checked it last night with a micrometer...looks like I'm going to take your lead and cut the upper cheeks into 4 to 6 separate pieces, and work them in that way, and use the putty to smooth the seams....BTW, what exactly is "Pro-Weld"? is it something I can get here in the States? Do you have a brand name?
Rob

I must make a correction....like you, I'm using the 1mm Sintra also
Oh great Rob ! That makes it a lot easier ! "Pro Weld" is an american brand for a special polistyrol glue. (http://www.granddadshobbyshop.com/Ambroid_Pro_Weld.jpg)
I used the name here because most of the "Bucket" builders are from the states. In fact I use the german version "UHU Plast" its about the same. Its a glue which welds the the styrene together. i use it only for bigger glueing areas. But you need to use it with a brush then. See here I have found a picture my gluing stuff is on...
Glue.jpg

Chris

@ Tazman, from where do you will get your visor for the helmet ? Do you have a suggestion. In Germany nobody sales green Visors here... Except one and they are way too expensive !!

Chris

Hi, Chris!

I think I´ll buy the visor at eBay! There are three sizes and Ineed the extended size.
By the way: the seller is a member on this board but I can´t remember his name.

Thomas

Chris

To clarify real quick, Sintra isn't styrene. Sintra is PVC. Beautiful job on that bucket so far. What did you use for the dome? Or did you scratch build that from the WoF plans too. Keep up the progress pics.

-x

Thanks, Chris...I'll be going down to my local hardware store this afternoon and see if I can find some of the Pro-Weld, or another product that is comparable to it!:)
Rob

Here's a pic or two showing the fit of the cheekbones without having to cut them...these have been taped on; tomorrow I will glue them in and shape them a little better....but hey, Alan's templates are the bomb! (y)
S6300192.jpg

S6300196.jpg

Rob

Attachments

• S6300192.jpg
    S6300192.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 224
  • S6300196.jpg
    S6300196.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 224
This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back