Boba Fett Helmet Blueprints/Templates

I printed out your template (amazing, BTW,) but after looking at it, I'm not quite sure how to assemble it. Maybe a little numerical/alphabetical system could help? I'm trying to make it out of for sale signs and 1mm poster board. Before anyone raises a red flag, it only has to be wearable for 2 days. I just need help assembling it, and I only have 10 days to throw everything together! :cry

This thread is the "offical" tutorial for the Helmet templates.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=20752

Here are a few excellent threads:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=20460&highlight=cardboard

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=14780&highlight=cardboard

Also there are a number of excellent threads on scratch building a helmet from the templates, things to search for in the Helmet section are scratch built, cardboard, WOF. That should yield a number of thread to help you out.

If you any specific question just ask.

Alan

Updated the dome templates in the first post. They were a bit small, they needed to be enlagred 103%. I also added a scale so you can check to make sure that you are getting the proper size.

Thank you Fettenstein01 for keeping me honest!!

Alan

Hello,

I have updated the first thread again, this time to add the helmet templates in the A4 size format. These include the dome, ears and the helmet. I am still resizing hte rangefinder templates to fit the format. Stay tuned for one more update.

Alan

Oh wow A4 format, this will help to us European builders (y).

They were a bit small, they needed to be enlarged 103%. I also added a scale so you can check to make sure that you are getting the proper size.

For the dome I did built a little extension first to compensate the very little size difference...

IMG_6661-sm.jpg

..but later on I decided to build a new dome from clay (I made some mistakes building the first from paper). By the way Alan, it's almost done! Picture will come up soon!

The blue pigmented material ( I think was liquid latex which requires a catalyst to `activate') was the stuff peeled away from the finished mould of vaders helmet. Moving backwards from this, the blue stuff was encased in a fibreglass mould to maintain the shape during the curing process.
To create a mould of your helmet would require painting or smothering the helmet in the liquid latex, The blue colour of the latex is not necessarily an indication of a particular brand or product as we add a few drops of pigment ( paint) to ensure a proper mix with the catylist. Sorry for the long winded explanation. The liquid latex lined moulds are great for multiple copies without damage to the mould surface. When they show the creation of Vaders helmet you can see them painting the `gel-coat' directly to the latex mould, then the fibreglass matting or finer sheets can then be layed inside.
After they remove every thing from the mould you also see them flop the blue latex thing on top of a `helmet stand', with this latex mould technique this stand could even be the original carving from which the mould was made.Ive taken moulds from some really odd stuff, leather sand paper, tree bark. I have found liquid latex to be extremely co-operative to removal from even rough surfaces without any release agents being applied to the moulded article.
I hope the info here is helpful, I also hope it is all correct.
My background is in composite racecar seats, kevlar/ carbon, plastics and now leathers (in restoration). Any questions or corrections very welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wizard I must tell you these templates rock.

I made my middle son a great jango helmet with your templates, out of card stock type material and used a exposed x-ray film for the visor. Very sweet. I had gone back and started again trying to make an acurate helmet to make a mold of and noticed that the new coke bottle shape (middle section) is a great dupe of the clone helmet mandibles in ROTS, so with a few mods (4th day working it out with tape now) your template has led me to a great ROTS Clone Dome. I will post when I can find my camera. Many thanks my man, excellent job, well done.:)

I'd be really interested in seeing that, as I'm trying to make an Ep. III cardboard clone helmet myself right now. I think it'd be really cool if we could call on Alan to help us with it. How about it, Alan? How busy are you right now? WizardOfFlight Clone helmet? Hmm? ;)

Did someone say Ep-III Clone helmet? Boy do I have a surprise for you guys! Once the cold weather set in, I'll have more time to devote to templates, so keep an eye out.

Keep posting those scratch builds. They help keep me inspired to do more!

I'll be back!

Alan

Yeah! that's what I'm talking about! Go Alan! I can't wait! BTW, how do you make the templates anyway? I'm trying to do one with Pepakura, but I can't even model the thing yet. Just wondering. Thanks again!

Did someone say Ep-III Clone helmet? Boy do I have a surprise for you guys! Once the cold weather set in, I'll have more time to devote to templates, so keep an eye out.

Keep posting those scratch builds. They help keep me inspired to do more!

I'll be back!

Alan

Good to see ya back bro! hope the break has recharged those batteries? ;)

I'm confused why the letter size templates are all separate but the A4 size file is compiled together. The problem I'm having with the latter size being separate files is that they seem to be at different scales. They are actually huge and to fit them on letter size Acrobat has to scale them down but it scales the helmet and the dome at different percentages. Also the dome template pdf is the wrong orientation for the paper so if I change it the scale is different yet again. I'm very confused, can some one explain to me what I'm doing wrong because I've been reading these forums and I haven't seen anyone else saying they had this problem. ???????

WOF, I just wanted to say thanks for these amazing templates. I ran across them quite by accident the other day, and they inspired me to re-register here and get to work on a costume - a project I'd given up on before even starting three or four years ago. Suddenly, it seems to be do-able again. :)

One sheet of matting board and a few hours later...

helmet1.jpg

My only regret is that I have to get some sleep and won't make any more progress tonight. :lol:

I guess the big question now that I've started is, will this end up as a Boba or Jango? Hrrmmmm....

These templates are Great I used a Infants Pokemon helmet for my dome here is a progress piture from my helmet. I had an issue flaring at the base. It was because i tried to put it together befor i found the tutorials. it was glued and baked before I got

index.cfm

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back