Cutting sintra?

kibosh

Active Hunter
I've read a few posts here on the best way to cut sintra. It seems like the exacto knife method would be murder on my hands. I used a cutting wheel on my dremel, but it gave off terrblie oders. I'v eread that those fumes are toxic as well. My question is, how toxic are they? If I was just making a few cuts in my garage and then left everything until the fumes went away, how much danger is there? I figure I'll only be inhaling them for a couple of minutes. Any advice how to avoid inhalation all together?

I'm also concerned with sanding. Dust the sintra dust pose any additional problem? I do wear a cheap breathing mask when sanding to keep the dust out of my lungs, but is the residue on the garage floor dangerous?

Thanks guys!

Eric

Ok bro, here goes:

Your best bet hands down, is a stanley utility knife ($4-11 @ any Lowes, Home Depot, etc). IF you use a straight edge and score it then progressively put more pressure in you will be fine.

The fumes from cutting and heating the sintra are indeed toxic and a RESPIRATOR is highly suggested. A regular dust mask won't cut it. The dust isn't too bad, but I'd make sure to sweep up afterwards with the door open and mask on. Whenever I clean up I use a mini vac and it helps.

The main reason to stay away from a cutting wheel: it melts as it cuts, so any "lines" that you are following will have to be trimmed anyways with a knife or file. Might as well use the knife from the begining.

Kibosh,

Prymer13 is pretty much right on. I used a regular cheep mask when boiling Sintra and had a sore throat afterwards.....invest in a good respirator. As for cutting, I cut out my armor from 1/4 inch Sintra using a Jigsaw. It worked well because it was fast and it didn't melt anything. I cut it all outside! I used a file and sand paper afterwards to clean up the cut, again, outside. Turned out pretty nice. The thing about the fumes is that you can't see or smell anything. I usually eneded up with a soar throat like I mentioned (Before I read that it was dangerous). It's not worth taking the risk. Work with it outside and buy a good quality mask. Sometimes the masks will say on them what type of particles they will filter, mine had a valve on the front.
J-ROCK

Thanks guys. We're getting into the Michigan winter months so working outside doesn't sound too appealing...

How much should I expect to pay for a respirator???

Man. Cutting sintra with a utility knife is SOOOO easy. I have no idea why I had reservations about doing it. Like Prymer said, just score with progressivley increasing pressure. 3-4 good swipes got me through 3 mm sintra without any pain to my hands.

Of course, I'm only doing straights at this point. Curves may be more difficult.

And watch your fingers! I came close a few times to accidentally shortening mine...

I think the stroke of a jig saw is more abrupt...plus it causes serious vubrations to go thru the piece. Unless you have a scroll saw like JK (They have a much finer blade, and a stable work surface to brace your piece on) I would still use a knife.

What type of blade are you using on your scroll saw? I tried cutting sentra tonight and it seemed to melt back together where I cut. Do you have any tips for how to cut it and get a clean line that doesn't melt together?

Steve

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back