Rangefinder circuit

mrgr8ness

Well-Known Hunter
I developed this circuit to install in my rangefinder. I drew it up in Electronics Workbench. It's a basic, alternating flashing (2) LED's.
rangefinder.gif

It works pretty well. I built it in my breadboard, but installed a 250K potentiometer as R2, that way you can adjust the frequency of the LED's(make them flash faster or slower).
Image1711.gif

I am going to build it into a board that should fit easily into my range finder, and store the 9V battery in my helmet. It's a simple circuit, thought I'd share the wealth. I am more than willing to help with any questions. I will also take any suggestions to any change I need to make.

gr8

Last edited by a moderator:
mrgr8ness said:
I am going to build it into a board that should fit easily into my range finder, and store the 9V battery in my helmet.
How do you plan on wiring the battery to the RF?

The idea is to run the wire through the stalk. My stalk is plastic, so I am going to try and cut a groove on the inside(toward the helmet). Then bury the wire, bondo, sand, and paint. Either that or find a hollow stalk.

Very cool, I have a similar setup with my aluminum stalk which I drilled out. I suggest not bothering with the tilt switch, instead make a contact on the stalk, and the earcap where the stalk hits it. That way it only turns on when in the down position ;)

I hope I'm not hijacking.......
My range finder (No LED's) is hooked up to a servo motor and I find my range finder sometimes wants to come down with the weight, I don't think I can add more weight to it by adding LED's and wire. What do you guys do? I'm using 9volts to power the servo. BTW I have a DP '95 RF that has been hollowed out?
Thanks for the wiring diagram, I've been looking for that. I'll be making the circuit and trying it out anyway. Maybe I need to increase my servo voltage?
J-ROCK

Jango_Fett_Jr said:
Very cool, I have a similar setup with my aluminum stalk which I drilled out. I suggest not bothering with the tilt switch, instead make a contact on the stalk, and the earcap where the stalk hits it. That way it only turns on when in the down position ;)
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually thinking of going that way, before I started reading of people using "tilt" switches. I was going to use a mercury switch from a thermostat. I will have to see about installing a contact switch in my helmet. I really want to set up my servo at the same time too. I am just starting to paint my bucket now. I am already getting thoughts of a helmet upgrade, so not sure how many gizmos I want to put into this one :p

J-ROCK said:
I hope I'm not hijacking.......
My range finder (No LED's) is hooked up to a servo motor and I find my range finder sometimes wants to come down with the weight, I don't think I can add more weight to it by adding LED's and wire. What do you guys do? I'm using 9volts to power the servo. BTW I have a DP '95 RF that has been hollowed out?
Thanks for the wiring diagram, I've been looking for that. I'll be making the circuit and trying it out anyway. Maybe I need to increase my servo voltage?
J-ROCK
Hmm not sure on that, I haven't got into the server yet. I would say it will be dependant on the servo motor itself. Maybe yours is undersized. I saw some links floating around to what guys are using for a servo. I plan on installing this circuit on perfboard. It should be very light.

Ok, I'm building a board for this circuit to install in my RF. I am thinking of adding a third LED, for the small screen. I am guessing the screen should be lit when the RF is down? I cannot remember anywhere in the movie where it shows this thing actually working?!?!

Jango_Fett_Jr said:
Very cool, I have a similar setup with my aluminum stalk which I drilled out.
How on Gods green earth did you drill out your stalk? :eek:
I just got ahold of one and was thinking of how to do this setup with the solid stalk. Tips would be great!!!!!
Sorry didn't mean to divert from the task at hand.
Christi

The scene in ESB where Fett is following the Falcon after the garbage dump. The RF is in its down position, inferring that he's using it (For whatever it's supposed to really do)

Shinobi

Hmm, but I dont remember actually seeing the lights working in the scene, have to watch again. It seems like the green LED should be on with the RF in the up position, and the red flashing LED's when in the down position. Does the green still stay on in the down position? It seems logical that you would want the screen lit when down, so's you can use it to track your bounty. I really want to add to my circuit to make it right. Might as well. Need more input here.

Ok, please disregard my old schematic, it was wrong. New one is posted with the screen LED added. Thanks to Brak's Buddy for the info, so I built it right. I have now built it into a prototype board that fits perfect in my rangefinder. Just need to run the power wires down the stalk. Pics will be up soon

crazy4BobaFett said:
How on Gods green earth did you drill out your stalk? :eek:
I just got ahold of one and was thinking of how to do this setup with the solid stalk. Tips would be great!!!!!
Sorry didn't mean to divert from the task at hand.
Christi
he used an extra long drill bit. if i recall, he went through one side by the bottom acceentaly wile doing it. but its pretty cool.

Well, it really only takes soldering skills, plus a little background in board design in order to get it all to fit. Here is my proto-type board-

Image185.gif

I have not added a battery or switch yet. I am still debating whether to make it all self contained, or run the battery wire down the stalk. I may build a few extras if the demand is there, but I think most would be looking for a self contained board.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back