How to thinken/reinforce a resin helmet?

bobafett669

Active Hunter
OK I need some help. This is not a fett project but the same building theories can be applied. I have a resin Clone Helmet that is pretty thin and I want to reinforce it from the inside. I saw one of these dropped at a recent show and it cracked in multiple spots. I was going to use fiberglass cloth and resin that I got at Lowes but i was warned that "The resin from Lowes or Home Depot will de-laminate from the original material." Has anyone done something like this?

ep3helmet.jpg
helmetb.jpg

Try a marine supply store and look at in the boat maintence/ repair area. Maybe they will have something specifically for that. After all, boats are fiberglass and they need to be repaired from time to time. It's worth a shot.

My advise in this matter would be to make sure the entire inner surface area has been scuffed up real well, I recommend using an 80-100 grit sandpaper. I've never had a problem with Urathane and polyester resins bonding, but like pennywise recommended I too use only marine grade products. I would pick up a small bottle of fiberglass resin and use FG MATT not cloth, 1oz cloth should do the trick. Perhaps you could ask our in-house master, JD more advice.

you can also use West system epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth this will not cause delamination and is much cleaner to work with

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back