No turning back now (pic)

Fettist

Hunter
Got my first bucket today and am excited as can be about painting it...

Thanks DL

K so im ready to paint it and have done a lot of research and am wondering if these links are the paints I need for my airbrush... And for an esb bucket!

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1151

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=257

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=211

Thanks TDH!

Pictures 186posting.jpg

Those are it,except there are about a dozen more:lol: RS's list is on the top thread,but doesn't include testors order #'s. I can get them off my list. I might still have my original packing list with the info. on it....

Steve

EDIT: Crap,...don't have the list of #'s. Just make sure to get the entire ESB list from RS's thread..it'll cost a bit,but is the only way to get a screen accurate paintjob. The "Blue" that I spoke of for the rear of the helmet wash in my PM is called "Dunkelblau RLM 24" it is a Model Master paint #4773.

Last edited by a moderator:
Testors colors-

* Panzer Olive Green (Cheeks and dome) F505113
* Boxcar Red (mandibles) F414281
* UP Armor Yellow (Verticle stripes) F414170
* MILW Road Orange (Verticle stripes) F414152
* SP Lark Dark Gray 'unsure' (Gray around scratches) F414182
* Rust (various locations) F414323
* Chrome (scratches) I think this was actually a color called bright silver but this works best.
* Euro Dark green 'Unsure' back of helmet. 4729 (Model Master)
* Panzer dark yellow (Rangefinder ear) if you do not have aluminum ears you will need to mix a silver with this to tone it down. F505111
* RLM Green (Left ear) 'unsure' F505056
* PRR Green (Inside cheeks) this is practically black. F414164
* Rock Island Maroon (Red scratches on left ear). F414248
* Light Gray (on left ear) any light gray will do. F505061

I got the compressor fitting today for my airbrush, so I will be starting mine this weekend.

Spideyfett said:
Take your time...and Great Start!!
Need any pointers just PM me...:)

what kind of bucket is that again.??

I totally suggest taking the advice of anything Alex has to say!

finished1.jpg

Garyfett34.jpg

Attachments

• Garyfett34.jpg
    Garyfett34.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 167
  • finished1.jpg
    finished1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 174
Man thats a nice paint job!
One day, one day,i shall have one as nice:)

Pavespawn said:
I totally suggest taking the advice of anything Alex has to say!

finished1.jpg

Garyfett34.jpg

Attachments

• finished1.jpg
    finished1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Garyfett34.jpg
    Garyfett34.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 395
Ok painting question...

In the tutorial for the esb at starwarshelemts.com Steve the Swede says to,

" Pic 4: The kill stripes been added. They were masked with air brush film and liquid latex. The color used was "Polly scale UP Armor yellow". Then the entire helmet was dusted with black pastel powder to make the colors "deeper". Some prefer washes but I've always loved to work with pastel. The kill stripes was also dusted with red pastel powder and they will receive a second dusting later on."

I was wondering about the pastel powder to make the colors "deeper", I am going topical until I reach the back of the helmet (like the tutorial)...At what exact points do I apply dullcote?

Thanks!

I am starting today but I have no idea what I am doing... I dont think I have enough paint, how much does it take to get the job done. IE: how much panzer olive green for the whole bucket???

And I looked everywhere for a masking tutorial but I cant find anyone with a pic in the process of masking...I only see the finished product.

Last edited by a moderator:
I belive i only used one can of Panzer olive green.. but that was just one coat. so atleast one can per coat... and i used thinner to dilute the paint for my paint brush as well..

oh.. and i used Model Master paints.. but the cans should be about the same in volume..

Id like to do my helmet due to lack of cash. But every time I look at all the small details it just turns me away.lol Good luck brother

OK so finally I had the time to paint a bit...It was frustrating at start but not too bad after the whining ended...
I have pics of my fiance masking for me. That was harder looking than it really was...even though I didn't mask it. I will add those later if anyone wants them. They are in my other camera and it is dead right now...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Looks fine.....it's too hard to tell from the pics whether you need another coat. I'd advise two just to be sure.

I'd also advise using some model masking tape from here forward. It cuts and bends MUCH better than household masking,which you're going to need for the inner cheeks and mandibles. It usually comes in 1/2,1/4,1/16 inch increments. I use a brand called "Pactra"....it can be found at www.towerhobbies.com which is an R/C site,but has plenty of other stuff. I believe Testors has plenty of their own mask,however I've just become used to "Pactra".

Once you mask the outline of the area to not be painted with the modelling mask you can go in with regular household mask to do the rest....just overlap onto the model mask....NOT the tan stuf as it's too sticky....I'd advise 3M painters Blue tape in medium tack.

Looks good so far(y)

Steve

Looks good so far. (y)
A second coat of paint couldn't hurt.
I also agree with DL44 on the tape suggestion. It also helps if you stick the tape on a solid surface first before putting it on the helmet. It helps reduce the chance of the previous layer of paint peeling up with the tape.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back