Paint peels off with tape

Jancelot

New Hunter
I'm in the process of painting my MLC in ROTJ colors. I did the blue part using 3 different paints (Sail Blue misted with Sky Blue and Metallic Blue) and it turned out great. I then taped off the pack and did the yellow/orange parts. But when I peeled the tape up some of the blue paint came off with it.

I wanted to add in that I had laid down a metallic chrome undercoat. I was having problems with the paint not sticking to it due to the paint dust. I resolved it by putting on 2 or 3 coats of the clear coat.

I relatively new to these techniques so I'm probably just making a noob error. I was thinking of laying a clear coat over the blue this time to keep it from peeling up. Anything other suggestions, tips or admonishments are welcome.

Same thing happened to me.. but with other paints. I think the best trick is to let the paint harden and cure for atleast 24 hours inbetween paintjobs (and masking of with tape)

But if you are in a hurry you can always take some of the sticky out of the tape by placing it on your t-shirt first.. (or get a nice face peel by sticking the tape to your face before placing it on the bucket. )

I clear coat the paint before I apply tape over it and it appears to work ok. Make sure you get the whole area - it sucks for the paint to peal off great except for one area.

Also make sure you are using the low tack tape and not regular masking tape (the shirt trick BS refers to also works good)

Loranar

I had let this paint dry for a few days before I applied the tape. But I'll do the clear coat and take a little bit of the sticky off. Both are excellent ideas. Thanks!

Oh, and I am using the blue painter's tape and not the regular yellow stuff.

It's your silver. If you add a silver undercoat and then the paint on top and add tape on that. The tape will pull it off b/c the silver has like a dust to it once it dries. Rub you finger across that silver or look on the back of the paint that came off and youll see what I mean. I used steal wool to dull it out a little and then added the paint. Still had a little problem with it coming off but not near as bad.

Posted this in the MCL jet pack thread...it should help..

"You may want to try a hair-dryer when removing the tape...removing slowly of course....works in most cases, Less Lifting.."(y)

shortimer52 said:
It's your silver. If you add a silver undercoat and then the paint on top and add tape on that. The tape will pull it off b/c the silver has like a dust to it once it dries. Rub you finger across that silver or look on the back of the paint that came off and youll see what I mean. I used steal wool to dull it out a little and then added the paint. Still had a little problem with it coming off but not near as bad.

Yeah, I had noticed that dust when I first started trying to tape and it wouldn't stick at all. That and my fingers were covered in it anytime I touched the pack. That's when I put a couple clear coats on until it wasn't dusty anymore. But I'm thinking that it might be too slick and not have anything to adquetely stick to now. Perhaps lightly going over it with steel wool would result in a friendlier surface. Hmm.

I'll try the hair dryer tip as well.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back