Sculpting a GM from the ground up

Youve been slackin on this...dont make me come down there and put a boot in ur ***....but seriously looking good. You going to sneak up to SLC CC?

LOL thanks Dom! You do need to come down here one of these days though for sure, maybe balloon fiesta or something...
Sigh I wish I could bro, but I'm pretty limited on time off this year, plus I have relatives coming in from Germany in August so that'll be two weeks spent with them. I think I've already done all the cons I can this year anyway, wish I could do more but we all know how much life gets in the way of our fun hobby ;)

Dude I do need to get down there an visit the Crossfit guys and you...lotta great friends downthere
We'll definitely have to go have some beers :cheers Just give me a heads up ahead of time if you do, I've got a spare bedroom you can crash in.

Thanks again for the kind comments guys, appreciate the encouragement. Keep in mind that the helmet so far at this point is just a very basic shape, it'll be getting fine tuned much more as I go along ;) Stay tuned!

A few more progress pics. Added the neck ring and correctly flared out the skirt (thanks Barry!), makes a HUGE difference in the overall look. That's it for now kiddies....stay tuned

GMhelmetV2_2_zpsec3286d1.gif

GMhelmetV2_3_zpsd23fefe9.gif

Here's some more progress pics for you all, enjoy!
055_zps52442f77.gif

054_zps0d6958f5.gif

053_zps4205fdab.gif

At this point, I had spoken to Barry (banzai88) and he pointed out that the cheeks needed to be corrected. I knew SOMETHING was up with it but couldn't quite put my finger on it.
GMhelmetV2_1_zps563f2c95.gif

Onto the Rondo!
FILE0047_zps36546d75.gif

FILE0045_zps96103c05.gif

FILE0046_zps0e97d0e3.gif

Then sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand....and more sand, sand, sand, sand, sand o_O
FILE0049_zps01b9e117.gif

FILE0051_zpsb8825524.gif

That's it for now kiddies, stay tuned...

I have been following this on Facebook since the beginning and I have to say you are killing it! I have been waiting for the helmet and its looking great! I need a G M I need I need a G M I need a G M

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. On the 5th picture down i was just looking at it and the ref photos. You might need to round over the transition between the crown and back a little more to give it more flow. Also, the vent on the back may be just a touch on the low side. Not much but maybe a 1/4". Other than that nice work.

Will, as always your job is amazing! So... this means a Fett helmet in the future (which will go perfectly with the new armor?)...

Thanks Rafa, as always your comments are much appreciated! Haha no, no new plans for a helmet sorry lol

Looking good. On the 5th picture down i was just looking at it and the ref photos. You might need to round over the transition between the crown and back a little more to give it more flow. Also, the vent on the back may be just a touch on the low side. Not much but maybe a 1/4". Other than that nice work.
Thanks for the input FF. On that 5th picture were you using the ref pic in that photo for reference? If so, I noticed that the paper is partially obscured and possibly(?) curving giving it a wonky look. I still have the negative template from which the positive ones were cut for the 'skeleton' base. I've compared the shape of the crown leading to the back to the skirt and it matches up perfectly.
FILE03772_zps4fbad2b1.gif

As for the vent, I've struggled with where to place that and have gotten input from a few experts on that. Unfortunately it just doesn't line up with the brow perfectly. I know what you're looking at when you say it's too low (I've seen that myself), but if you compare the vent to where it sits on the back of the skirt (comparing it to the reference photos) it's supposed to sit about halfway between the top of the dome and the bottom of the skirt. Mine actually sits a bit higher than that...so I felt it was a happy compromise and decided to go with it ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back