Weathering the cloth parts of the ROTJ Fett question

INDY

Active Hunter
Hi, So after 5 years off and on, I'm getting close finishin my ROTJ Fett. I need to some weathering. The only weathering that I did was mist grey primer over the flak vest. What do guys suggest for the jumpsuit and pouches? I read on here about using chalk? That sounds interesting! Any special kind of chalk? What other methods are there?

IMG_0382.JPG

I gave my Flightsuit a light sandpaper treatment around the edges. Then I sun bleached it for a about a few weeks constantly washing and drying once a day.

I found the only way to simulate weathering is to actually weather it.

I've found that real dirt and grime will wash out, at least the dirt well the grime to some degree also. That way if you arent satisfied with the result you can start over. I used
sandpaper also for the pyshical damage and lots of spray paint misting from different distances.

Good thread going here http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=35206

I mentioned in it that I have used chalk pastels. Little different. You can get chalk pastels at Craft's 2000 or similar craft store with no problem. Here's how I used them (from other thread) . . .

"One thing that worked well on my last jumpsuit was taking various shades of brown and tan chalk pastels and sanding them to make a dust. With a damp cloth, you can pat and smear the dust (now kind of like a mud with the dampness added to it) wherever you like. And if you get it too heavy in one area, with a clean damp cloth, you can sponge it off. Not really permanent, but works well for a mannequin display."

I also plan to sun bleach my new jumpsuit. And if you look at the legs of the flightsuit, they really appear smudged with black. I'm thinking that taking some black rubber soled shoes and dragging them repeatedly onto the fabric along the shin area may do the trick but haven't tried it yet.

I orginally was going to go with just trooping in the costume and let it get weathered naturally. But when I submitted my pics to my Garrison GML, he told me that I had to more weathering to get 501st approval. So that's what I need to do.

Dave,

I used a combination of rattle cans from a good distance to tone down the whole suit -- beige, grey primer, a little bit of black. Then I airbrushed Model Master "Dirt" and "grimy Black" on the heavily weathered areas -- pockets, the pant leg bottoms, etc.

Then I rubbed the bottoms in the brake dust on my Jeep, rolled the whole things around in the dirt for a bit....then decided I needed to hit it with even more! :D

Check the references and don't be afraid to err on the side of caution at first. You can always add a little more. Well, and you can always wash it if you need to take some off. Thankfully, I haven't needed to do that yet....

i did pretty much exactly what madmartigan did, substituting different brands of paint for the airbrush piece.

my flight suit is actually the only airbrushing on my costume.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back