My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet

1. spray the mold with mold realease, then sandable primer, makes the pull easier to sand and comes out primed!
2. Not the same but polyESTER:) resin will mechanically and chemically lock with the shell -shock print coat.
3.yes
4. It all depends on who is laying up the glass:D
lookin good there Russ.
I am kinda new to the materials so apologies if wrong terminology used, just interested in some of the methods -

(1) I liked the idea of sandable primer for the most superficial layer - is that a standard procedure?
(2) Looked up smooth on site - is urethane plastic the same as polurethane? And do u use the slow or fast stuff? Also did u just use 1 layer or several?
(3) FG backup - just the sheets + resin type stuff - similiar to stuff used for car body work I take it?
(4) I have seen some other FG interiors looking quite rough - are u planning on putting roto resin on the inside?

Have fun on clean up! cant wait to see finished product mate.

soz to hear abt the IM mold btw mate :(

Nate

fiber1.jpg

In the pic above you see a thick print coat of shell-shock, backed by a layer of resin only mixed with aerosil( artificial silica), this makes the resin like toothpaste and gets in good in the deep detail, then backed by two layers of fiberglass. All this is done one right after each other to insure a good bond without delamenation.
Russ,
Are you doing a layer at a time? If so how do you avoid delamination?
Thanks,
Lou

wow Russ - ok soz I questioned u abt FG lids on an earlier pm; does indeed look solid

my only previous experience with FG was early on in this hobby when I got some cheap (most probably) recast stuff - which basically looked like some sheets with the resin all over em. Thin and very brittle.
Also coming from TK background, so only used to ABS/plastics and wasnt sure abt FG

Nate

I use torn pieces of FG matt, not sheets of FG cloth, The matt takes to the contours much better than cloth. I over lap them as I go, wetting and tamping them in the mold with chip brushes, working out the airbubbles. It's takes patience while working quickly to get good evenness before the resin starts to cure, and don't use too much resin all at once,just enough to get it throughly wet.
As far as you-tube?:rolleyes I give away alot of info on the forums, you should be able to get a good idea how it's done, but I might when I get time.

I use torn pieces of FG matt, not sheets of FG cloth, The matt takes to the contours much better than cloth. I over lap them as I go, wetting and tamping them in the mold with chip brushes, working out the airbubbles. It's takes patience while working quickly to get good evenness before the resin starts to cure, and don't use too much resin all at once,just enough to get it throughly wet.
As far as you-tube?:rolleyes I give away alot of info on the forums, you should be able to get a good idea how it's done, but I might when I get time.
Russ your a beast & an inspiration to us all!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Im in ft laud Fl and if I lived near enough id be happy just to watch you and learn as much as I could.
Thanks,
Lou

The kit is ready! pics of my first two pulls and assembled. The ears bolt on and are positioned as desired. The ear backs need to be glued on and gaps filled in where the ears meet the helm. The clear lense needs to be glued in after painting. $400 for raw kit plus shipping. Waiting for the light kits to be assembled, and will be available for extra cost TBD. Anyone interested please PM me. Thanks,
Russell

2raw.jpg

kit1.jpg

kit2.jpg

I am planning on the suit, already have the left shoulder armor sculpted and ready to mold. I'll concentrate on the armor pieces first, then move on the the chest piece and accesories. May even make his cyborg muscles out of urethane rubber skin. But much money and time will have to be spent. I'll keep you posted.
I think doing the entire suit would be very cool, but also super expensive. But quite a challenge non the less.

I am planning on the suit, already have the left shoulder armor sculpted and ready to mold. I'll concentrate on the armor pieces first, then move on the the chest piece and accesories. May even make his cyborg muscles out of urethane rubber skin. But much money and time will have to be spent. I'll keep you posted.

A neck seal to accompany the helmet? :D

wow, thanks for posting this here russ.
i lurk on the rpf and i was upset that i had to be a member in order for me to view the images of your helmet.
really happy to be able to finally see it.
great work!!!!!!!!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back