Obi-Dan's Indy sketch cards

Obi Dan

New Hunter
Hey folks! Sorry I haven't posted here in forever, but I've been visor-deep in work.

Any Indy fans around these parts? I thought I'd post this, just one of the reasons my art commissions have been taking so darn long.

I was recently asked to do some sketch cards for Topps' Indiana Jones Masterpieces set. They're standard trading card size sketches and paintings that will each be inserted into a box of the trading cards. I agreed to do 100 cards, plus six additional return cards in full color oils, which will be up for sale by me once the set is released, and 10 panoramic (double-wide) cards. The set is due out on the shelves some time in November. :coolsmiley:

Here's a sample of the approved cards that I've already done.

sketchcardpost.jpg

Nice work!! Bravo!! (y)

Just a couple questions though. What kind of time limit do you have on drawing a series of 100 cards? And how many do you end up drawing to have a complete set of approved pieces? And how do you get your work seen to get into doing them?

I'm an artist as well. And I would like to see if I could get my own work seen and possibly give it a shot. My only problem would be shrinking my work down! I'm used to drawing BIG! And since I draw big, I like to do a lot of detail. I wouldn't know when to stop! LOL!

Hey your stuff is freaking awsome.. have you thought about going digital with your work and taking up digital concept painting? i think you would be really good...

Great work Dan! I've been looking at your stuff on Scoundrel Art Forums for a while now. I've got several sketch cards, but not one of yours yet. Looking forward to this set (as long as there aren't 1,654,921 Waterhouse cards inserted:facepalm) Good luck and I'll let you know if I get one of your cards in my case break.

Thanks, everybody!

Sorry I've been away for so long, but I've been so busy with everything I don't get around here too often. I'll try to answer a couple of questions here before I pass out (had a dress rehearsal tonight for a 501st gig, and have to be up in time to get to the actual show tomorrow.)

Great work Dan! I've been looking at your stuff on Scoundrel Art Forums for a while now. I've got several sketch cards, but not one of yours yet. Looking forward to this set (as long as there aren't 1,654,921 Waterhouse cards inserted:facepalm) Good luck and I'll let you know if I get one of your cards in my case break.

Thanks! It's great to know people are enjoying my stuff. There are some fairly big names working on this set, and I'm honored to be on it with them.

Nice work!! Bravo!! (y)

Just a couple questions though. What kind of time limit do you have on drawing a series of 100 cards? And how many do you end up drawing to have a complete set of approved pieces? And how do you get your work seen to get into doing them?

I'm an artist as well. And I would like to see if I could get my own work seen and possibly give it a shot. My only problem would be shrinking my work down! I'm used to drawing BIG! And since I draw big, I like to do a lot of detail. I wouldn't know when to stop! LOL!

I got my cards from Topps about a month ago, and the original deadline to have my minimum 100 finished was October 24. But the release date for the set has been pushed back, which gives me until the 10th of next month to get them back to Topps. Normally, I believe most artists would have quite a bit more time to do the job, but it took a few weeks for my cards to finally arrive after I'd been approved to be on the set.

I agreed to do the minumum of 100 cards, plus my six return cards. They also sent 10 of the double-size folding panoramic cards. I'm planning to do all 116 cards, just because I don't want to send any back blank.

I had sent in some samples of my artwork to the editors of Topps, Rittenhouse, and I think Upper Deck several months ago, but didn't hear back from Topps until early last month when their editor sent me an email invite to work on the Indy set. So I emailed him back a few days later, thinking that I had gotten the invite by mistake or something. Turned out he had apparently already approved me to be on the set, I just had to express interest in doing it.

Aside from that, you can go to the scoundrel forums and just start posting your artwork there. If you don't know about scoundrel, just go to sketchcards.com and click on "forums" at the top.

I was pretty used to doing bigger artwork, too. So I know what you mean about knowing when to stop with the fine details. But it didn't take long to get the hang of the sketch cards. I have to keep reminding myself that their just sketches, not Rembrandts. I can save the fine details for my return cards! :lol:

I can pm you some email addys for some editors if you like. I know they don't like people distributing their contact info willy-nilly, because they tend to get bombarded with submissions. But I wouldn't have been able to contact them at all if it wasn't for somebody helping me out. ;)

Good luck! :cheers

Danny is deep in commissions and the new Galaxy SW set.

Just wanted to post his returns that he set aside from the ones he shipped to Topps. They are all done in oils. I am actually very proud of him, that he finished these, and they came out as good as they did. He got these done right below the deadline. Think he pulled 2 all nighters :wacko

Bergren-Return-IJM-Graphic-.jpg

Here is a progression image of his Henry Jones Sr card
Henry-Jones-Sr101.gif

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back