300 Spartan Helmet WIP: Almost done!

Tim, it's really coming along nicely and looks even better than it did when we saw it in person a couple weeks ago! Well done.

YES!! it went through some MAJOR re-constructive surgery after I got to hold the SE helmet. Amazing how camera angles can play tricks on your eyes, especially after you've been staring at them for hours on end lol....

Well got a chance to pull one from the mold today. I didnt have any of the right resin with me and I was itchy to pull one and do a test fit so I bought some cheap auto-boat resin and fiberglass at the store today and made a quick one. Its pulled alright but the back lip had bubbles in it and my fiberglassing technique needs some work to say the least lol.

Fiberglass004.gif

Initially the helmet didnt fit me because I made the resin waaayyy to thick. So with some sanding with the dremel in the brow and jaw bone, it fits snug now and isnt to loose. I have some more room to sand it down further if need be and im sure when these are ready for production you all will need to do some sanding in areas to get them on your noggins but it fits.

That looks awsume what did you use to make it up with it looks like clay if so is it air dry , oil based or water based im interestde because i just got a heap of clay and am wondering what it is like to cast over.

That looks awsume what did you use to make it up with it looks like clay if so is it air dry , oil based or water based im interestde because i just got a heap of clay and am wondering what it is like to cast over.

All of the sculpt was done in oil based clay, then molded with silicone rubber. The clay can can be re-used and re-used and it never drys out. So you dont have to worry about your sculpture drying out on you or shrinking/cracking.

Special thanks to Jose for "wising me up" on the correct material to use on this. Got a chance, thanks to him, to pull one from the mold yesterday and had the chance to clean it up real quick and to a test paint job on it w/out any weathering today.

Helmet001.gif

Helmet006.gif

Helmet004.gif

Helmet003.gif

Dont mind the bad paint job, I spent all of 20 mins on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding job!!! I absolutely love it! Really like the final texturing you added. That really nailed it. Congrats dude!

Got a chance to do some more sanding and weathering on the helmet today

enjoy

Helmet003-1.gif

Helmet002.gif

Helmet004-1.gif

With the sanding of the inside the helmet, it fits me very loose on my head now and pops on and of with no problem or twisting to get it off/on

Helmet005-1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For all those of you interested

Ordered all the fiberglass/resin materials today and should be starting a run of these helmets very very soon

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back