How to make armor with Sintra, Rub & Buff, and weathering

SEEKER

Well-Known Hunter
Here's a 9 minute video I made on the subject. Hope it helps some folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good.
But one question, if you have a "master mold" made from acrylic why would you need pieces made from sintra?

Looks good.
But one question, if you have a "master mold" made from acrylic why would you need pieces made from sintra?

Sintra is the actual pieces you wear on your costume. As seen on the video, the acrylic pieces is extremely thick and heavy. There's no way anyone could wear that.

Your Sintra pieces should be 1/8 thick. That's pretty close to the actual costume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any tutorials on how to make the molds themselves?

I've often thought about making my own armour, but I wouldn't have a clue how to get the contours correct...

Seeker, great tutorial!(y)

I'm actually in the process of making my own armor and will definitely use a few of your techniques. However I'm in the same boat as Darth Paul when it comes to making the molds.

Is there anyway I can form my Sintra cut-outs without using the "master molds"? Any suggestions on how I can get the bends and contours correct without a mold would be appreciated?

Thanks.

Well there wont be any way you could get the results I got unless you have the solid shapes.

I have notice people just take the sintra and bend it here and there, but it just doesnt look like the real stuff.

Me personally I've strived to get my armor to look as real as possible, that is why I started to make my own stuff. I never realized I had the eye for sculpting. You just have to want it and go for it.

try to sculp, you'll never you what type of skills you have until you try

Great job seeker!:cheers

Any tips on making a master mold?
You said that your first master was made with bondo. I had the same idea a while back, but it back fired on me. I work with sintra a lot on my mando costumes. My boba is in its 5th form and 3 of them were sintra based. Anyways, my idea was cut the basic shape of the armor piece in sintra and layer bondo on it until I had the right height. Then sand it down into the right shape and curves. My only problem was the sintra warped upward when the bondo hardened.

I was going to get a mounted jigsaw and a power sander with my tax return and make masters out of wood, but the check they sent me was less then half what I was suppose to get...so thats a bust...

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back