ESB paint scheme question

Delta9

Hunter
Im looking for your methods of painting the red part of the boba fett helmet from ESB. Im not having trouble with the red or the aluminum scratches, but that transparent Blue/grey is not turning out for me. Do you guys paint the silver layer, then the red, then mask it again and do the Blue/Grey? thats wht it looks like but I cant find a post that deals specifically with this part of the helmet. thx

Thats kinda a tricky area. I did this part of the bucket last. Lots of guys do the topical approach and have had great success. I chose to use the layered/masking technique. I started by painting the helmet silver. Then figure out which areas you want silver to show through. draw these on with soft pencil, then use liquid mask to cover all these areas, (I used stuff called incredible white mask, available at hobby lobby) then paint the entire area with your gray. Once that is dry, you can remove your liquid mask and hopefully everything you masked is silver, and everything else is grey. Now remask all your silver, and draw on where you want your grey to show through. Mask the grey areas, then spray your red color. After dry, you should be able to remove the mask, and all the silver and gray ares should show through, and you'll have a nice layered effect. Of course if you are planning to go topical, then everything I just said is irrelevant;) Hope that gives you an idea:)

Helmet (Empire version)
* Panzer Olive Green (Cheeks and dome)
* Boxcar Red (mandibles)
* UP Armor Yellow (Verticle stripes)
* MILW Road Orange (Verticle stripes)
* SP Lark Dark Gray 'unsure' (Gray around scratches)
* Rust (various locations)
* Chrome (scratches) I think this was actually a color called bright silver but this works best.
* Euro Dark green 'Unsure' back of helmet.
* Earth(Rangefinder ear)
* RLM Green (Left ear) 'unsure'
* PRR Green (Inside cheeks) this is practically black.
* Rock Island Maroon (Red scratches on left ear).
* Light Gray (on left ear) any light gray will do.
* PRR Maroon for the dark color on mands may need to darken this color with a touch of black I am unsure of the correct color for this at this time but this works.

here is the list from rouge studios.

I am curious if I should paint the whole helmet chrome as a base and then go with the colors from there and mask it off and paint it.

HTH.

I am going with the chrome myself as a base. I know it is really bright but it tones down well and I think looks more metallic when done so. More so then the silver.

Lord Fett actually did a rundown of the product numbers from the Testors site to help you find the colors as well.

Helmet (Empire version)
* Panzer Olive Green (Cheeks and dome) F505113
* Boxcar Red (mandibles) F414281
* UP Armor Yellow (Verticle stripes) F414170
* MILW Road Orange (Verticle stripes) F414152
* SP Lark Dark Gray 'unsure' (Gray around scratches) F414182
* Rust (various locations) F414323
* Chrome (scratches) I think this was actually a color called bright silver but this works best.
* Euro Dark green 'Unsure' back of helmet. 4729 (Model Master)
* Panzer dark yellow (Rangefinder ear) if you do not have aluminum ears you will need to mix a silver with this to tone it down. F505111
* RLM Green (Left ear) 'unsure' F505056
* PRR Green (Inside cheeks) this is practically black. F414164
* Rock Island Maroon (Red scratches on left ear). F414248
* Light Gray (on left ear) any light gray will do. F505061

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back