General Need some ESB paint help!!

BobasDent1138

Active Hunter
Hello everyone!
I'm going to be ordering some RKD armor soon and need some help. The first armor paint up I did I used US Medium Green and Yellow Zinc Chromate by Model Masters. IMO it was too dark but those were on a valid color list so I tried it out. Then I took a look at Raf's templates and they were fantastic. So my dilemma: I need a paint list for ESB armor. If I can get a spray paint list that's very accurate, that'd be AMAZING. If not, I'll tough it out with the airbrush again. Bottom line, if I can get a screen accurate paint list via this thread I've accomplished my goal! :D I really want to do this right this time, so any help, especially from more experienced members, is appreciated!

Thanks to all!

-Gav

I can't seem to find a definitive single color for the green. I used Model Masters Euro Dark Green enamel, but it's still too dark. I used Humbrol Insignia Yellow over a base coat of Tremclad silver spray. Then I masked and airbrushed the green. It took a couple bottles.
Euro Dark Green is the right color tone IMHO, but it's too dark. I have no idea what ratio or color to add to lighten it.

I can't seem to find a definitive single color for the green. I used Model Masters Euro Dark Green enamel, but it's still too dark. I used Humbrol Insignia Yellow over a base coat of Tremclad silver spray. Then I masked and airbrushed the green. It took a couple bottles.
Euro Dark Green is the right color tone IMHO, but it's too dark. I have no idea what ratio or color to add to lighten it.

Hey Necro, thanks for your input. Never heard of Euro, I'll have to look next time I'm at my hobby shop. The darkness is really what's bothering me, because his ESB armor isn't as dark as the US Med Green. Hopefully there's a definite solution out there for everyone thinking the same thing! :D

I'd take a stab at matching Rustoleum spruce green in airbrush color, and just lightly mist the medium green over that color. Think that might get you closer to the tint you're looking for.....
try it out on some test material to get the ratio down.

I'd take a stab at matching Rustoleum spruce green in airbrush color, and just lightly mist the medium green over that color. Think that might get you closer to the tint you're looking for.....
try it out on some test material to get the ratio down.

That sounds pretty good! I may be able to get to the hobby shop by me today as well as Lowe's so I'll try to pick both colors up and I'll test it out on a piece of primed foamboard or something. I'll post the pics when everything is dried.

Awesome! I've only tried it with rattlecan, and the formula is Rusto spruce green, misted lightly with Rusto Hunt Club Green, the misted very sparingly with flat black. The ESB armor is darker the ROTJ, but it's easy to get too dark. ( and the safety striping yellow for rattlecan on damage). I have yet to upgrade to the airbrush but am shopping around.

Awesome! I've only tried it with rattlecan, and the formula is Rusto spruce green, misted lightly with Rusto Hunt Club Green, the misted very sparingly with flat black. The ESB armor is darker the ROTJ, but it's easy to get too dark. ( and the safety striping yellow for rattlecan on damage). I have yet to upgrade to the airbrush but am shopping around.

I'll buy the model paints AND spray paint, see what works a little better and post results. My airbrush was roughly $20 on Amazon. Works well. Thanks for your help brother! I'll get the test pics up as soon as they're done

I recently went with the Rustoleum Spruce Green misted with the Hunt Club Green and I'm happy with the results. From the research I've done here, it seemed to be the way to go for rattlecan.

I recently went with the Rustoleum Spruce Green misted with the Hunt Club Green and I'm happy with the results. From the research I've done here, it seemed to be the way to go for rattlecan.
Honestly, I'll probably end up doing that as well. The model paints are really pricey. One Model Masters paint where I go is $4, when I could get a whole Rusto bottle for $4.50. I'll still test out the two model colors just as an experiment, but I think spray paint is much more cost effective

Spruce isn't the right color at all for the armor. Not even for the base coat. Us med isn't the sole color on the armor. There's multiple colors and tinting going on. It's not a flat green there's striping misting etc. Not something that can easily be done with rattle cans with normal caps.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Spruce isn't the right color at all for the armor. Not even for the base coat. Us med isn't the sole color on the armor. There's multiple colors and tinting going on. It's not a flat green there's striping misting etc. Not something that can easily be done with rattle cans with normal caps.

Sent from my SCH-I545

I disagree completely. Spruce doesn't look right straight out of the can, but nothing does. You've got to play around with it.

aa_zps30660a12.jpg

Agree with Matt. BUT as F4R said, it is definitely not a solid coating look. It's misting, shading, weathering with pastels, and some real finish scratches that really bring it home.
But as far as my eyes see it, the spruce takes on a whole new look if worked over properly with the HCG and weathering techniques.

Spruce is closer to the dome and gaunt color not really the same but closer and the armor isn't the same at all as those parts.

Sent from my SCH-I545

I think the lighting might be changing the look in that pic. I painted some that I was trying for ROTJ with, and it really came out looking ESB as I went too heavy on the HCG(hunt club green)and had to repaint it. The gaunts are much more spruce, and it takes a little trial and error to work out not looking too spruce or too dark. Just my two cents though,

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up some at c5. Colors are a lot different then what you're seeing on you pc. If your pc shows light correctly. And then you have to factor in your eye Also.

Sent from my SCH-I545

I dunno...its VERY hard to say. Look at these pics for example. Thease were all done with spruce green base with layers of weathering.....depending on the light, the color can look very different

1486799_10200278153475811_1787995126_n_zpsb85f76cb.jpg

100_5026_zpsc8957a78.jpg

100_5025_zps0222be9b.jpg
BH-6908BHGCARD_zps29287629.jpg

However i based my suit off of the propmo shots, which those in themselves may be a little more washed out then in person.
8_zps90fbe077.jpg

There is also this shot where it looks much greener...
1454625_423215557801920_498738909_n_zps33ecec57.jpg

So looking at my armor i posted abopve..it matches pretty close to the promo pic..and the one shot where my armor looks greener..its fairly close to the on set shot where it looks greener.

That said, it is very hard to match colors from photos that are over 30yrs old...plus our computer monitors, and our own eyes...its just something that will be very hard without actually having the real suit in front of you, which unfortunately wont happen as it was likely the same armor used in ROTJ, but repainted.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right DV. Looks very different in different lighting. But I think it gives way to the fact that you can get very close with the spruce green as a base. Perfect? Maybe, maybe not. But looks outstanding anyway.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back