Jetpack kepps choking me and i need help from you guys.

ZeroGinc

Active Hunter
Need help on anyone who's had a completed fett and has trooped in it with a MOW JP or just as heavy JP. i have a harness and everything and i just seem to get chocked at every troop i get sometimes leaving welts after the 4-5hr troops i go to. i love some pointers or pictures to help me on this.
Thanks everyone.

Some pull is expected with this suit, but not to that extent! What kind of harness do you have? If its a cloth fabric one, what i did when i had that type of harness was a sewed "belt loops" onto my jumpsuit to keep it from sliding up. That helped quite a bit. the other thing i can suggest is getting one of the metal harness' as they really support the pack better and have much less pull.

These are just what i did, im sure someone else will chime in as well with ideas for you :)

Your backplate and neck armour should be bolted together, but it should be free-floating between your harness frame and the jetpack (aside from the upper jetpack straps through the backplate). That way, you can manoeuvre the backplate/neck armour around a bit to get a comfortable fit and the right look.

Perhaps you need to set your neck armour a little further forward where it attaches to the backplate?

A sternum strap across from each shoulder strap may help and I concur with DVH or extending some loops (from the harness) to accommodate a waist belt that would inhibit the pullback effect of the jetpack

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this explanation will help. For clarification, my armor is FettPride V3 connected to a BatNinja vest with the stud and grommet method. I use a BooBoo Fett aluminum harness.
My back plate has two bolts permanently affixed on either side of the "shoulder" portion that poke up from underneath where the shoulder studs will eventually be. My collar armor is connected to the vest with two studs through grommets located underneath of the two forward most angled portions of the collar. The rear of the collar is completely free floating from the vest and has two holes on each side of the rearmost portion that line up with the bolts on the backplate "shoulders."
After donning the vest with the attached collar armor, I have my assistant/helper slide the backplate on. The two "shoulders" of the backplate fit underneath of the collar and line up through the holes at the rear of the collar. My assistant helper then screws on the four shoulder studs to affix the backplate to the collar armor. So the layers from bottom to top in the shoulder area are: flightsuit, jetpack harness, vest, backplate, collar, and studs.
This arrangement means that the backplate is only connected to the costume via the collar at the four bolts underneath of the shoulder studs and the rest of the backplate hangs free. If the position of the bolts on the backplate shoulders is too far back, you can end up choking a bit even before the weight of the jetpack is added.
I hope my explanation is clear of the causes. I will offer solutions that worked for me next.

The first way to alleviate choking is to place the shoulder bolts on the backplate a bit farther forward than you might think. I actually drilled two sets of holes with the final ones being an inch forward of my first attempt. I also reinforced the underside of the shoulder area of both my backplate and collar with thin sheet aluminum. The FettPride backplate, when a raw pull, allows for quite a bit of adjustment. Never fear, you can make a mistake on the bolt placement on the backplate shoulders, because the collar will cover it.

The second way to alleviate choking is proper jetpack harness adjustment. I highly recommend an aluminum harness if you will be wearing the costume for long periods. The harness' bottom cross bar not only locks in the bottom portion of the otherwise free hanging bottom of the backplate, but most importantly it bears the majority of the jetpack's weight.

The jetpack harness' two upper cloth straps are there primarily to keep the jetpack from falling/flopping away from the backplate. That bears repeating, the bottom aluminum crossbar should be the main thing holding up the jetpack, not the top straps. If too much weight is on the top straps, then they will pull the backplate down and back, which will then pull your collar up and back in to your throat. No bueno.

Spend the time beforehand to adjust and your harness and jetpack combination to your liking without the vest and back armor. Attempting to adjust it from underneath of everything will never get it right. Then you will be good when you don everything together. I do agree that the addition of a sternum strap to the harness is helpful. Just ensure you install it low enough in the front to not induce yet another choking mechanism. I hope these explanations are helpful. Good luck and let us know which solutions worked for you.

Maybe this explanation will help. For clarification, my armor is FettPride V3 connected to a BatNinja vest with the stud and grommet method. I use a BooBoo Fett aluminum harness.
My back plate has two bolts permanently affixed on either side of the "shoulder" portion that poke up from underneath where the shoulder studs will eventually be. My collar armor is connected to the vest with two studs through grommets located underneath of the two forward most angled portions of the collar. The rear of the collar is completely free floating from the vest and has two holes on each side of the rearmost portion that line up with the bolts on the backplate "shoulders."
After donning the vest with the attached collar armor, I have my assistant/helper slide the backplate on. The two "shoulders" of the backplate fit underneath of the collar and line up through the holes at the rear of the collar. My assistant helper then screws on the four shoulder studs to affix the backplate to the collar armor. So the layers from bottom to top in the shoulder area are: flightsuit, jetpack harness, vest, backplate, collar, and studs.
This arrangement means that the backplate is only connected to the costume via the collar at the four bolts underneath of the shoulder studs and the rest of the backplate hangs free. If the position of the bolts on the backplate shoulders is too far back, you can end up choking a bit even before the weight of the jetpack is added.
I hope my explanation is clear of the causes. I will offer solutions that worked for me next.

This is exactly how mine is. :) (BTW, booboo's harness (and Mojo's) is stainless steel, only Kcpr7pr's in Aluminum)

Agree completley with Bothan on this. That explanation is perfect...couldnt have said it better myself :)

I have a MOW JP harness. I plan on attaching the jetpack as normal (straps and hooks), but then add some brackets at the bottom to attach a black nylon belt to go from the JP around my waist.

I was also thinking of using velcro to attach the backplate to the vest (for added security) and the jetpack to the backplate (again, for added security). Is this a bad idea?

Just thinking of another way to take the weight off and limit choking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have the nylon belt attached to the bottom of my pack. It helps keep it sturdy but doesnt help with the pull at the neck at all. I would put velcro on the chest of the jumpsuit and on the inside on the front of the mow vest to hold it from sliding up. That alone should help any pulling on collar. I dont recommend attaching the backplate to anything except the collar..keeping it free floating really helps avoid the choking.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back