Empire or Jedi Paint? Poll!

5326Commcando

Jr Hunter
I want to post a poll based upon who have done one, the other, or both!

Personally, it seems as though the Empire helmet was much less hastily done, and has far as less deliberate painting processes that the Jedi helmet. As far as difficulty (I actually see the Jedi Helmet being far more difficult due to the randomness of the details throughout). Both processes seem to be much different, and results different as well.

What are your thoughts for someone tackling a helmet for the first time, and which one to knock out first!?

? or

My opinion... I think ESB has a very strait forward layering process and the color pallette is the easier of the two.

However, I believe those who do well with an ROTJ paint job looks really really sweet.

I've painted both versions, and in my opinion the ESB is more Artistically painted while the RotJ is more Realistically painted. Oh, and ESB is my favorite.

I'll agree with those opinions. With the ESB it's almost like it's an idealized image of what
battle damage "should" look like, versus the ROTJ, which features what battle damage
would actually look like.
I've never painted a ROTJ helmet, while I've done many ESBs. But I've studied reference
pics of all the versions, Pre-Pros included, and I think ROTJ is much more complex than
it appears at first glance.

As far as which one someone should try first? Depends on which one you like! :) I'm a
huge fan of the ESB helmet, and it can be used with an ESB costume, or a ROTJ Special
Edition costume, so maybe it's more versatile.

I've painted both versions, and in my opinion the ESB is more Artistically painted while the RotJ is more Realistically painted - AFettFullOfDollars

I'll agree with those opinions. With the ESB it's almost like it's an idealized image of what
battle damage "should" look like, versus the ROTJ, which features what battle damage
would actually look like - Superjedi

These two statements are right on the money. Having spent considerable time painting both helmets, I was always a bigger fan of ESB as far as looks, and it appeared to have more intricate detail. This was until I actually sat down and studied the ROTJ helmet, and realised to do it correctly, the amounts of fine detail were monstrous. So it gave me a huge appreciation that I otherwise may never have realised for the ROTJ lid.

Basically in excecution, to do them correctly, ESB is a bigger layering process, and is time consuming, but if you can take time on stencilling and layers, is more a paint by numbers. ROTJ in my mind provided more of a challenge artistically, because there are the intricatte and fine details mentioned, after a lot of the main damage has been laid down. Then there are all the differrent techniques and effects added, that have to be dissected and broken down before you even tackle them..

So which one do I like better? Such a tough call. 2 years ago, I would have said ESB no question. But the ROTJ is probably the paintup that I am the proudest of, as I feel it stretched my abilities as an artist a little more. So maybe - and only maybe - I favour ROTJ by a hair. But it's kinda like choosing between your children - pretty well impossible to do. Peace :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back