J.A. Michell Knee Dart Launcher Pics

Syper

Active Hunter
was asked to share some more reference pics of my Michell part. If this information saves even one life then its worth it!

Let me start off by saying i love DarkSide's work and this is in no way dig at his accuracy. the side by side comparason is just to show actual size, if you have and love his parts like i do then you will appreicate his work even more.
IMG_3477.JPGIMG_3484.JPGIMG_3476.JPG

Ok i took some pics with the caliper in mm.
IMG_3464.JPGIMG_3466.JPGIMG_3467.JPGIMG_3468.JPGIMG_3473.JPGIMG_3474.JPGIMG_3480.JPG

I find this interesting

I may be out of the loop, being so old school about these pieces but the first thing I see is that you and I have variant michell pieces lol

Is this a known thing already? lol

What I see so far (my first glance observation) is that the distance from the hole on the side of your pieces to the beginning of the taper, is half that of my own. And, the distance between the start of the taper to the tip appears longer than mine.

Maybe I'm just putting too much into it, but is it possible that the difference between the two could explain the 'variant'?

Thanks for posting those !

Maybe I'm just putting too much into it, but is it possible that the difference between the two could explain the 'variant'?

Those are my thoughts.
When Syper posted a picture of these in his PP2 build thread I thought the cone looked longer like the original "variant" toe spikes And I can see what you mean about the hole being in a different place.

Definitely different from what I am used to seeing. Measuring the replica "variant versions" Gav and I designed, the length of our cone and Syper's original are pretty similar and we were trying to match the original toe spikes.

Chris can you take some measurements off yours so we can see how different they might be?

I think the common part we are used to seeing is what was used on the original suits' knees.
Look like this variant type Syper has is very close to what they used for the toe spikes. The only thing I can see is the hole at the end is smaller on the original toe spikes.

Very cool!

Most certainly. I am not in a place to take pics at the moment, but the basics are this real quick :

The part I have is 1mm shorter in total length. That extra length on Sypers is all in the cone. A solid 1mm additional from the start of the taper to the tip.

The diameters between the two are identical ...

The tip diameter on my own is 4mm. As opposed to Syper's 3.66.

Now, this of course would all be if the calipers that Syper and I used were identically calibrated. The chances are highly likely that there could be a .005 tolerance between them.

But it does show that Sypers are more tapered and come to more of a point to some degree. The only way to be 100% accurate would be to have the two different darts measured with the same caliper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting again valuable images of found parts (you already did this with the MQ-1 calculator and the EverReady Minilight). I compared your measurements to my knee dart and boot spike templates and they look pretty close. But I agree about at least 2 or 3 variants of the found part (just to mention 2 variants of the boot spikes or the knee darts) that are differentiated by a few mm in the length or the outer/inner diameters.

Here are my measurements in one image:
Mitchell Parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to being off a mm here and there, I will admit I don’t have the highest quality caliper (HarborFright). is it possible the fluctuation is due to a cheap caliper? I notice when I squeeze the calipers I can take off a mm or two, that can’t be good.

Thanks for posting again valuable images of found parts (you already did this with the MQ-1 calculator and the EverReady Minilight)

Thanks RafalFett, Yeah my collection is open to all, if anyone wants detailed pics of any found parts i have just send me a PM and I'll post them. I know It's a pie in the sky dream but I'm still looking for a real Glenross Dental Expander to add to my PP2.
Yeah dream on Syper!!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back