Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of.

Osmethae

New Hunter
Posting this here for a little show off, but mostly if anyone else wants to make something similar and not sure how to go about it.

I first woke up at 7am for no reason and drew on the mythosaur pattern. A lot of people keep thinking I used a CnC router but I really can't afford such a thing, all I used was a jig saw. It took some time with all the backing up and going over lines again but it was worth it. When I finished cutting into the 3/4" plywood board that is 54 1/2" x 18" the sun was at a cool angle for this picture to happen.
oHciY0i.jpg

After finishing staining it black.
qF9VDLd.jpg

Here is the supports being prepared to be screwed together. The legs are 4x4's cut at 16 1/2". At first for the sides I was going to use 2x4's, but the 2 fluorescent lights I bought were too big, so I moved on to 2x6's. The side 2x6's were cut at 47 1/2" and the end pieces cut at 21".
H6mtu0b.jpg

All assembled using pocket hole screws... which I had no idea was a thing until this project.
UhVG1mi.jpg

For the bottom color part, I used a .125" translucent amber acrylic sheet. I ordered a 24x24 piece without measuring my mythosaur because I'm a derp, but it ended up working out BAAAAAARELY. Ignore my awkward mannequin that I'm also working on so I can pose it for my Boba armor.
TiKYOqC.jpg

Then underneath that I have a .30" clear acrylic 24x24 piece that I added some frosted vinyl to to give a more diffused look when the lights underneath are on.
KkT7iat.jpg

Here's what it looked like so far with the plastic pieces drilled on to the back.
nvTmoUR.jpg

I used 2 18" fluorescent lights placed right where the mythosaur is.
oMkpun7.jpg

The first time plugging it in, I oooooooooooooooooooo'ed like crazy and wanted to hug it.
uIOW27w.jpg

I measured and cut this thin flexible board for the bottom.. I can't remember what the material is called sorry, and added reflective tape where the symbol is so the light would shine upwards more.
SAneguf.jpg

And the (almost) finished product! Right now I have a temporary piece of glass sitting over the symbol it protect it until I get a custom sized glass top made. Other than that I just need to stain the bottom board, and work out an extension cord to go under the carpet so no one trips.
alI4jsG.jpg

Dude, that is sweet. I can't believe you did that with a jig saw. If I tried that it would have been a total disaster, and that's not counting the lost fingers from the saw that most likely would have happened too.

I absolutely love this! I have to say, browsing through these threads is incredibly inspiring and if I'm not careful my whole house is going to have a Mandalorian theme! lol

Great table! You should be proud! My office/star wars room has absolutely NO room or need for a coffee table but that might not stop me from stealing your design ideas!! Well done sir.

Alright guys, here's my new fancy shot of the table. Which took some time because I haven't operated a camera in a long long time.
Q1wHqM7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you know Os that this will spark many replicas, I may even give it a try once I get a good jig saw.

I hope you know Os that this will spark many replicas, I may even give it a try once I get a good jig saw.

I'm completely ok with that! I look forward to seeing what other people come up with. I am on a big woodworking kick right now and unfortunately my brain isn't working right.. is there any sort of thing anyone else wants to see made? Throw ideas at me and I'll see what I can do.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back