GMH News and Updates

fettpride

Well-Known Hunter
Hi everyone,

I've been really scarce because I've been really busy with my nose to the grind stone. I want to take a quick minute to give a heads up on a couple of new things coming soon.

After the rough road of the original GMH project and other projects running head to head with it (resulting in a pretty big black eye for me) there have been some misconceptions and invalid rumors floating around about its status. So first and foremost I want to make sure folks know the status of this from the 'source'.

These are under control and are even about to be clean slated. There are 5 or 6 left to fulfill for folks, including a few of you that had them on order with armor, ect.. But more importantly, there's about to be a change in the way these are handled . Arguably what should have been done from the start. As explained previously, my own short sightedness is only to blame. Two years ago I still had the small quaint forum mentality and didn't foresee the demand that would rage on over these. I'm not real sure anyone could have seen to what end exactly.

From now on, as has been suggested over and over, I'll be adopting the small batch mentality on these. For the sake of the greater good, and my own sanity, they'll be offered in small batches in fairly regular intervals. And only 'ready to ship'. Over the course of the last several months (likely about 9) I'd already slowed/stopped taking orders several times to make sure the monster didn't get out of control again. And it never will again . So I'm sure this will be welcome news. Though, in light of some of the jagged comments and 'WTB' threads started as of late about it being a virtual joke to obtain one of these, or waiting lists of two years (which isn't true) it must be considered that even by implementing a controlled way of sharing these, the 'perception' of how 'obtainable' these are may not change. The simple fact is, I am just one guy. With every jagged comment that's posted, it's painfully apparent that ppl seem to forget that this isn't a case of a hundred of these things just laying around at all times just waiting for someone to click 'buy-it-now'. I'm not an over seas manufacturer with 50 molds being filled every hour by 10 employees. And it never has been. This will still be one guy, providing the service. So in the future, please keep this in mind before making comments like that. Not only is it demotivating and rather hurtful to me, but also shows a little bit of ignorance on the poster's part about how these things work. Getting annoyed at me for not being able to keep up with demand is more than a little short sighted. If a manufacturer took these over, there would still be folks pissed off at 'them'. That's just reality ;)

Second up. The GMH 'helmet' mold failed this weekend and is being remade as we speak. I got Art's last two out of it (that I've owed him forever and was gracious enough to wait until the membership was taken care of) right before the last casting pulled every last detail out of the mold. This sounds really bad. But it isn't. It's a 3-4 day delay and isn't the end of the world but I felt it should be known while I'm at it. The ear cap molds were remade at the end of Dec. after having failed for the fourth time lol So just a heads up there. This is just the cost of production.

Lastly, a word about fiberglass GMH's being said over and over to be more 'rare' than the Rotocast versions. This is simply not true. There was more than a 50/50 split in favor of fiberglass. However, I'm really growing weary of hearing things like this. People don't seem to appreciate them, so for the foreseeable future, Rotocast is officially discontinued. The public has spoken. Let the record reflect, that Rotocast has become the more rare of the two lol

That's about it for now. So please keep an eye out for the new and improved way of handling things. Hopefully it will show the community that I do in fact 'listen' to folks. There will also be another interesting post about a couple of other molds that failed, prompting a significant update for you ESB guys out there.

Thanks for reading, and Happy Belated New Year to everyone :) A sincere thank you as well for all your patience over the last year.

Best,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds great Chris. I have the same type of plan. I am also guilty of doing too many things at once and am actually downsizing what im doing. Just going to focus on a couple of "bigger"things rather than 8 million small ones lol

I like the idea of a clean version GMH, and definitely prefer the Fiberglass over the resin. Glad you decided to continue with fiberglass versions. I just shot ya a text..im interested in one..just not sure if i want the regular one with the damage or the clean one. decisions decisions lol

I'm loving the idea of a clean version since all other versions already require filling the scratches and making new ones, as well as more fiberglass. If not for durability's sake then for accuracy. I remember you saying the rotocast is just as durable, and I trust you on that point. But we know the original is fiberglass so that will always be the more accurate option. As long as you're not risking your health more than what is expected from working with toxic chemicals already is.

I'm not sure if I'm agreeing on upscaling it however. But I have a small head and am biased! However, again from an accuracy point of view that's a no-go. I guess you could make a second mould that is upscaled for those that want/need it. Maybe that will help you cast more helmets simultaneously as well. But I'm no expert on casting so I don't know how much hand-holding is required during the curing process.

Locitus :

Actually, you're dead on about a second mold. I'd been working with two for quite a while. One for glass, and one for Roto. It does help speed production. The issue with the recent failed molds is largely due to the urethane plastic for rotocasting. Urethane plastic eats platinum urethane rubber FAST ... So the Rotocast mold died after a fraction of the castings that the mold only used for polyesters could have yielded (same rubber). Unfortunately, after the roto mold failed I started using the polyester only mold for both urethane and polyester, because time was at a minimum for making new molds. This is a gigantore no no in mold making and casting. It's a classic case of, "If I do it, I'll get in trouble ... but I'll do it anyway" lol I had little choice with the pressure that was on about middle of last year. So the urethane plastic took its toll on the polyester only mold too, and that led to its ultimate failure. Otherwise, it would still be a viable mold.

This time around, two molds are being made for polyester only. Both molds can still be used in tandem for faster production. Staggering things the way one should. So good points there. It's something I've wanted to elaborate on for a long time and keep forgetting.

Chris, I like the idea of a larger GMH. I have a big Mellon and the FP budget I have barely fits. Also I like the all fiberglass helmets. While the resin ones are nice, they are heavy. Hopefully like locitus says, it won't be detrimental to your health.
On a side note, do you do layaway for a jet pack lol? And I may have a schematic for the circuit we talked about by next week.
PM sent about the GMH rf.

Isnt the FP Premium still available for the people who want a slightly larger helmet? The MGH is NOT small by any means the Asok Jango helmet is smaller and PLENTY of people wear it.

The idea of clean-slate 'GMH2' sounds awesome! Any thoughts on providing aluminum ears for any of these buckets as a standard option (of course for additional cost)? Or will you leave that to Mojo?
I will most certainly sign up for a run of a clean GMH2 helmet!

The Premium or 'Proto' is still there for folks. But no one seems to want it anymore lol
But great point you make there Dom :cheers

Necro, aluminum will always be an outsource kind of thing for me. Where I live
5000ft elevation, and 100 miles from nowhere, it's REALLY tough to source that sort
of thing. Mojo, will definitely be the man on the ears for any GMH derivative (y)

dayum I didn't think filling in those scratches would be that much of a issue for a whole second mold lol but very thoughtful. Great news though :)

Great news indeed. I've been speaking to Dom about making a "pristine" helmet free of any dings and dent(s) and this would actually be perfect. PM'd you though, Chris.

Thanks for the update! So what does this entail, if anything, for those of us who have ordered in the past few months? Our helmets are nearing production or already have?

As described, this naming scheme would make sense to me:

GMHa = untouched, original GMH
GMHb = same as GMH but without scratches
FPH2= enlarged/otherwise modified GMH

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but GMH2 makes it sound like it's "new and improved" but really it sounds more like a variant of the GMH. In my view the GMHa and GMHb would be more appealing to collectors who want something as close as possible to an original Fett helmet. The FPH2 would be a little more versatile, appealing to people with bigger heads and those that just want a quality helmet to do with what they please. It'd more or less replace the FPH perhaps?

Sounds great FP! I think the FPH2 or whatever you decide to call it sounds like a good idea. It would have some lineage to the real thing but fit a wider range of heads. The premium kit will still be there too if that is what people want. It still has lineage too but just to a different helmet. It sounds like you are going to have a lot of the bases covered.

I think that if you are taking the effort to do a cleaned up GMH (messing up the lineage somewhat), scaling it up might not be a bad idea. The GMH is smaller than I was expecting. It fits me, but just barely. I'm a little Fett, more Jango sized than Boba. The 6' plus folks might look a bit tiny-headed in a GMH as-is.

Will you be doing any sort of price difference between the GMH/GMH2, old FPH, and the "FPH2" (upsized GMH)? Had I known that the Asok/FP Budget helm was so big on me, I would have waited until this announcement before buying my first helmet... :facepalm

We need manufacturer helmet and armor sizing charts, people! :lol:

Btw, guys? If that last post sounded 'abrasive', it was NOT intended. Toward anyone whom I addressed directly especially. I sincerely hope no one took it this way. The pitfalls of forum typing devoid of facial expressions. Just sayin ;)

Chris

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back