WIP: ESB MOW JetPack Progress!

JayBox325

Hunter
Hi everyone, here is my build & paint up of my MOW jetpack. I painted my previous jetpack in a different method, I layered silver, masked scratched areas, sprayed green, sprayed black, weathered, took masking off and it was done. This time I have sprayed green, hand painted (with sponges & my fingers) the black & brown weathering then hand painted the silver on the edges sometimes smudging with my fingers. Looking back I prefer the first method as it's less scary as using a brush I find it is very easy to make a mistake and paint is harder to sort out than liquid latex.

I also fitted my Dark-Side Aluminium Beacon light, then I used Velcro to stick the battery pack with switch on the inside of the pack.

Here are some pictures of the paint up & Beacon (I didn't take any photos of the MOW build as it's all the same):

photo 1.JPG jetpack.jpg

I have a harness with hooks on the way. Hopefully I'll be fitting a stabiliser (non-aluminium for now), creating a method for fitting the thrusters using DarthVoorhees' tutorial, fitting the Dark-Side thruster aluminium accessories and I'll be spraying the yellow and red additions to the pack then the painting is DONE! :D I am so excited because I have had this kit untouched through a break up and living on my parent's floor for a while, and it's so nice to finally be able to get it done! :D

photo 2.JPG

Sweet! Sounds good!, bad news on my end though. The primer I have isn't reacting well with the plastic, so the paint chips off very very easily. :( I'm going to leave it for comic-con, but after that I'm going to re-spray it. UGH!

9 times out of 10 eBay is a mistake with this hobby. But it was from 'Dark-Side' on this forum! :) Very good quality products. Also, I'm selling some Man Of War resin Beacon & Stabiliser :).

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: an upsetting update today. Turns out the primer I used wasn't very good on this surface (even though it claimed to work on plastic) and all the paint is chipping away, especially where masking tape has been used. So I am going to buy some good quality primers and re-do it. Can anyone in the UK recommend some primers?

photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah man that sux! Did you sand the pack down and give it a wash in warm soap and water before you primed? I find that helps to avoid this. But sometimes it does still happen anyway. Ive had it happen. it really is a downer in the middle of a project to have to start over. :(

I cleaned it, but maybe sanding it down to get the surface tacky would be best. What can I use to wash the paint off? I've hear lighter fluid works, but I don't have any. Does White Spirit work?

That does suck as it was really coming along nicely. For stripping down, I've used both a paint stripper sold in hobby stores (don't have the bottle in front of me to say what brand), as well as over cleaner. Both worked, but the oven cleaner required a lot less elbow grease to remove. If you try the oven cleaner method, I would recommend testing on a really small section first to ensure it works as expected.

my heart goes out to you. my fell over and the impact of hitting the floor caused a fair bit of flaking one the bottom. is it flaking all over or just in certain parts? try and stay positive!!

It's flaking in bits. I was going to risk it for comic-con, but if it is flaking this easy with using a sponge to weather & removing masking tape, I don't think it will survive the transport there & wearing it around. I'd be 100% more bummed than I am now if I got there and it was ruined with no time to sort it.

Right. I have skinned my jetpack of all the paint! Given it a bath using fairy liquid and a scrub bud (on MOWs recommendation). I have primered it, sprayed it silver and sprayed it green. Ready for using steel wool to get weathering tonight!

Bad script on the flaking, but it's looking good again.We are always learning in this hobby. What color did you spray this? and What brand name?
Rusto spruce green is no longer available where i am, Maybe you used Humbrol?, I'd really like to know

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back