*UPDATE 2013* WIP : Jayvee's 'lil' chunk of ROTJ love' paint up

Jayvee

Active Hunter
Hello once again my Fett loving brothers and sisters! As I had so many humbling and positive responses to my ESB paint up thread, the time has come to do a ROTJ paint up – so I am detailing it much the same way, in my normal pedantic and long winded way... So please bear with me peeps... Once again, I acquired one of BGHunters brand new casts to paint up. And once again, I cannot speak highly enough about the quality of his work – this new cast is absolutely epic, with fine details added in like no other. I will say it again – if you are looking for a quality, screen accurate helmet with correct screen non symmetry etc, James is right up there with the very best. I only hope my paint can do his awesome work some justice... So, on to the paint up. I spent a long time colour testing to get what I feel is a really good colour combination, and am using Humbrol, Folquil and Model Master paints. I have taken bits and pieces from lists such as Evan, Spidey, BGHunter and SlavePilot 1, and have also come up with a few of my own mixes for areas like the back panel green. I will document the colours as I update each section. Once again, it is a fully airbrushed job, and fully layered, bar some fine detailing work, which is topical to match the sandy helmet. One last thing I will mention, is that the version I am going for is this time as it appears in the ‘Star Wars the Exhibition’ and ‘Magic of Myth’ Exhibits, with a little extra in the damage and marks department. So, with that said, away we go!.... :)

JAYVEE'S ROTJ COLOUR LIST (As of 4/11/2012)

*All the paints listed are ENAMEL based, through an airbrush.

BASE COAT - Humbrol Light Grey (147)

MISTING THROUGHOUT ALL SILVER AREAS - Humbrol Silver (11). Misting over silver using a combo (this should be actual fading, not mixing the colours together) of Humbrol Gunmetal (53) and Humbrol Tank Grey (67).

KEY SLOTS (REAR) – Same as above, will just need some Floquil Caboose mists in between upper key slots, particularly the 2nd, 3rd and 4th slots.

BACK PANEL MAIN GREEN - ‘Jayvee’s Chameleon Green’ – Floquil Southern Green and Floquil CNW Green mix (1:1 ratio).

DOME AND LOWER CHEEKS MAIN GREEN – Humbrol 31 + Humbrol 78 (approx. 2 ½: 1 ratio mix). Misting over main dome/ lower cheek green: Airbrushed mists throughout, using a combination of: Humbrol 66 (Olive Drab), Humbrol 147 (Light Grey), Humbrol 150 (Forrest Green), Humbrol Cockpit Green (78) and Floquil Caboose, matching reference photos as much as possible. Also some respraying over areas with main green, as well as some very minor splatters with Humbrol 33 (matt black).

KILLSTRIPES - Humbrol 82 (orange lining) + Model Masters International Orange (2:1 ratio mix).

UPPER CHEEKS - Tamiya XF-17 (Sea Blue); Misted over with Model Masters Schwartzgrun RLM 70.

MANDIBLES AND TRIM – A very light spray of Humbrol Ocean Grey (106), to even out colour after mistings have been masked. MAIN COLOUR - Floquil Caboose.

EARS – Rangefinder Ear : Humbrol tank grey (67), Humbrol Gunmetal (53), Humbrol Metallic black, humbrol Matt black(33), Humbrol Gold, Floquil Caboose.

Other Ear : Basecoat of Humbrol light grey (147). Once dry, mask out damage areas to remain 147 colour, and apply - Humbrol Blue Grey (106), then mist looking at reference pics using a combination of : Humbrol tank grey (67), Humbrol Gunmetal (53), Humbrol Metallic black, humbrol Matt black(33), Humbrol Gold, Floquil Caboose.

These were applied using reference pictures as much as possible, then weathered with a combination of techniques with sanding, steel wool, washes and pastel weathering.

DETAIL : A heap of fine detail work throughout entire helmet with various colors, starting from, but not limited to : Humbrol Light Grey (147), Humbrol Matt White (34), Humbrol Silver (11), Humbrol Matt Black (33), Humbrol Tank Grey (67), Humbrol Olive Drab (66), Humbrol Cockpit Green (78), Humbrol Chocolate (98), Humbrol Insignia Yellow (154), Humbrol Wine (73), Humbrol Forrest Green (150), Floquil Caboose, Floquil Dark Blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prep Work

I’ve said it before – I loathe the prep work. But it has to be done, and the better the prep, the better foundation to paint. James cut out the visor area for me before he sent it, but I fitted a visor, cut out the key slots to display a nice resin MQ-1 cast that I had, bondo’d any loose areas, and sanded that dude down. Being a bit strapped for time, it probably took me a good 10 days for the prep work. I then primed the lid, checked for imperfections, lightly resanded, and gave it a basecoat with Humbrol 147 (super light grey).

Pics 1 and 2 show a ready to go primed and base coated lid, pic 3 shows the cut out key slots with the MQ-1 cast attached (this pic is after the silver layer, as I didn’t have a good earlier pic of it), and pic 4 is of all the lovely little accessories that come with our lovable Mr. Fett. The small Honeywell micro switch is a great little cast, but I have replaced it with a real one that James had sent me for my ESB lid (not pictured)– I thought I had lost it, but found it in my art box the other day, so I will use it to fit both of my helmets if I ever need to take some high quality pics. Last but not least is the Interior – I dirtied it up a touch, and clear coated the gel coat, as that is how the ROTJ interior appears. I have other nic nacs to add in there for accuracy down the track – ill update this section in good time...

A.jpgB.jpgC.jpgD.jpgINTERIOR 1.jpg

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

INTERIOR 1.jpg

Back Panels

I always like to do the back panels first. There of course is no actual rule; it just helps me kinda get my painting groove on. Also, it is the one area a little separate from the rest, so once completed, you can mask it out and cover it up - where the other areas are sort of all connected in some way. In any case, the pics show how I attacked this area. It is quite a different process to ESB – while that paint job is layer after tedious layer of stencilling and masking, there are less layers in ROTJ – however, each layer is more involved. It’s definitely a reason why I really love the process of this paint up, and it has really grown on me...

Pic 1 shows the masking on the basecoat colour – this is minimal, but to my eye, there are a few areas where it looks like the gel coat shows through, so this is how I approached it. Some people don’t worry about the basecoat colour, but I like it for 2 reasons : 1. as mentioned, you can bring out small areas to replicate the gel coat, and 2. I like it so I can accurately stencil out my nicks and gouges section by section, so the damage lines up accurately. Then once they are added in and the silver goes on, you have nice, clean looking gouges. You can see this before and after comparison in pic 2...

Pic 3 shows the silver layer now on and getting ready for the misting of the silver process. Here, I have liquid masked the areas to remain bright silver, and then using my scaled templates, I roughly transferred the areas where the shading will be. Pic 4 shows the shading process over these areas. It looks a mess, but trust me – there was many a reference photo pulled out, and a definite method to the madness. It was also a perfect time to shade the key slot area, as they used the same misting colours...

F1.jpgE1.jpgG1.jpgH1.jpg

F1.jpg

E1.jpg

G1.jpg

H1.jpg

Back Panels (cont...)

After this, the misting had a light matt cote to keep it all intact, and was then completely re-stencilled, being very exact this time. Then it was time for the wonderful shade of green to go on. Now boy - did I try some greens. I tried everything I could get my hands on to get that real ‘chameleon’ Green shade that changes so much in the reference pics, depending on the light and camera settings. I wasn’t a fan of straight CNW green – it was just too dark for my liking, and simply didn’t have the vibrancy that the green on the real helmet appears to have in certain lights. I tried to photo the CNW in many lights, with or without flash etc, and it was just too dark or too blue. I mixed many a colour, until I came across what I think is a perfect shade – a mix of Floquil CNW Green and Floquil Southern Green (1:1 mix). The addittion of the Southern green really is the catalyst for this colour, and in my mind, it is spot on - changes in light, has the correct vibrancy and hue, and isnt either too dark or too 'lime'... It is definately what I will stick to for any future ROTJ or PP2 lids...

After this layer, came all the misting and detail work. I love this part, and found it a really good challenge versus just stencilling and masking layer upon layer. The pics show the back panels in their 98% completed stage. A couple odd scratches here and there, but pretty much done. Pics 1-4 show the back panels in detail. One thing I tried to emulate accurately was the misting over the green. The Right hand panel is pretty much standard misting, but the left hand panel on close inspection, has fine splatter misting – which I was able to do by taking my time and constantly crimping my air hose on the compressor. I also sprayed a few very light mists of caboose in the key slot area as it appears – particularly in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th key slot for accuracy...

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Comparison Pics and Back Panels colour list

Here, I have some comparison pictures. I have updated these images with some new ones of mine in the sunlight - the main reason was to show just how the green changes dramaically depending on the light - which is something that stands out in the reference pics of the actual helmet. You can see the differrence in the shade of the green, compared to my other detail shots of the back panels on an overcast day in the shade, a couple of posts up. I'm really happy with the colour, as because it seems to act very much like the pics of the real lid, it means im pretty close to the actual colour, or at least in the same ballpark. The CNW alone simply does not act like this...

So enjoy the first section gang. It might be a little while until the next update, as I am taking the newly Mrs. Jayvee on a honeymoon to the mighty So Cal for some summer and Beach Volley action. Thanks for looking gang, as always, any ideas or feedback most welcome. Peace...

Colour list:
Humbrol Light Grey (147) (basecoat), Humbrol Silver (11), misting over silver using a combo (fading, not mixed together) of Humbrol Gunmetal (53), Humbrol Blue Grey (79) and Humbrol Tank Grey (67). Key slots masked off, then ‘Jayvee’s chameleon Green’ applied – Floquil Southern Green and Floquil CNW Green mix (1:1 ratio). Fine detail work added with Humbrol silver (11), Humbrol Light Grey (147) and Humbrol Tank Grey (67). Various fine details using a variety of colours.

comparison 1.jpg

comparison 2.jpg

comparison 3.jpg

WOW! Jayvee! What you did so far is awesome! That is pure perfection... in each and every detail! Can't wait to see the other parts painted!

You and Mrs. Jayvee have a good time on that honeymoon and I wish you both all the best!

Thank you kindly gents. Ahh Raf, I cant tell you how much i'm looking forward to a nice break. Appreciate the kind words on the paint so far! :)

Bro that is looking killer and love what you did with the weathering on the back. The green mix that you came up with on the back panel looks spot on to me well done.So which tourney are you going to Hermosa or Manhattan?

Cheers Deadland, means alot from a paint master like yourself :)

As for the volley - Hermosa open my good man! We'll just miss Manhattan, but will be there for the manhattan 6-man which is always classic! Cheering on my good bud Matty O! :)

Cool have a good time, used to live in El Segundo back in the day and would go a watch. Great event!!!

Wow, that looks excellent! I was a latecomer to your ESB thread, but I'll be following this one for sure.
I'm in love with that green you mixed for the back panels. Seriously, I want to take it out for dinner and
give it some flowers. :lol:
You definitely have an eye for patterns and details!

Yea Superjedi, I found the green really responds the best when you give it a gentle massage and cuddle.. Just a small carress, all above board of course.. ;-)

Thanks for the words of support so far chaps! :)

Wow, that looks excellent! I was a latecomer to your ESB thread, but I'll be following this one for sure.
I'm in love with that green you mixed for the back panels. Seriously, I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant. :lol:
You definitely have an eye for patterns and details!

fixed. thank you 30 Rock.

Wow Jayvee! You are truly amazing! (y) The misting is fantastic and the detail is mind blowing!! :love Thanks so much for sharing all the techniques and paints that you have used. So looking forward to the rest of your paint up, as I'm sure everyone here is!!! Have a great time on your honeymoon and congratulations to you both! I'll be watching this space!!! :cheers

Wow Jayvee! You are truly amazing! (y) The misting is fantastic and the detail is mind blowing!! :love Thanks so much for sharing all the techniques and paints that you have used. So looking forward to the rest of your paint up, as I'm sure everyone here is!!! Have a great time on your honeymoon and congratulations to you both! I'll be watching this space!!! :cheers

Thanks for the huge props there Dave, far, far too kind. I definately like to share as much info as I can, as particularly with ROTJ, there seems to be less info than ESB paintups, so even if someone gets one technique or colour out of it,then im glad I could be of some help.Thanks again mate!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back