CSK225's GMH Progress Thread... this will be a long one :)

CSK225

Active Hunter
Ok, I figured it's time to start this thread. I've never done anything like this prior so this is a project of learning at the same time for me. I got the helmet on the 28th of May and have been struggling to find the time to work on it. I decided to do all the cutting and trimming prior to giving it an acetone bath. I've done a lot of sweating and made only a few marks that will require filling.

I have to say, the casting on this helmet is flawless (Kudos to Chris!). As far as mounting the ears, I've decided to use glue on everything for the time being in anticipation of metal ears in the near future. I don' t want to drill any holes that may not necessarily match up with those in the future. I've obtained an original switch (thanks to Jinto!) and an SX-70 for the RF in anticipation. I should get a borden connector before I do any heavy work on this.

The only trimming I have left to do is thinning out the top of the visor which will be the hardest part due to it being very difficult to get at thanks to those cheek indents.
I was initially torn about which helmet to do on this. Aside from the obvious PP2, I think this would be ideal as an ROTJ helmet. I'm highly biased toward the ESB however (that IS Boba Fett as far as I'm concerned). The ESB helmet is so much different than the rest by comparison that I'm almost reluctant to do it. But, I can't help it... I have to have ESB. ESB or bust, baby! This will be a rattlecan job as my wife would kill me if I went and bought an airbrush for this.

My project today was to finish filing out the keyslots. That didn't take too long but I had to use a metal emery board to open the horizontals enough to get my file in there.

Ok, on to the photos... these are 640x480 for the time being in the interest of space.

5813970771_7e1ab499b6_z.jpg
5813963651_3a1de6c335_z.jpg
5813963587_45d466fb94_z_d.jpg
5813963473_c2d8eb2881_z_d.jpg
5813963705_fcdc3a196e_z_d.jpg
5814532336_3a39551ae8_z_d.jpg

Ok, here's a short update... I've thinned out the upper rim of the visor with no damages incured... WHEW! I'll be installing a liner and chin strap tomorrow I think. That should work out just swimmingly. I'll update with photos of that when I'm done. I've yet to get a piece of perspex for the visor, but I don't anticipate any issues installing that. Here's a couple shots with the visor and keyslots trimmed out... finally! These photos here also have the RF from my old dp96 attached (sort of). The scale on that piece is actually right on the money!

5828038276_7a7a499e1c_z_d.jpg

5827489813_e47061c391_z.jpg

Don't be shy! Tell us the truth! :lol:

Ok. The honest truth is I'm painting mine to match the Don Post version! :lol:

I attached my chin strap today which also meant attaching the antenna. I will post a pic shortly.

Edit: here's a phot with the strap attached and the headliner in sitting roughly in place for reference...

IMAG1307.jpg

Quick update... went to Airgas and got a visor, cut it out this morning and temporarily duct taped it in. I don't want to cut the bottom until the holders are in and everything's placed.

IMAG1314.jpg

IMAG1315.jpg

Ok, I'm done with the "construction" phase on the main helmet. My head gear and chin strap are in and the visor is attached and trimmed up. Everything is removable so I should be able to start the painting process next. That will be the tricky part. I will have to put in an MQ-1 board but that can wait until later because I won't have to reef on anything with that piece (and risk screwing up the paint in the process).

Putting the visor in was a real pain. I went with the chicago screw method because it required a STRONG base to pull the mandibles in. The film helmet verion would not have worked because it just wouldn't hold the mandibles in. The only thing I will be required to do at the very end is put a touch of hot glue on the bottoms of the mandibles just to keep them from moving around. They don't move now but I want something there should it get knocked against something. I've only used two screws to hold the visor in and it's TIGHT!

P1040792b.jpg

P1040801b.jpg

That's a beautiful helmet interior. If the paint job will be as good as the interior is then you will have an amazing helmet in your possesion. Good work so far...

Here's a short crummy quality video for those of you on the fence about buying one of these. This suckers' really got "the look".

Last edited by a moderator:
that was some really ominous music.. i was really expecting something bad to happen... Very cool though..

my bucket is still on order I'm soo stoked to get it. its my first Boba bucket...

are you trying for screen accuracy?

Looks awesome so far.. Good luck with the rest! I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread.. :)

That visor really was tough. I need to adjust mine a bit to pull the mandibles together a little bit. The verticals seem a bit too wide. That won't be too tough anyhow. The nice thing is that EVERYTHING is removable off this so I can paint with no worries. I'm also considering getting a shade 3 visor. Shade 5 seems awful dark. I can have both and switch them out as desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GMH is such a great helmet (I see one in my future, though I can already hear the shouts about money spent).

Btw, what liner are you using? Looking forward to the progress on this paintup!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back