I've finally started.

Saz

Hunter
As some of you may know me, I tend to be a bit of a perfectionsist and with all my helmet work taking up all my time, it's been hard to start, despite the amount of prodding from the guys here and on mercs.

Anyhoo, you also may know that a heavy dump of snow brought Britain to a halt a few weeks ago and made it impossible for me to make helmets due to the cold delaying the cure time for the resin.

So I badgered my mom to help me sew up my vest and she did a fantastic job of it.

Ok time for piccies.

My original concept:

Sazideafinal1.jpg

I'm now going with silver as opposed to gold, it was influenced by that secret santa present I made.

Some of my soft parts and my cat...

Sazprogress.jpg

Here are my plates bent around my frame and stuck to me with tape

sazplates.jpg

Then me dressed up in all the soft parts with the vest my mommy kindly sewed for me:

plates.jpg

I decided to go the snaps route, I first tried glueing the snaps, but they got pulled off when I tried to remove the snaps, after much thought, I decided that I would have to put a hole into the plate and cross the bridge of covering the hole when I came to it.

Firstly there was the chest plates:

Platesfixed.jpg

And I did a quick sketch to see what the plates would look like with the pattern from my original concept:

Platesfixedpaint.jpg

Then I just popped all the plates and attached them to the vest:

vest.jpg

Now I was at the bridge, I decided to cover the holes with some fiberglass, file it down and then cover the whole plate with a cold cast of Aluminium:

collar2.jpg

Voila! Holes begone!!! :)

Collar1.jpg

Now my UK clan have had a thought and have decided that all people who will be allowed to troop must show the clan symbol, there was further discussion and it was "generally" agreed that the clan colours were gold and black, so I decided to cold cast in bronze for the plate on the side.

Lots of buffing later:

Bronzedplate.jpg

And me looking buff... *Ahem*

shoulder1.jpg

shoulder2.jpg

The plate will have the logo done tomorrow hopefully, I may hand paint it on, as stencilling might be a bit tough with the way the symbol's been designed.

Anyhoo, that's my current progress.

Right,

I've done the other bell, this time it has a cold cast coat of aluminium and I've just done the basic Mythosaur skull.

Now, tell me, should I elaborate more on this side to make the border as decorative as the clan bell?

leftbell.jpg

updatedbell.jpg

Also, should I do more with the collar piece?

Collar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm chiming in a lil late here... go for the concept scetch SAZ, it's gonna look SICK!

Just so you guys are kept up do date, here's my current progress:

Chest plate design done, slightly different to the concept, but close enough.

chest.jpg

Plus a cold cast bucket, I brushed brass resin into the dragon and then followed up with aluminium resin.

Polishedhelm1.jpg

polishedhelm2.jpg

Then I did a paint job:

paintedbucket2.jpg

paintedbucket1.jpg

A bit more work done, I used my etcher to get the keyslots out, added the comms antennae and did a little bit of light weathering on the bucket.

Helmfront.jpg

Helmleft.jpg

Helmrear.jpg

Helmright.jpg

Helmcloseup.jpg

That is a thing of beauty there SAZ.

Gonna ask... how does this "cold cast" work? Is it powdered metal mixed into resin?

That is a thing of beauty there SAZ.

Gonna ask... how does this "cold cast" work? Is it powdered metal mixed into resin?

That's exactly it, you need a lot of it though, the resin is basically binding the metal powder together, so when you come to sand it back it will begin to shine. The issue with Cold casting is the cost of the metal powder. It's ridiculously expensive!

This is legendary! What color is the visor going to be? Reflecting gold would be awesome!

As awesome as that idea sounds, I want to keep the gold on the armour pretty brief and I want the dragon to be the eyecatcher, I think a gold visor would take attention away from the design. So I'll be sticking to a plain old boring standard green.

Have you thought about a mirrored black or mirrored smoke visor? That's an awesome buy'ce Saz, I love seeing ppl finish these Krayt buckets of yours

Hey! I'm not done yet :)

Gotta spray the inside with Plasti dip, install the fans and head sponges and of course the visor.

I think I also need to get some grill material for the keyslots as well, I have one fan that has LEDs in it too, so should glow real purdy! :D

Just the rest of the fans done and the helmet is complete.

Frontish.jpg

rightside.jpg

I did install one fan, which was the most difficult, it's one with some LEDs attached.

Keyslot2.jpg

Keyslot-1.jpg

Tadaaaaa!

Tadaaaa.jpg

Well, there's a little more to go, install the rest of the fans, make the crotchplate and buff up and paint the belly plate, as I said before I will probably wear a cloak for getting myself a member status, but I fully intend to backplate and jetpack in the future.

I found my old lycra baggy pants, back in the days of being stupidly overweight and I have cut them down to make a girth belt (they are red), I also cut the leg from one of my old singlets to make a collar, lycra breaths very easily, so it will cover the neck without being unduly sweaty.

All then is to get my gaunts and kneepads all sorted out and I'll start on the weapon.

Front part all sorted, now to make the crotchplate, the cloak and await for my stuff to come through the post.

sazmando1.jpg

sazmando2.jpg

sazmando3.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back