job openings?

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Hey all! I know this is an odd place to post something of this nature,but hey,its worth a shot with all the talented people here n such, amybe someoneknows someone or something....seems the only way to get ajob these days!! :lol:

Im desperately (hence why im asking here lol) looking for a new job,that is NOT retail..

Prefferably in the art/graphics field. i can draw free hand, ive done logo design and layout and print ads,but dont really have any web design knowledge or experience. If anyone knows any online company i can work for from home,or a company based in NYC or the surrounding area, please let me know!

I can also do fiberglass castings,sculpting and the likes which i usually use for my hobby/costuming stuff i do here, but hey,if anyone happens to know anything about those types of jobs,im all ears for that too!

thanks for reading and for any info anyone may have!

I have a few comments. Please don't take this the wrong way because I am trying to help you. I hate to be "that guy" who says all this but...

Your post is littered with typos/grammar problems. That is not a good way you advertise yourself for any job, even among friends. Art leads are usually extremely detail oriented.

Also, you mentioned that you have worked on a few things. When looking for design work, you will usually need to show your work rather than just explaining it. A picture speaks 1000 words right?

You should first gather whatever you have created, organize it in a professional manner, and edit your post to reflect your professionalism. If you do not feel that you currently have anything completed that reflects what you are able to offer, start working on some new material right now.

Good luck!!

By the way, I am on the sidelines too right now, so I know how you feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Shockwave

Being an Art Director myself, I would recommend you play up what you DO know instead of what you don't. IE: "dont really have any web design knowledge or experience"

Also if you are currently unemployed I would use every spare moment you have learning more programs, if graphics is your area of interest.

With the economy still in the gutter, you won't find many places that will hire someone JUST for web graphics, or JUST for Illustrations, you almost need to be a jack of all trades in this industry, or at least know enough to be dangerous.

If you don't feel your web saavy is up to snuff, I would recommend trying out Dreamweaver. It has both coding and WYSIWYG interfaces for us creatives. Also if you are comfortable with the CS3 suite, I would recommend playing with Flash also.

If you have limited portfolio pieces from published works, start creating them. Even if you create make believe Coca Cola ads, it shows your design chops off.

My last gem would be to buy a domain, a dot com, not net, info, etc and start chipping away at building an online presence. Even if you have nothing to start with but 5 logo designs, a start is a start.

Like Shock said, don't take any of it personally, we're just trying to help you out if we can.

thanks guys.

i wasnt specifically looking for actual jobs from anyone here, just maybe a suggestion of where to look. My space bar is busted up so thats why some words aren't spaced properly. i was annoyed at my current job situation and was typing fast, and not checking for typos because i was just asking for suggestions, not actually applying for a job. i also brought up what i'm not good at so people don't start suggesting things out of my league or field of interest. that would be wasting thier time and i didn't wanna waste any denters time :)
that being said, I do appreciate the help!

So yea,i worked on print ads,but they were for an adult company so i didnt think posting that work would be a good idea lol

wildabeast...i may just do that once i have a few things too put on a site

Thanks everyone..corrose, you have some good suggestions there and i think i will take a few of them.i also just started dating a girl who happens to do web design,so she can help me also. I currently have a job,so its not like dyer.. i just want to move on from it. Im always told how talented i am and why on earth im working in an art/bookstore...and im beginning to wonder that myself...

Yeah there's nothing better for motivation on starting a fresh new career/life than doing work that doesn't bring you satisfaction.

If you feel you're destined for more, pursue it with everything you have.

I understand not posting adult related material you have worked on. At the very least if you feel any of the work showcases your design abilities, I would consider putting a section on your site under your portfolio that shows any of this work, and just password protect the page. Better to have it available IF needed, than need it to show someone and not have it. Hell, Adam Hughes (one of my favorite artists) had his early illustration roots in Penthouse, so don't discredit any of your own work if you think it speaks for your talents.

I'm by no means an expert but if you have any other questions you think I might be able to help with, please feel free to drop me a PM.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back