Debate of EVO3s shirt design

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=32894

Ok, Now as you can tell I am against said shirt as I feel it does call or imply members of the 501st are recasters. Asok from the Admin staff has asked that any discussion on the shirt other than interest be discussed elsewhere. To that end I have started this thread. Please feel free to discuss but lets keep it civil.

my issues with this are,

1. I feel this shirt is offensive to members who belong to the 501st as it implies that they are recasters or support them.

2. The creator of this item is using a copyrighted design in a way that is malicious.

Lets discuss.

The EVO3 501st Anti-recaster T-shirt discussion thread.

This thread is to discuss the T-shirt being offered by EVO3 here;
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=32894
We do not want to derail his thread, so I have created this thread to discuss everyone's feelings on it.

Here's the design;
front
501stapproved-1.jpg

back
FMPFRecast501shirt1-1.jpg

Dicuss your feelings freely. But keep it civil, lest we incur the wrath of the Mods.

Merged.

Guys and Gals, you will keep this civil. I am not asking but telling you. Please also read the last line of my sig.

Well every thing is a recast of some kind. The only ones permited by LFL to make the costume/armor parts are the companies that they let do it.

recast'n or maken your own, Still is not legal to do. So unless you have a permision slip from LFL.... you are breaking the laws. Just cause you made your own will not protect you from the Lawyers of LFL. if any thing the guys who make there own stuff are a bigger target for LFL to take down.

This is dumb and a dumb shirt. Hell 501st should send word of this to LFL and get this guy sued for using a stormtrooper logo :)

i dont like the shirt, and won't get one.. i think the more we focus on the negative sides of this hobby, the more un-fun it gets.. i joined cuz i enjoy star wars, i like making kids smile. thats why i dont get involved in the politics of issues like this. by making the shirt, he is putting a spotlight on a negative issue, and thus, taking away from the hobby..

BTW, as a garrison merchandise officer, he needs legion approval to use the legion logo...

This is dumb and a dumb shirt. Hell 501st should send word of this to LFL and get this guy sued for using a stormtrooper logo :)

That was possibly the stupidest comment thats ever been posted on this board and there has been some bad ones. Do you know how many hundreds of people uses stormtroopers and other star wars images in their work. Lucas doesn't care about you unless you start making a good amount of money with their images.

The design of the shirt is a little lost on me, but I get the message that 501 will allow recast costume parts to be included in there membership....right?

The recasting thing is a subject that will always be part of the scene. I think that educating members is key to reducing the amount of recast parts that are floating around. I am sure that many people have bought an item in good faith which they may or may not have discovered later was a recast item. Now that I understand the problem i will only buy direct from vendors I know are the original makers, or parts offered with the original maker credited.

As for an anti recaster shirt, I would support that, but not this particular shirt.

I don't know what the 501st policy is re recasting, would anyone care to post it?

The policy is that as a club they won't police recasting.
I agree If it was simply an anti recasting shirt I would be in but this design, I feel, implies something that is not wholly true.

this is the policy
the 501st Legion does not condone, support, or encourage re-casting. It is, however, outside of the scope of this club's mission, charter, authority, jurisdiction, and purview to consume our time and energies as a volunteer organization in efforts to prosecute those who, of their own volition, choose to engage in re-casting.

i can already see where this is going.
recaster: you don't own the intellectual rights to the helmet
prop maker : but i took my time and money to sculpt this helmet and i feel it is wrong for you to make copies of it.
recaster: i don't care!!

bottom line.

recasting is stealing. supporting recasters is stealing.

i support the shirt because MANY 501st members have recasted many helmets and armor artist have hand sculpted and are nice enough to offer it to people that want the stuff that artist produces. and some 501st members are not at all shy to tell you that they recasted something.

support the prop makers or there will be no costumes to wear.

Well a shirt like this is going to start debate...wow.."501st approved" would suggest they support it..and "no stance" is not the same thing..this shirt is disrespectful. The point of the 501st is to wear and share costumes, and technically has nothing to do with prop making. I wouldnt expect them to start policing that. thats what sites like this do. Do i support re-casting, hell no, do i support the 501st, yes i do, and that includes their decision to allow the group to police itself. we are adults are we not? i know plenty of 501st members that will not buy re-cast items, and all the members i know would not ever re-cast...including myself. so the statement on this shirt is just unwarranted, especially to lump the whole group into people who accept re-casting. That is just a totally untrue statement. it also makes the impression the 501st itself is producing recast items. Another misleading statement. My point has nothing to do with recasting itself, (though i am completely against it) but the ethics of this design slandering an entire group of mostly good and honest people

Last edited by a moderator:
recasting is all about honor. If you make a quick and easy mold from someone elses scratch built and designed hard work, they are going to be upset. but is it a legal matter? no, because they didn't have the rights to it either. are people going to be upset if you recasted a don post??? nope.... would the be mad if you racasted a Fettpride? ooohh yeah!!! Is it a double standard? absolutely! But that what happens when your a part of a tight-nit group like the TDH.

i can already see where this is going.
recaster: you don't own the intellectual rights to the helmet
prop maker : but i took my time and money to sculpt this helmet and i feel it is wrong for you to make copies of it.
recaster: i don't care!!

bottom line.

recasting is stealing. supporting recasters is stealing.

i support the shirt because MANY 501st members have recasted many helmets and armor artist have hand sculpted and are nice enough to offer it to people that want the stuff that artist produces. and some 501st members are not at all shy to tell you that they recasted something.

support the prop makers or there will be no costumes to wear.

I am in no way disagreeing with you. Recasting is the same as theft. What I don't like is blanket statements that this shirt makes.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back