What type of "chrome"paint is best to have underneath armor?

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
Now I have not tried this, so I'd do some experimenting first. If this Rub-N-Buff is as good as I've heard, I think using it over the aluminum color would look sharp. Bigkidbiggertoys and Seeker both had really good results with whatever they used. I'd get their opinions.

Anyone tried using a stainless steel? It kind of has a darker hue to it and isn't so shinny but gives a metal look. Just a thought, haven't explored it yet.

i have found that aluminum pait wors best it holds its shine better.

Use a few different shades of silver, aluminum, pewter, etc. Randomly spray a few different coats to achieve a mottled effect. Lightly sand with 1500 grit to get the swirl marks present in real metal & it should look pretty good. I tried the Rub 'n Buff on my pistols. Maybe it is because the paint I am using has a high metallic concentration, but it didn't make a huge difference, it just shined them up a little more. Still it does have it's applications. I found that when I weathered my armor it became realistic looking. I used watered down acrylic black & rust, dabbed on with a stencil brush, sponged to make it random, then dabbed with a rag to remove the sponge marks. This techniqe worked awesome.
image-display

bigkidbiggertoys- Thanks for those suggestions! I didn't even think of those. Did you use a clear coat on yours?

Ed

No clearcoat. Some clearcoats yellow with age & I don't want to have to repaint my armor in a few years. I think if I did clearcoat it it would also ruin the dirt effect & surface scratching. I suppose you could do these steps after too but like I said, some clearcoats yellow with age. Lacquers are notorious for this.

So you paint, then sand, then use the Rub and buff, or do you paint again after you sand?

The tutorial I posted was for Jango armor. I don't think that I would paint over Rub 'n Buff. I am unsure if paint would adhere properly because it seems to be a wax paste with metal particulates.

Does the sintra need to be sanded before you start painting period (aside wfrom what you do to make the metal swirls) and do you need a primer or just go with your silver paint?

It is always good to sand first to prep the surface for better adhesion. I used 220 grit & wet sanded. Wash the pieces, let them dry & then spray a coat of sandable primer. Wetsand again using 400 grit then more primer, then a final wetsand before the finish coats. It seems like a lot of work but it goes pretty quickly. The final finish you get depends on the amount of prep you do before hand.

I wanted to paint the undercoatings of all my armor pieces either a chrome or silver finish. I was thinking to go with chrome since silver does dull out after a while.

I've seen some spray cans that have the chrome cap cover. Does the actual finish look as accurate as real chrome? What do you all recommend?

Also, I wanted to mask off the areas of chrome/silver and paint over it. What is the product that you can apply and then peal off once you've masked an area? I remember reading about it on the boards somewhere that talked about some liquid masking thing that allows you to put Fett battle dents really well. What is this product called and where can I get it at?

The chrome paint is somewhat unpleasant cause it never seems to dry and stays sticky. I had this experience with using in sclupey. Plus, foget about a top coat over it, it will ruin the chrome finish.

I use Sliver #1001 from pep boys automovtive paint works just perfect and dries nicely too.

Bear

I used Krylon Chrome paint, it comes in a thin black can. It worked very well for me, It had a VERY smooth and reflective silver look to it. The paint I used over it was a water base enamel that I used an airbrush to apply. I found I was able to scrape off the enamel with my fingernail to expose the silver underneath while it was still a little damp.

I can't think of one spot on Boba's armor where you see shiney or mirrored metal showing through. Just like the rest of the suit, it is dull and weathered. I used Rust-Oleum Aluminum 7715. The aluminum gives it a definate metal look without appearing 'show room new' in the worn spots. You should us the same silver on all of the worn areas of the armor so that you get a consistent look. This color actually dries pretty quick too.

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back