Jedi General (clone) armor.

Darthjake

New Hunter
i have recently began making a jedi general's costume based off the obi-wan clone wars costume, like many other people im sure. first off i bought a clone bucket from wallmart. the hasbro one, which, surprisingly, is actually prety awesome. i do plan on modding it (alot). i get my sintra sheets tomorow, so i will begin making the arms/legs/chest when that gets here. so my main question is can anyone help me with a list of items i will need for making this, tips on using sintra, advice ect. also tips on the shape of the arms and legs. i know alot of members here have homemade clone/ST armor, so im sure someone can help me out =)
thanks in advance for your help.

oh and btw, im not planning on being an obi... just a random jedi general with the same style robe/armor as obi.

Bump. any advice would be more than helpful at this point. will have piks of the helmet up soon. i cut most of the plastic that wonr be needed off, like most of the inner face mask, the block under the fin for the batteries/speaker, ect. heading down to the hardware store to pick up some lexane for the visor and (hopefully) some limmo tint to get the chrome reflective visor look.

are you going to be going with the clone wars movie style clone general?

002399629156.jpg

2680685041_a2de6b1f87.jpg

or the clone wars animated?

kenobiacme.jpg

both appear to be needing to make a stop over by clone-empire.com first. the animated clone general appears to be wearing full clone armor with a robe over everything except the belt where it's tucked in at. the movie style looks to have standard clone arms, calves, and shoes, with a specialized (also seamless, and impossible to wear in one piece) neck/chest plate and the robes over the bodysuit but under the upper body armor and a jedi belt. those are just some of my observations, i'm no clone expert yet. but i do plan on getting there some day soon.

Any head way on this yet? Unfortunately to the costume world, the only person on the market I've seen selling this is starfortress, and from what i've read on this forum, and any other religious SW Costume and Prop forum, he is is a waste of ebay space. So, is anyone open to making this, or has made this? I think the armor is doable, from the pictures, it does look like a vader, but is in three sections (likely for flexibility).

Looking for any answers or help on where to start to do this! Thanks!

it looks pretty simple to make. to get the flexibility and from what the movie picture shows for making it the 3 pieces there is either fabric or elastic that connects in between the main middle and the shoulders. it doesn't look like it connects on the edge but connects in the middle of the shoulder to make it flexible.

anyone thought of maybe doing it like the trashcan fett armor? Maybe with articulation between the pieces of the collar?

If you use medieval armor as a starting point, then it would be a strap and buckle. Buckle with a small strap around 2.5 to 3 inches would go on the inside of the pauldron and the strap would attach to the collar. And you wouldn't have to worry about it showing because the shoulder pauldron would cover the strapping. Also, pieces would be interchangeable that way.

This pic is a good example except that the strapping should be on the underside to allow more movement. and history tells us that it will be functional. And the images from the movie above are in the same configuration. ;)

neck-and-shoulders.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The paldron is actually more complex than you may first think. It's even more then three sections. I've been researching this for myself and have found the Jedi paldron to have 11 sections!!!

You have the center piece for the chest, then one for the back. Two strips either side of these for both front and back. Then two more strips on the left and two on the right. Then the neck ring/collar to complete it. All of these sections are joined by some sort of elastic material. Every section moves freely with the characters body movement.

I modelled a solid one piece in 3D which I think is wearable though it will probably restrict movement but will give you the look of the Jedi armor. I will be working on a more complex multi part version at some point in the future too. With the 3D model I create templates to make them using card and fibreglass or sintra.

Here's a pic of the one piece I did:

Jedi7.jpg

Jedi6.jpg

LOL! Lately I've been doing some new 3D stuff. Those were done before my TCW Clone lid. As I said I hope to get some time to redo the Jedi armor to offer more movement and greater accuracy.

This chest, done with something like Hyperfirm or something cheaper but with the same flexibility, will be the way to go so... :D

Or cheaper, a normal elastic black strip between the pieces :)

These two 3D reference photos are funny. If you noticed, that second one has this chest armor solid and on first picture it is created from plates similar as this steel armor, connected together to be more flexible. Maybe velcro from inside of these chest plates. Hm rubber armor. It sounds interesting but it will have some weight then can be problem to paint it. But generally it is interesting idea, cos it will be more flexible than plastic or fiberglass and you have solved problem with return edges on armor parts. May be hybrid/sandwich construction with reinforced core.

I will see what will be response of Jedi fans in my country if they will have enought members, who want this Jedi General armor to start think about molds for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The armor of the second pic looks like made of ABS, isn't it? :)

PS: I know that it doesn't exist, just the texture guys...

Hey all, first post here and nice site you have here.

I'm looking at doing the new Clone Wars series style Jedi armor myself and I'm looking at doing the armor in strips and attaching to a stretchy backing like neoprene or something elastic. This will be my first attempt at something like this since I normally buy my costumes and have never made anything more complicated than a set of Greek armor from pleather.

Since I don't vacform I'm looking at making mine from fun foam with a styrene covering, at least that's what I plan on doing with chest piece/collar. I'm not sure if I'm going to do greaves and I may just buy the arm guards since I'm not sure that I can make anything that rounded using fun foam and styrene or is it possible?

Hey all, first post here and nice site you have here.

I'm looking at doing the new Clone Wars series style Jedi armor myself and I'm looking at doing the armor in strips and attaching to a stretchy backing like neoprene or something elastic. This will be my first attempt at something like this since I normally buy my costumes and have never made anything more complicated than a set of Greek armor from pleather.

Since I don't vacform I'm looking at making mine from fun foam with a styrene covering, at least that's what I plan on doing with chest piece/collar. I'm not sure if I'm going to do greaves and I may just buy the arm guards since I'm not sure that I can make anything that rounded using fun foam and styrene or is it possible?
www.clonetroopers.net

www.clone-empire.com

Thanks for the links, I'll definitely check those sites out and see what they have to offer. I'm new to the whole Star Wars armor scene so could anyone tell me if it's common for people to sell off only individual components of their armor.

On a related note, how hard is it to make a gauntlet similar to what Obi-wan has in the reference picture of his holding his lightsaber? Is that something that could be fairly easily using styrene and fun foam or would it require something more involved like casting or fiberglass?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back