Imperial Guard Helmet Skupilkinson's Pepakura

tbone9600

Active Hunter
FINALLY FINISHED!! Imperial Guard Helmet Skupilkinson's Pepakura

Here are the pics of the Helmet I assembled from Skips design. I'll have to do some more mods to get it to fit my big ol' pumpkin head. You'll see what I mean by some more mods.
RoyalGuardHelmet001sm.jpg

Beginning the dome
RoyalGuardHelmet006sm.jpg

Finished dome. This was the most tedious part IMHO.
RoyalGuardHelmet004sm.jpg

The Face
RoyalGuardHelmet007sm.jpg

Face and dome connected
RoyalGuardHelmet010sm.jpg

Adding the back. Ran into an issue here you'll see in a sec
RoyalGuardHelmet013sm.jpg

The front
RoyalGuardHelmet015sm.jpg
RoyalGuardHelmet015smhighlight.jpg

The back and the issue. I ended up with a gap in the back from the raised area down. I believe the reason behind it is because I used standard letter head instead of A4. The program automaticly adjusted the aspect ratios when printing and I think it shortened these parts just enough to cause the issue. I simply measured out what pieces I needed to make, cut them out, and glued them in place. I actually think this was a "blessing in disguise" so to speak. If not for this I don't think I could have gotten it on.
RoyalGuardHelmet018sm.jpg

Front Right finished
RoyalGuardHelmet020sm.jpg

Rear Left finished

Over all I think it turned out great and I have something to work with now. It was a fun build. Thanks again Skip.:cheers To get it to fit my head and shoulders a little better I am going to section it and add strips of card stock where needed. It's a little snug in the cheek area and not quite long enough to sit on my shoulders. Again I think this is due to the translation from A4 to standard size. If you want a RG Helmet and cant afford to purchase one of the ones that pop up every now and again I recommend this project. It will require patience. Especially on the dome.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks sweet! Well done! ;) I think you may be right about the print difference. I'm in the UK so used A4, I didn't get this problem. Sometimes it can be caused by not lining up the tabs properly but you wouldn't get a gap like that, so I think the A4-Letter problem raised its head with yours.

I'm just relieved that it worked to your benefit though and improved the fit. Can't wait to see it glassed with some filler over it! I haven't the time for mine lately but I'm eager to see how it will turn out.

Great work T-Bone... nice recovery too!
I'm half way thro mine and as I'm UK the whole A4 issue (wasn't an issue) Phew!

Very nicely done, and very nice work there skupil creating the template.

Out of curiosity skupil what formats will import into that program? Will max? I created a few things in max for a project last year, one was a trooper/mando mix helmet. Id be interested to see it split up.

Though its almost all tri's and polys, so its got a lot of extra pieces.

Thanks very much buddy, What formats will what read? The modelling software I use? Or the unfolding software?

If you're referring to the unfolding software, it doesn't read MAX. :( Though I never use MAX so it's cool for me. It does read 3DS, OBJ formats though. ;)

Your project sounds cool.

I think that 3ds is the first version max used, and you can export to it. Ill see if the thread is anywhere around anymore.

To try and show where the mods will be here are some pics of myself wearing it.
RoyalGuardHelmet026smsection.jpg

The red lines are where I think it would probably be the easiest to add to the length.

RoyalGuardHelmet022sm.jpg

This one shows about how much length I'll need to add. (I know the skull is faded but It has been recolored three times already and every time I get a sunburn it gets a little bit lighter.)

RoyalGuardHelmet024sm.jpg

RoyalGuardHelmet025sm.jpg

For when I do the entire costume I think I'll try and leave the bottom of the back flared out like it is so I have room for a back plate. I plan on doing like a Crimson Empire style armor underneath the robes.

I agree, tat's probably the best place to add height to it. Nice build BTW. ;)

I do have plans to model the CE armor the same way I did the helmet. ;) Though I have no idea when it will happen.

Thanks again and I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

I made the horizontal cut around the helmet but I found that I'll need the help of my lovely assis... I mean wife:lol: to get it put back together. I'll post more pics when that's done.

dont forget to add enough height to account for the thickness of the material when strengthened and or padding.

Pretty kewll:)

At this point I dont think I'll need to pad anything and I plan to do all strengthening from the outside.

I have started reassembling at the horizontal cut and am now trying to deal with allignment issues.:facepalm I think I have it figured out but we'll just have to wait and see. I may have to print of and rebuild some areas if my brainstorm drizzles out.

You could always use the body filler(if you're using it) to resculpt that area to fix the allignment issues??

That crossed my mind. I'll definately have to do that in some areas but I am going to try and keep that to a minimum. although I do so love the smell of body filler as it is sanded/ground away.:lol:

LOL! So, what's your plan for smoothing it out if you're keeping the use of filler to a minimum? I'm curious if you're doing things differently than I have. It'd be good to learn other ways ya know?

Oh, I figure I'll use a lot of filler on the overall project. I just meant I was trying to avoid it for the purpose of realignment. Sorry to make you think I had some kind of secret or new method. Although, I wish I did know some other neat way to do it that I could share.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back