I love 3D!

BH1053

Hunter
Well so far I have learned about polygon and nurb modeling, texturing using hypershade, hierarchies and dependencies, polygonal texturing and creating a skeleton for the characters. I'm starting on skinning, blend shapes, inverse kinematics, rigging and animation next. So far it is a lot of fun!!!!!!
cheerful.png
I love animation and 3D modeling; it has been my dream to do this and now I have the opertunity with my acceptence into the School of Communication Arts! (FYI I havent started school yet) We are moving in case I have to sacrafice my job for school, thats how bad I want this! If I could just get a game studio to pay me $35K a year for an intership life would be great! lol

Haha, thats what I do! I'm going to school to learn how to do 3D model for games and such. We use Autodesk Maya. I modeled a Tie-Interceptor off of a little toy model, a locomotive from a tutorial on how to use Maya, A robotic hand (my own design and it is fully animatable), and a working jack-in-the-box. I love it! It's a lot of work to get proper geometry and such blah... and texturing can be a bit of a pain haha... but I love it! When I learn organics Im going to model Fett :D

El1te

I'm a 3D modeller and visualiser for an Architectural firm. Using 3DS Max alongside Autocad.

I wonder how many other TDHers are doing this??

I've been 3D modeling for years now. My work can be seen in Maxis' SimCity 4. I've been using AutoCAD for my architectural work, and 3D Studio MAX for my 3D modeling. I never got into animation.

Yay 3d artist gather!!!! Im just about to graduate from Expression College with a BAS is Animation and Visual Effects. My main focus is enviromental art, texture and lighting. Ill tell ya what though, i hate rigging :lol: oh man. I mainly use Maya for all 3d work. Havnt really touched anything else though ive head 3ds max is great.

This is awesome! I notice a lot of people use 3D Studio Max. I enver got the chance to use it... How easy is it to use? I'm only experienced with Maya. I love it's Modeling that's about it...haha.

Katua Fett, that's cool! Maybe I can make some models and you can texture em for me because I'm horrible at that haha...

El1te

I am a CG Artist (vauge title, I know) at a post production house and work with 3d Studio Max.

I model, texture, and prep data for alot of advertising companies.

I know you said you haven't started school yet, but I'll go ahead and post this because I noticed a few people said they're going to school at the moment.

You folks that are in school need to network, network and network with everyone that you can, because these are the people who are going to look out for you and vice versa.
Once you're out of school you're competing against people who have been in the industry for years, not only are you going to need a solid reel, but you're going to need people who will give you a vote of confidence.
Trust me.
A solid reel may land you a gig, but I've seen cases where people who aren't exactly the best qualified will get the job simply because they know someone. It goes a long way.

Just remember, the first gig is always the hardest to get and you may have to live off of Ramen noodles while working a minimum wage job, just don't give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've been using maya and autocad for 6 years

used to be really interested in programming games and stuff like that.
now i don't care too much for it.

i still program for work (service tech for an automation company)
and i still do models for prop work.

don't do anything with gaming anymore tho.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back