Getting a helmet - where to start?

scruffyrebel

New Hunter
Hello all!
First time poster here...a total newb, I'm sorry about ^^' I've tried to rummage around here looking for answers as best I could before making this post...but chances are the obvious was right in front of my face, so I apologize now if I'm asking what has, no doubt, been asked dozens of times before.

So, I'd like to get armor at some future date, which is why I'm here of course :) I decided to start with the helmet, so even though I don't plan on being Boba Fett, I hope I've picked the right forum to ask a general helmet question.

Just where do you start? I've seen mentions of the DP 95, the "mystery" helmet, etc. What's the best helmet to start with for a complete novice? How do I tell which eBay sellers I can and cannot trust as far as whether the mold they're casting from is good/bad, and whether they're sanctioned by the armor community?

What's a good price, depending on the helmet, and what's a price that is "too good" to be true? I seem to see a general range of $50-$150 for the resin kits and am trying to figure out what makes one cheaper or more expensive than the other.

I know, a lot of basic, beginner questions. I haven't been able to troop much with people other than Stormtroopers, and the one time I remember getting to look at a gal's Boba helmet, I was too much in awe coveting the helmet to listen to what she was saying about how she made it...

The littlest push/shove in the right direction would be so very appreciated.

~Scruffy

Sgtfang sell sthe mystery helm your looking for. and DP95 i have no clue where to look.
For the price range your looking at i would go with Sgtfangs. If you can budget higher then theres bobmaker and FP...

Is there a big size difference between a mystery helmet and the DP helmets? In the shots Sarge has in that thread you linked to...it looked the DP wasn't as wide as the mystery one. Which, as a girl, it seems like I'd have better luck with a DP just because it might fit my body frame better. I'm a pretty average build at 5'5"...I can't see how a helmet that fits a man well could also fit a woman just as well.

~Scruffy

There is a size difference between the DPs/Rubies and the 'mystery' helmets. The standard DPs are undersized to begin with.
Also, with the DPs being made from a flexible vinyl, you'd more than likely have to do some reinforcing so it keeps its shape.
The mystery buckets are resin (some are reinforced with fiberglass) so you have a really good rigid helmet. They're also more accurate shape-wise.
I guess it depends what your goal is. If you're going custom, then either should suit you.
Like DutchFett said, be very wary of what you see on ebay.

Welcome to TDH! Enjoy the craziness. :)

thanks for the comparison superjedi! and the welcome :)

It's a somewhat hard choice. I want a helmet that fits the size of me well...but I also want a well-made helmet...so if it comes down to it, I'd rather have a bigger, sturdier helmet, than a smaller, flimsier one.

Thanks for the second heads up on eBay too. I'm used to eBay for some things in costuming, or if I know exactly who the seller is...but trooper or fett armor is a whole different story and it seems like it's best to always get gear within the group.

~Scruffy

For your size Victoria, you are probably better off with a DP95. It will look more proportional. If you get a DP95 in good shape, it won't need reinforcement and will be more sturdy than the later year Don Posts/Rubies.

Take a look at some screen shots. Boba does have a rather largish helmet. Almost bobblehead like. I would defenitley go with a mystery size helmet IMHO. If you do go the DP route, you will want to reinforce it with a craft ring or something to retain its shape and flair.

For your size Victoria, you are probably better off with a DP95. It will look more proportional. If you get a DP95 in good shape, it won't need reinforcement and will be more sturdy than the later year Don Posts/Rubies.
If you do the DP, the 1995 model is the best one to get. The are usually white inside. (not always) The 96 is passable and I would not get a 97.

Welcome to TDH scruffyrebel!:cheers

Just thought I'd chip in my 2 cents as you and I are the same height (5'5). I have a SGT fang and I just bought a DP95 from the cargo hold, which should arrive on monday. I could post some comparison pics once I have them both in hand if you would like to see the size difference. :)

Jordain

I wish I would of asked that question before I ordered mine. I got mine and read about how never to get a rubies and then I looked the box and it said "rubies". It's made of vinyl and any hint of heat will make it very moveable and flexible, it's a pain in the *** so don't get a rubies. ever

Welcome to TDH scruffyrebel!:cheers

Just thought I'd chip in my 2 cents as you and I are the same height (5'5). I have a SGT fang and I just bought a DP95 from the cargo hold, which should arrive on monday. I could post some comparison pics once I have them both in hand if you would like to see the size difference. :)

Jordain

Yeah that would be so helpful! It'd be much appreciated.

~Scruffy

when i get back home i can post size comparisons as well. by the way, i sent you a pm scruffy

Hey Scruffyrebel,

Finally got a chance to take some comparison pics, hope these are helpful!
I haven't had a chance to modify either helmet yet, so this is what they look like "out of the box".

The Don Post 1995 (holding onto the sides to make it flare.)
DP95onme.jpg

The Sgt. Fang (has no padding so it is sitting a bit low)
Fangonme.jpg

Comparison 1:
fangandDP2.jpg

Comparison 2:
fangandDP1.jpg

Comparison 3:
fangandDP3.jpg

Comparison 4:
fangandDP4.jpg

The DP:
DPside.jpg

The Fang:
fangside.jpg

Good luck with getting yourself a helmet. :cheers

Jordain

sruffyrebel - I too am 5'5" (and proud of it!!) and my full size helmet seems to be pretty good for size. If I do dress the part of Boba (only making my helmet for display purpose really) I would feel comfortable just wearing a bit of a lift in my shoes and maybe pad out my shoulders to seem broader. In fact, when I put the full size lid over my (small) noggin I sometimes wonder how people with larger heads fit in there comfortably. I have room, sure, but not so much as I would have expected.

By the way.... I gotta ask... is that you in your avatar and banner pics? I thought I was looking at the real Leia for a moment. You look fantastic (if I can say that without it sounding like I'm being creepy). Seriously, you look the part perfectly.

After looking at the pictures again, i feel like they make the Fang look really big compared to the DP...that is mostly due to the fact that I was holding the DP at the right height, while I just let the Fang sit on the top of my head (which made the visor sit at the wrong height).

I photoshopped both pictures and sized them to match each other (using the TDH logo on my t-shirt for reference) and here's a comparison pic that I think shows the true size of the helmets better. :)

overlay.jpg

(The helmets are lined up at the bottom of the mandible.)

I think both helmets would work great, it just comes down to what type of material you are more comfortable working with (resin or vinyl), and the DP needs to be modified to have the correct flare (among other things). I really love them both. (y)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back