$200 + 30 days = Mortimer hers your $1 -Boba Sorta

Stormrider

Well-Known Hunter
A month ago I wandered in to TDH looking for reference material for a bet.

The standard old $1 bet that would cost me 30 days, $200 and a lot of sleepless nights.

A friend wanted a boba suit. He was going to buy a very nice helmet from ebay for around $400 dollars. While he was showing me what he wanted to do, and told me he was going to spend a lot of money to put together a boba outfit we came up with a bet.

The bet? Create a boba for 200 that to 'NORMAL' starwars fans would
1. Recognize as boba.
2. Would be an Idealized (as opposed to acurate) boba.
3. Would survive three halloween parties with minimal damage.
4. Would cost less than $200 (not including tools) to create.
5. Could be done in 30 days.
6. Would not be called 'cheap' or 'chincy' when seen in public.

So, I set forth looking through TDH. Found WOF templates and made the helmet. Varying slightly from the templates to make it easier and faster to build, considering my time constraints. (The helmet actually started being build before the bet, found on constructables.com or something, which led me here.)

Upon seeing the mostly complete helmet the bet was modified to 'not be able to download and use the templates' then further modified to 'You can use the templates for 'source material' but you cant print and use them.

So, I created my own templates, based off WOF templates in illustrator. I staired a LONG time at them, and cut some corners.

While the following pictures are not great, I wanted to share the 90% complete project with you. Keep in mind its not supposed to be acurate. Im not sure I could even create an acurate boba. I dont have that kind of time or patience.

Here ya go.
a1.jpg
a2.jpg

a3.jpg
a4.jpg
a5.jpg

Now the armour is not for me, its for a guy thats a lot smaller than me. I measured his chest, and hes about 3 inches smaller across, thus the armour plates are too small for me. But he wasnt available to model.

Everything is scratch built. Even the flight suit. Made from the simplicity pattern. I was allowed to buy the boots and modify them, as well as gloves (not done yet).

The rules on buying were:
1 Can not be sold as a boba fett item.
2 Can not exceed $20

So heres the break down.
1 sheet 3mm sintra = $30
1 sheet 1.5 mm sintra = $26
1 Sheet Polystyrene = $10
12 Cans paint x 2.50 = $30
7 Yards fabric for vest / suit = $32
3 Yards Velco = $15
1 pair white leather gloves = $4
1 Pair cheap black vinyl boots = $19
1 girth belt. $9
5 bottles of glue = $18
1 Yard of brown vinyl = $5
Total : $199

Things I had:
wood stock for missile.
Vinyl plotter + vinyl for stickers (kill stripes and chest)
lcd elecs from old projects
19'' Scroll Saw
various tools.
Arrow heads for darts on gauntlets and knees.
Drywall screw holders for drill for dart pieces.
Mustard for mask:)
Tape
various household items.
sewing machine

I have 3-4 days left, to finish the flight suit pockets, and a neck seal. All things I have the materials left for.

Plus to install the elecs and paint the stalk/rangefinder.

Thats all, thanks for looking, and i applaud all your hard work on your custumes. I have a very good idea of what it takes now to make one of these. Your all master craftsman.

I look forward to making a true variant to put on a manequin, something that wont be judged so harshly:)

Ciao and thanks for any help I received.
Mason
I

I wanted to mention theres a cape, not pictured, and theres no dent because I intend to modify this helmet heavily to be a variant when halloweens over. Didnt want to fill a dent:) I may 'paint' one on.

not bad... looks like you have handled that very well... that is the best done costume i have seen for that amount of money in that amount of time.... ever... :p

congrats

Great job man!!!

The best part is the photo of you, your build totally fits the part, imho, that is were most fetts loose it even if they had the movie armor, is the costume wears them. Your definitely wearing the costume!!!:cheers

Thanks alc. The worst part about this was the mess I made doing it. I had time to fabricate, but I didnt have time to clean up quite often. The wifey didnt like it much.

Loveless.. I think I look terrible in it. Im too big for it. I have a broad chest back and big arms (for the suit anyway). I agree though, that its worse when the suit swallows the wearer.

Im 6'2 215 with a 34 inch waist. The guy I made it for is 5'11 165 with a 33 inch waist. I think the chest pieces will look better on him. The rocket pack is very un-acurate. But looks good on. I actually got some of the inspiration from the pack your junior red suit. I built the whole thing saturday and sunday, including paint.

Thanks for checking it out. Im goign to do a bunch of finishing touches and ill take another pic. I just wanted ppl to know that they can make a passable (not film acruate but decent) suit for a couple hundred bucks.

Ive seen a lot of variants lately that inspire me, thats my next project. I _LOVE_ the kill stripes on the shoulder piece, and im going to use that on my next variant. Were are you state wise?
Id like to see more pics of the red armour.

I think it's just the chest pieces that could be a lil larger. But it seems alright.

LOL, I took my nephew trick or treating last year with my mando armor on. (i didnt trick or treat) But it was a lil annoying cause all these kids started following me the whole time. lol

I think I'll party with it this year!!!

Sure can. Its all sintra. Im curious too. The first and second are this friday and saturday night. I installed a beverage holder in the jet pack, and the wires that run up the sleeve, allow for a beverage tube to come out of the gauntlet. So he doesnt have to take off the helmet to refresh himself.

The only thing I worry about is the knees.

I should probably fiberglass them. The sintra doesnt hold up very well. I broke a set already just moving around in them.

Im as curious as you though. As long as he doesnt break the helmet I dont really care what else he does to it. Most of it has been 'rough tested' and passed:)

Its a scratch built, with the top half being a skate helm ($1 garage sale before I even started thinking fett. )

The ears are stacked sintra then ground on a 10 inch grinding wheel.

The alum range stalk is 2 copper recs and a alum square center all gorillad together, to amke the right shape, and be hallow aluminum.

The rest was made from polystyrene .60 or .80 then fiberglassed on the inside (didnt have time to do a mold).

Ill post a closer up pic.

I dont have the visor fully tightened down in these pics. I loosten it to fit it onto my manequin (with a VERY large head.)

a8.jpg

a7.jpg

Workup Pics
helmet.jpg

Bottom is a don post I borrowed to look at to better understand the ears. I noticed the cheeks flare on it, but not on the film version so I posted a pic.

Thanks for all the comments. My family (even my SON is totally dis-interested in my project. Coming here is like going to a support group where people understand!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words. I think it looks good. I pained over not making it acurate. I had to idealize alot of it. And pained over doing so, because I know theres so many very talented, very patient people here that know the difference. This was the first time I ever tried to sew, Form sintra or use the grinder to sculpt.

This project was difficult the first time I did each thing. Once you understand what your trying to do, it gets alot easier. Im hoping he wins some money or something at the costume parties so he can buy me a mannequin (I use a BOB (body opponent bag) punching bag to model the armour/head on. Were the same size) but he has no legs.

Last night I did the neck seal, finished hemming the arms and legs on the flight suit.

Now its time to scour this forum even more, to get ideas on how to polish this thing quick and cheap:)

Ohh. I came up with a very simple way to do a neckseal last night. Something us novice builders can do.

Take your two layers of fabric.
Sew the lower edge of the seal inside/outside together. (while inside out)
Flip it rightside out, it looks like a placemat with a seam in the middle, fold it on the seam.
Now, lay a dowel rod RIGHT up against the seam. (Inside the neck seal)
Keep the bottom fabric taut (straight) and round the top layer around the rod. This will bunch the fabric on the OUTSIDE of the neck seal.
Pin it in there.
Sew along it.
Take it out, slide it up against the next seam.
Pint it
Sew it in.

Repeat till your at the top of your seal. This gives the appearance of 'ribbed' or 'tubed' fabrick, and takes like 10 minutes.

If that doesnt make sense I can make a tut on it. Its really an easy concept and any novice can do it. Its just a matter of knowing what your trying to do:)

Tonight its the pockets and a cape, paint the rangefinder, connect the hoses.

Im thinking about doing the thigh pockets as seperate pieces and then velcro'ing them on, so that I can swap it out for thigh armour on the flight suit.

Anyone tried that?

Im really looking forward to doing a full variant next. Then maybe a real fett once I have more practice.

Its a nice way to unwind, and relax. I spend so much time programming and doing graphic design, its great to do something with my hands other than type and click.

Thanks again for looking!.
Mason

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Leg Pouches.

For those of you that are new to this, i have to say, sewing ON the leg pouches is probably the hardest thing I have tried to do. I ended up having to heavily alter the template and make a back to it and then use velcro.

Im just too uncoordinated for it.

heres pics with my pseudo 6'2 manequin. Tonights the last night of the build. Gaunt buttons, eyestalk, tubes, blaster,cape. Woot.
a9.jpg

a10.jpg

a11.jpg

a12.jpg

Well I for one am inmpressed. At how well this is turning out.Good luck getting it all done in time. I know how rushed you are feeling because I am trying to get my Darth Vader out fit finished by Monday.

Very nicely done!! I would be proud of your accomplishment! (y):cheers(y) Beautiful work, he must be a very "good" friend, he owes you big time!

I know how you feel my wife doen't understand the whole Fett thing she thinks that I am having an online affair, because I like to come hear to relax. Man that is just what I need another woman in my life!! I think not!

I'd be interested in hearing how you did the helmet.

CONGRATS! If he does win some money he should give it to you, or at least half.

Alan

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back