I am new here and need some help.

Jango Fett

New Hunter
Hi, this would be my first post.
I have been wanting to make a Jango/Boba style armor and helmet. I vaguley know what to do. I found the helmet templates and need more templates for the rest of the armor.

Well see I was thinking of making everything out of box cardboard and coat it with fiberglass cloth (which I have no clue on how to use it or which store to get it from).

So can someone list items that I would need to create a fully functional armor? Can someone tell me how to use fiberglass cloth and where to get it? And can someone tell me if box cardboard would work?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Welcome aboard!

If you look around the board, you'll find there are a set of templates for armor too.

As far as cardboard + fiberglass...unless you are heart set on fiberglass armor, I'd just buy some of the pvc 'for sale' signs from the hardware store, or a garbage can or plastic containers, and do plastic armor. It'll be cheaper, and easier to work with. Once you cut your pieces from the plastic, you can heat them with a heat gun and shape them by hand. If you mess up, you can heat them again and reshape.

With fiberglass if you mess up, you'll either start again from scratch, or be sanding until you're blue in the face. For a first set of armor, I'd go plastic - much easier to learn on, cheaper and lighter. All the things you need to make it are at the hardware store too.

-Brian

Welcome to TDH!:cheers I have to say that I am very surprised the username "Jango Fett" was never taken given how long TDH has been around.:eek: Anyway, I'd suggest doing a search for "cardboard" as I know quite a few people have put together many things using cardboard. Some of those threads will show you how they did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard!

If you look around the board, you'll find there are a set of templates for armor too.

As far as cardboard + fiberglass...unless you are heart set on fiberglass armor, I'd just buy some of the pvc 'for sale' signs from the hardware store, or a garbage can or plastic containers, and do plastic armor. It'll be cheaper, and easier to work with. Once you cut your pieces from the plastic, you can heat them with a heat gun and shape them by hand. If you mess up, you can heat them again and reshape.

With fiberglass if you mess up, you'll either start again from scratch, or be sanding until you're blue in the face. For a first set of armor, I'd go plastic - much easier to learn on, cheaper and lighter. All the things you need to make it are at the hardware store too.

-Brian
I was thinking about plastic at first, but then I figured it would take too much work and wont hold up as much as fiberglass.

Welcome to TDH!:cheers I have to say that I am very surprised the username "Jango Fett" was never taken given how long TDH has been around.:eek: Anyway, I'd suggest doing a search for "cardboard" as I know quite a few people have put together many things using cardboard. Some of those threads will show you how they did it.
I was suprised too and yeah I found some templates, thx.

I was thinking about putting some metal plates within the armor to add strength and realistic weight. Is this a good idea?

There are folks that do metal armor. To be honest, the weight really only matters to you. If you don't mind carrying the heft of metal armor, then go for it. I personally feel like there is enough heft b/w the plastic, vest, flight suit and helmet, so I'm sticking with plastic.

As far as durability of plastic - I guess I haven't heard that it is bad. I think you just need to be careful not to let it get too hot in the car, etc.

either way, armor is cool. The only thing you can do wrong, is not make any armor!

-Brian

Alright thanks guys for your inputs. I have a few ideas now and I will be working on them soon. Right now I'll sketch how I want the shape and style of the armor and helmet. I hate to overuse the same style so I MAY improvise some stuff to make it more original looking. Like maybe I'll look in some books of armor and watch a the original trilogy. I may just go with the Jang/Boba Fett looks unless I come up with something better.

I was thinking the weapon of choice would be a sword arm. I have a extra cheap Japanese style sword hanging around in my sword collection. I always wanted a arm mounted sword either way. This would be a perfect opportunity to make one with a fiberglass arm :D.

EDIT:Oh yeah and I was THINKING about putting some electronics in the helmet. I was thinking like a FM radio or something. I can learn how to wire it and tear apart a old broken radio or something. This is of course just a brainstorming idea. I don't want to overdue everything though so this idea might just be scrapped.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back