Another scratch made bucket

Jango72

Active Hunter
Another scratch made bucket - NEW UPDATES!!

I've posted in other threads, but this my first official thread that I initiated. 8)

I came to this site after doing some research for building scratch blasters for a friend of mine. Seeing as he wants to eventually join the 501st as an Imperial Deathstar Trooper, I figured that Jango was just way too cool to not want to have a go at joining the 501st myself.

I came across WoF awesome templates, and being on a budget ( read as has no money ) I figured that it'd be a fun challenge to give it a go. After seeing the success of other members on this board with their helmets, I grabbed some plastic card and gave it my best. ;)

During the process, my 5 year old son commented that my helmet was "really cool", and asked if he could have one too. So... how can you say no. :eek:

Now I'm not finished yet, as I still have tons more work to do, but I thought that I'd share my efforts. I can take constructive criticism, so please tell me where tweek and/or alter to make it more accurate. (y)

So on with the pics...

IMG00212.jpg

IMG00215.jpg

IMG00213.jpg

And this last one is the cardboard helmet that I made for my son. He asked me this morning if he could have a blue visor instead of the red, so I'm off to the hobby store to pick up some more blue tinted plastic card. :)

IMG00210.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The main part of the bucket was made with plastic card that's ~1mm thick. For the curved part of the cheeks, I used 0.080" thick plastic card. The 1mm stuff was free from my room mates work, the 0.080" thick was purchased at a local hobby shop.

And to answer your question dung0beetle, my son is very eager as he loves his new helmet. I still need to do tons of work on his and mine. I've got the make the ears next, but the range finders for both are already done. ( I'll post up pics of them later, as I haven't taken any yet. )

Is the hobby shop you're referring to in that little plaza area with the wendy's and subway? I think I stopped in there when I stayed in ottawa

That's the one my friend, near the intersection of Bank and Huntclub. ;)

They aren't carrying plastic card or any of the Plastruct products anymore, but I have other sources. 8)

Here's a couple of pics of the rangefinders that I've made... all out of plastic of course.

IMG00222.jpg

IMG00230.jpg

IMG00229.jpg

IMG00223.jpg

I made them hollow in case I wanted to add the electronics for the lights later on. :)

Yeah I swung in there. On my way up the ONLY place with any vacancy was this place I believe was called monterey inn. it was on prince of whales ave I think.

I went up to the wendy's to grab some lunch and caught the hobby shop out of the corner of my eye. Saw a bunch of stuff I wanted but didn't pick anything up. I may stop there on my way back thru tho.

Hey those look really good! Nice to see that you're getting your son involved in your hobbies.
I think it's so important to give kids creative things to do, even if it's not so much "hands on," but giving him input into different aspects of the helmet (like the color of the visor) will hopefully let him express his creative side.

Hey those look really good! Nice to see that you're getting your son involved in your hobbies.
I think it's so important to give kids creative things to do, even if it's not so much "hands on," but giving him input into different aspects of the helmet (like the color of the visor) will hopefully let him express his creative side.

My son loves pretty much anything that I make for him, like the putting green I made out of cardboard for him when he was two. I rigged it so he'd get a hole in one every time. ;)

zombierepellent, if you do decide to drop by that shop again you can feel free to give me a buzz as I live a couple of minutes away from there. It's a mere 6 min drive from my house to the airport terminal. Let me know and I can PM you my number. (y)

Oh I'll deffinetly be stopping by, that hobby shop was way better than the one in the west edmonton mall.
It'll be on august 12, I start my way from whitehorse to maine on the first.

Thanks Ghostsoldier, as I've been following your thread on the other forum on the builds that you and your son are doing, I'll consider it a big compliment. :)

Many times I was getting frustrated, and even felt that all my effort was for naught... I had it in my head that my bucket was made too big for me. I've since discovered that it's perfectly sized. ( what a relief )

I found that browsing through your thread over on Mandalorian Mercs really helped to reassure me. So thanks. :cheers

Jango,
No problem, man....glad my tutorial could be of some help! Keep an eye on it...I'm doing the ears build-up right now, and will be adding to the post soon....;)
Rob
(PS...you got any questions, just ask!:))

I've got my left ear finished and attached, now I'm working on finishing up the upper section of the right ear. The range finder and stalk are done, and rotate up and down. ( I used rare earth magnets to hold the stalk in the up position... just in case. )

I'll try to post up picks tomorrow, if I have the time and get enough done. 8)

Well, I haven't had a chance to check out Ghostsoldiers post for his ear build-up update, but I did get a lot more done on mine. I've still got a ton of fine tuning to do, but I thought that I should post some pics and get some feedback from the membership.

I'd like to alter, adjust and/or tweek anything that's just not right ( in a huge way, as minor details can be lived with for now ), before I prep this bucket for primer and paint.

I'm shooting to enter the 501st, so I need all of your help. :cheers (y)

Now on to the pics...

IMG00234.jpg

IMG00235.jpg

IMG00236.jpg

IMG00239.jpg

IMG00240.jpg

From looking at countless photos of Jangos helmet, I think that I should extend the visor opening more towards the ears. ( where the line and arrow in black pen are ) What do you all think... should I extend it, or leave it? :rolleyes

img00242.jpg

Jango,
Your progress is amazing!(y) Looks like you conquered those ears perfect, even without my tutorial! I'm in the process of building the RF and right ear even as we speak, as soon as I can dissect Alan's patterns! The left ears are done...those were the easy ones! Anyways...your helmet looks SWEET! Keep those pics coming!:)
Rob

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back