First Helmet Painted

hellopike

Active Hunter
Hey everybody- the other day I finished my first helmet paint job. It was a Don Post 1996 done in the Pre-Production version 2 style. I say style because I know some of the details aren't entirely accurate. But I'll show you what I got so you can judge wether its ok or not:

Pic #1 How I got the helmet-
dp96.jpg

Initially it was a custom started by someone else. This was how I got it.

Pics 2-6, Work in Progress:
wip1.JPG

wip2.JPG

wip3.JPG

wip4.JPG

wip5.jpg

This thing had like 3 layers of paint and marker on it. after sanding and bondo though, it started shaping up.

Pics 7-10 Finished (mostly)
dpdone1.jpg

dpdone2.jpg

dpdone3.jpg

dpdone4.jpg

So here it is, nearly done. I plan on changing the right earcap to something more accurate, and I may refinish the stalk a bit. But other than that its about done. It was done with spray paint for the base using the mustard method and topical method for damage about a 50/50 split. I find that I don't really like the mustard method and I think I'll be going topical from now on. The mandibles, the cheeks, back, and killstripe were all painted with acryllics by hand. Like I said, its in the style of Pre-pro2 but not 100%.
The next one will probably be all painted by hand, mainly because I personally feel I have more control over the whole thing.

So what do you think sirs?

Phil

I think it's funny how your Fett helmet is sitting on top of an envelope marked urgent.

It's good to see you have your priorities correct(y)

Great work on the helmet!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I had fun with this, and it was a learning experience to say the least. I know what to do and what not to do now. Hopefully the next will be better then the last- well I know it will be just because I'll be starting with a much much nicer helmet. Also BTW, in the completed helmet I replaced the borden connector- its not too noticable, is it? And the damage came out looking ok, right? It's been awhile since I weathered anything really, and like a said the mandibles were all topical.

thanks

Phil

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back