Dyeing my girth belt black...

I tried useing the Rit powder stuff and when it dried it flaked off to my hands!! :angry:angry:confused Any other way to do it? I followed the directions, except putting in cool water...

Evan

Your belt isn't made out of Mohair then. If it's poly then it may be a real pain to get to dye correctly. You may want to use some Rit color stripper before you dye it just to get all the chemicals out of it. Get the liquid dye, a cup of salt, and a pot you don't mind heating up dye in and do it over the stove.

Also, a trick to keep it from shrinking so bad is to stretch the belt while still wet over the length of a 2X4 and use nails to hold the belt using the loops on the ends.

Here is the official list of what fabric types Rit will work on:

Fabric Chart

Stove Technique

Was it polyester? Normally poly won't hold dye well, it's just the nature of the material. Now, anything organic or semi-organic will usually hold dye well.

I dont know exactly what it is? i got it for 14$ at a Tac shop...:) Well thanks guys I will just spray it then...dose it have to be fabric spray paint or just anything...?

sorry guys, your all wrong. your not supposed to use Rit on wool. you have to do what's called an Acid bath. I am doing a run of these belts now. get on the list!!! $50 shipped in the U.S your choice of color. ESB or ROTJ

Kyram,

I tried dying mine as well with no luck.

Then I went the spray pain route with Krylon spray paint.

Worked really well. Just give it enough time to dry on both sides.

(y)

If it's a true Mohair girth, then RIT will work on it. If it's poly or treated then RIT will probably NOT work. JK3's route works best if it's treated or you just don't know =D

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back