Made a Jetpack Beacon

Okay I've been on the fence with this beacon part. Buy one, make it, get a friend to turn one on his buddy's lathe...

I chose to take a crack at building it.

I took WOF's template and broke it into different sizes of styrene disks. Then I glued them together. Later I put a bolt through the center of each styrene blank and tossed them in my hand drill's chuck. Then ran the drill while sanding to the proper shape. The yellowy parts are PVC tubing.

I still have some puttying and fine sanding to do. I'll post a completed photo when I'm done.

It's not screen accurate, but it's good enough considering it cost me zilch to make!(y)

Beacon.jpg

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.
Daz... I also made a stabilizer using your tutorial. It was dead easy to make.(y) I'll try to post a pic.

As for the beacon... Is the light a constant glow or does it blink? I'm thinking since I've used styrene/plastic to build the beacon I should stay away from using a krypton bulb. It may get too warm for the plastic. I'm opting to use an LED, but give it a bit of a light sanding to defuse the light. Does this make sense?

I think this looks great. To my eye it looks practically identical. I have a resin one but I think I may take a stab at this so I can get an LED into it!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back