Youse want mustard wit dat?

drokkul

Well-Known Hunter
Just a couple of quick questions.

To the mustard method gurus. I assume that you have to let the mustard dry out before painting on a new layer. Is this correct?

Is the masking fluid idea any better? And if so what are the best places to find it? I called Michaels and they said they didn't carry anything like that. Hobbytown USA was just a big pause and then the guy said..."So you want paint, right?"
banghead.gif

I tried some liquid latex mold builder on some scrap and while it didn't stain the chrome like someone had mentioned that it might do it did "wrinkle" it. I guess when the latex dried and shrunk it just pulled the chrome paint closer together???

I actually only let the paint dry to the point where I can touch it. Irun the armor under cool water and worked the moo-tard off with my finger.

When I put the mustard on, I paint it right away, I don't let it dry.

I wait until the paint to dry then run it under the water and use a spoon to scrape it off.

Jodo_Kast said:
I actually only let the paint dry to the point where I can touch it.

Ummm...

Did you mean to say mustard instead of paint?

Or are you talking about how long before you put on another layer of paint?

Thanks

GCNgamer128 said:
When I put the mustard on, I paint it right away, I don't let it dry.

I wait until the paint to dry then run it under the water and use a spoon to scrape it off.

You don't have any problems with the mustard running with it being fresh?

I figured as long as you mix it up well so you have a good thick consistency it should work ok.

I just think the mustard is going to taste like crap when I reuse it.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[/quote] I just think the mustard is going to taste like crap when I reuse it.:lol:[/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol:

I have also heard some people trying mayonaise instead of mustard. It doesn't dry out because its oil based (soybean oil) and it will not stain like mustard can.
Try it out on a scrap piece and see what happens. :)

OK.. All this talk about mustard and mayo has made me hungry.. :lol:
See ya. ;)

You do NOT need to let the mustard dry before you paint. I have some Winson & Newtons masking fluid and I don't like it. Sometimes it pulls off the paint around it and makes the "spot" way to big and the wrong shape. I like using mustard.
Just my 2 cents
-Tim-

It does not matter if it is dry or wet.If it dries too much, use one of those green scrubber pads after the paint dries.
Hold it under running water or just wet the scrubber.It takes the mustard right off and does not take off the paint.
I use it for everything now.hahahah sometimes I even use it on my food.

I didn't let the mustard dry either. Mustard is pretty thick, or at least it should be, and you shouldn't have any problems with it running. If it does tend to run on the verticals, use a hair dryer to speed up its drying process. It doesn't need to be dry, just tacky enough to stay on the vertical surfaces.

drokkul said:
Is the masking fluid idea any better? And if so what are the best places to find it? I called Michaels and they said they didn't carry anything like that.

Yes, where do you guys find it? I've had to order via internet.

Fett prop artist said:
Yes, where do you guys find it? I've had to order via internet.

i've gotten mine at AC Moore. any art supply place should have it. it's with the watercolor paints... michael's is more a craft store (in that they don't have a huge selection of traditional "fine art" supplies.

i'm a HUGE fan of the latex stuff. i've never had an issue with it peeling up paint, and i've used it on spray paint that was layed down 30 minutes earlier in the day.

I've found that it allows much finer control once you get used to it. applying it with a small brush, you can get very precise lines. it does take a while to get the hang of it, so I'd recommend practicing on something else before you take it to your helmet.

drokkul said:
Just a couple of quick questions.

To the mustard method gurus. I assume that you have to let the mustard dry out before painting on a new layer. Is this correct?

Is the masking fluid idea any better? And if so what are the best places to find it? I called Michaels and they said they didn't carry anything like that. Hobbytown USA was just a big pause and then the guy said..."So you want paint, right?"
banghead.gif

I tried some liquid latex mold builder on some scrap and while it didn't stain the chrome like someone had mentioned that it might do it did "wrinkle" it. I guess when the latex dried and shrunk it just pulled the chrome paint closer together???

Yes the masking fluid is better for us novice's, you can get at at Michael's in Lexington in Hamburg Pavilion. I fooled with the mustard but it dried and I left a big fingerprint in the paint etc etc Fluid and a rubber pick up worked way better for me at least.

cal196 said:
Yes the masking fluid is better for us novice's, you can get at at Michael's in Lexington in Hamburg Pavilion. I fooled with the mustard but it dried and I left a big fingerprint in the paint etc etc Fluid and a rubber pick up worked way better for me at least.

Thanks much, bro! I called the one on Nicholasville Rd, but they've been remodeling for a while and that may be why they said they didn't have it??? Maybe out of stock? Maybe won't restock until they're done???

Is it with the acrylics or oils? What brand to look for? And what's a rubber pick up??? I assume this is a tool that you can get with it?

Thanks again!!

Ya the rubber pick up it just a deal to pick up glue and stuff you can get that at walmart -didnt find one there- with alot of tips from spideyfett I searched down all this stuff.

The mask is in the back, near the oils, it looks like milk, its not the clear one, Theres no confusion cause theres only two different ones to pick from . And you can get every single color testors at a hobbytown near there.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=7165&highlight=spideyfett+ms2

They have it at the michaels near me but...........$12 a bottle.RIPOFF!!!!Mustard is like a buck, and it works just as good.You can get fine lines, just gotta practice.

Use elmers white glue if you need a cheap source of masking fluid.

since you will not be using water-based paint - you can remove the glue by soaking in water. (or you can just peel it off if you put it on thick enough (not too thick though).

it drys pretty fast - and it's a bit easier to clean up then mustard.

tk7602 said:
i've gotten mine at AC Moore. any art supply place should have it. it's with the watercolor paints... michael's is more a craft store (in that they don't have a huge selection of traditional "fine art" supplies.

Try Hobby Lobby. They have the masking fluid and the rubber cement pick-up.

This is ironic. I went to repaint my gauntlets yesterday, only to find that my bottle of liquid mask was as all dried up. Instead of waiting until I could go to town to get more, I went with mustard & got to painting. The mustard technique absolutely works, but I definately like the way liquid mask works much better. (I gotta agree with Cal on this one) The stuff I normally use is called incredible white mask, and I usually get it at hobby Lobby. I've used this for years, and have never had it pull off paint during removal. It comes off super easy with a rubber pickup eraser, and I found that I can get much more accurate details in my weathering with this stuff, as opposed to mustard. Just my 2 cents,
D

i work at michael's arts and crafts and they have a masking fluid its called Susan Scheewe Blue Masking Fluid it is in the fine arts section and has a ladys face on it and it works really good and its not that pricey but i do git a di$$count :lol: :lol:

kanol matea said:
i work at michael's arts and crafts and they have a masking fluid its called Susan Scheewe Blue Masking Fluid it is in the fine arts section and has a ladys face on it and it works really good and its not that pricey but i do git a di$$count :lol: :lol:

I don't work at Michael's, but I live for the 40% off coupon in just about every Sunday paper!!!

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back