EP3 Clone pilot helmet project (Update: Completed 9/6)

EVO3

Hunter
This is a project that i started about 3 years ago. There were a few other projects that kept putting this helmet on the back burner and although i finished the helmet quite a few months ago, i just got around to molding it. This forum seems pretty hands on when it comes to builds so i thought id post it here from beginning to end. Just pics though.......

Picture2438.jpg

Picture2439.jpg

Picture2440.jpg

Picture2446.jpg

Picture2447.jpg

Picture2448.jpg

Picture2449.jpg

Picture2453.jpg

Picture2454.jpg

Picture2455.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where it restarted.....

pilot3.jpg

LogoTemplate-BonusLogo_07.jpg

pilot2.jpg

pilot4.jpg

pilot5.jpg

pilot6.jpg

pilot7.jpg

Now some side by side pics with a TIE helmet for size comparison.........

pilot8.jpg

pilot9.jpg

pilot10.jpg

Picture4990.jpg

And here we have the clones!

Picture4991.jpg

And after hours of getting high on Bondo and spot putty, here are the fruits of my labor. You'll notice the mohawk has been fixed and it is now indented.

pilot11.jpg

pilot15.jpg

pilot13.jpg

A view from the top shows how the raised lips on the mohawk go back to blend into the helmet.

pilot14.jpg

pilot16.jpg

pilot17.jpg

pilot18.jpg

pilot19.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

From here, i just plugged up the holes from the back with epoxy putty then when that dried, i came in from the top and epoxy puttied the holes. Next was the hose couplers. I fabricated the prototype from PVC pipe and some styrene strips.... a little epoxt putty as well.

12.jpg

Molded that piece and made clones!!!!!

13.jpg

Heres the helmet with all the front work done. Just for the record, the hose couplers will be cast separately from the helmet.

1.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

11.jpg

Work on the back detail has begun as well already.

10.jpg

Back plate installed and ready for primer.....

a.jpg

All primered up!

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

Here is the visor installed. After it was test fitted, i pulled it out and made it into a vacuum buck so that i can make the amber lens.

e.jpg

f.jpg

Here is the buck.

g.jpg

First coat of RTV.........
pilotmold2.jpg

Separating wall for the mother mold..........
mold2.jpg

First of three parts to the mother mold.............
Mold3.jpg

Both sides done...........
Mold4.jpg

Now it'll get flipped over and the whole process will get done to the backside of the helmet.

mold6.jpg

mold5.jpg

Success!!!

Visor has been all cut out. Still need to do the cheek vents.

cast1.jpg

molds2.jpg

molds3.jpg

molds4.jpg

Heres the vac buck for the amber lenses.

molds5.jpg

This project is by no means over. I need to make copies of the visor bucks, then have them thermoformed by a friend. Then its time for a nice paint job. stay tuned for more!

whoa dude! I can't believe it has been 3 years, seems like yesterday. I need two closed visor helmets for my Clone AT-AT Driver project. Your work is amazing!

I know that I have seen this over the pas tfew years, but I just love the progress shots of it all from start to finish!

That is some top-notch stuff there. What's next?

I can't believe it! O.O

Incredible man!!

Can I ask you something? What was the crest originally made? In the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th photo we can se it's a white and flexible material but... which is it?

Thanks and congratulations!

Thanks guys! Yeah, now to decide on a paint job.:facepalm

I can't believe it! O.O

Incredible man!!

Can I ask you something? What was the crest originally made? In the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th photo we can se it's a white and flexible material but... which is it?

Thanks and congratulations!

Its plastic styrene. You can get it at most hobby stores. Its under the name "Evergreen".;)

Dam Evo that is some nice work indeed I would love one of these helmets you going to be doing them for people let me know, and I will say again very very nice work im licking my lips just looking at it in amazment.

that is stupid nice, evo!! i like the inset trim trick on top of the helmet. impressive ,most impressive.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back